Batteries As Cache Items

PlasteredDragon

I've come across several log entries where someone didn't notice their batteries were nearly dead until they were a good ways down the trail, and were extremely happy to find a set of fresh batteries at the cache. (Especially if they didn't know the area well and were relying on their GPSr to help them find their car again afterwards! :( )

I leave them all the time and people have been very happy to find them. I think in most cases they will be traded out before they start to leak. And freezing does not harm the batteries at all (in fact some people believe storing them in a freezer helps them keep longer).

Almost all of the GPS units I've seen use 2 AA batteries.

Good cache fodder, but store them in original wrappers maybe?

I think that’s the key. I have found loose batteries rolling around in the bottom of a cache and I think those types of things just get left because no one knows if they are any good. A while back, out Albertson’s grocery store ran a sale on a 4 pack of alkaline AA batteries for $0.94. I bought a handful to use and trade and now I wish I had bought a cart full! :(

I leave them all the time and people have been very happy to find them. I think in most cases they will be traded out before they start to leak. And freezing does not harm the batteries at all (in fact some people believe storing them in a freezer helps them keep longer).

As an electronics technician, I can tell you that freezing batteries will reduce the leakage current during storage. However, the batteries must be returned to room temperature before using for optimal performance.

There is very little to be gained by freezing alkaline batteries though. They retain 90% of their power after 5 years when stored at room temperature. By freezing, you are only adding 5% to this number.

Rechargable batteries lose most of their power after just a few days at room temperature. Freezing can keep the charge level at 90% for months.

your results may vary, void where prohibited

My experience with batteries is that a good set of coppertops will last 8 hrs in my GPS. I put some cheap-o batteries in and they lasted 30 minutes. Not cost effective at all.

Batteries in a cache is "normally" a good idea. Please keep in mind that cheapo batts are much more likely to corrode.

Almost all of the GPS units I've seen use 2 AA batteries.

Good cache fodder, but store them in original wrappers maybe?

Markwell, you will need to forgive my very rusty German and drifting off topic a bit but you should get my drift. Setzen Ihren Schuhe dabei der Kamin. That should fix your perpetual "Schuhe Problem."

My old Palm IIIxe uses AAA batteries and my Garmin uses AA's so either is appreciated when they are found in a cache. Just my 2 cents worth.

MM

I placed two AA batteries in a new cache I put out. I thought it would be the FTF prize. Instead, the first person to find the cache took the "ready-made" Micro -- a 35mm film canister with micro log inside . . . :(

I think they are a great idea -- (if they are fresh). :(

This post is about Batteries in a Cache. Please continue reading.

While reading through the Forums today I noticed something relevant to this Thread in another one that was seemingly unrelated. That thread is discussing Goecaching Policies in Parks. The OP gave an example of an Anti-Geocaching Policy. Here is a Link to that Thread: My E-mail To Mn Tourism & Dnr, regarding no geocaches in MN State Parks

Another poster provided a much more enlightened Florida Policy. Here is a link to that Post: The portion of the Florida State Park procedures manual related to geocaching

But here is the germane part of that Florida Policy:

Geocaches may not be placed in state parks without verbal permission by the Park Manager. Caches should not be buried, should not contribute to trail-blazing, should not be placed in an active burn zone, and should not be in areas where access is prohibited or discouraged (e.g., dunes, archaeological sites, or sensitive areas). No toxic or explosive substances, including batteries, lighters, matches, aerosol cans, etc., should be included in a cache.

How common is this NO BATTERIES policy? We all know that many people ignore the NO POCKET KNIVES guideline, because they don't agree with it. Do we also turn an equally blind eye to NO BATTERIES policies, because we don't like them either?

Checking 49 CFR, (Chapter 49 of the Code of Fedreal Regulations - Hazardous Materials), lithium batteries are considered hazardous (flammable when wet), as are acid or akaline batteries (Class 8 - corrosive). Regular AAs (or AAA for the Geko users) are not considered hazardous (i.e., not regulated by 49 CFR, IATA or IMDG). They do, however, contain toxic chemicals. They should never be thrown out with the garbage; they should be recycled. Thus, they may be prohibited by cognizant authorities.

As to whether they are a good idea as swag, my first Find (Terrace Pond Cache) had AAs. They'd been there for several months, and probably over the winter. They were deader than a doornail (even deader than a dead rock!) I would never leave them in a cache. I might remove them as CITO. I set out a Furby as a TB, to travel from NJ to Maine, with fresh batteries. One month of NJ winter weather killed those batteries. (And I have not yet forgiven avroair for moving the Grey Furby TB to Maryland!)

My experience with batteries is that a good set of coppertops will last 8 hrs in my GPS. I put some cheap-o batteries in and they lasted 30 minutes. Not cost effective at all.

Batteries in a cache is "normally" a good idea. Please keep in mind that cheapo batts are much more likely to corrode.

Boy, I'd sure like to avoid those 30min. pieces of junk. What brand were they?

Do most GPSrs use AA, or do some use AAA?

The Geko uses AAA's.

In direct response terms, that translates to YES, most use AA's. Amazing.

Yes, I realized later that the obtuse wording of my post basically answered myself. And the answer, though included, was cheerfully expanded upon. Oh, well. This is what I get for working in a call center for a year . . .

This post is about Batteries in a Cache. Please continue reading.

While reading through the Forums today I noticed something relevant to this Thread in another one that was seemingly unrelated. That thread is discussing Goecaching Policies in Parks. The OP gave an example of an Anti-Geocaching Policy. Here is a Link to that Thread: My E-mail To Mn Tourism & Dnr, regarding no geocaches in MN State Parks

Another poster provided a much more enlightened Florida Policy. Here is a link to that Post: The portion of the Florida State Park procedures manual related to geocaching

But here is the germane part of that Florida Policy:

Geocaches may not be placed in state parks without verbal permission by the Park Manager. Caches should not be buried, should not contribute to trail-blazing, should not be placed in an active burn zone, and should not be in areas where access is prohibited or discouraged (e.g., dunes, archaeological sites, or sensitive areas). No toxic or explosive substances, including batteries, lighters, matches, aerosol cans, etc., should be included in a cache.

How common is this NO BATTERIES policy? We all know that many people ignore the NO POCKET KNIVES guideline, because they don't agree with it. Do we also turn an equally blind eye to NO BATTERIES policies, because we don't like them either?

Sure have a lot of nerve....don't they?

The Geko uses AAA's.

Yes, I realized later that the obtuse wording of my post basically answered myself. And the answer, though included, was cheerfully expanded upon. Oh, well. This is what I get for working in a call center for a year . . .

Cheerfully? No. Pre-nuked.

As a geocacher who earns his livelihood working for one of the battery companies, I would be thrilled if every cacher left batteries in a cache.

Whenever I get my hands on some extra e2 Lithiums I try to leave them in good caches as nice swag for the next cacher. At a few great caches I've been known to leave 15 minute chargers and 2500 mAh batteries. And kids love the Energizer Bunny stuffed animals and beanie babies.

The Geko uses AAA's.

I don't think your answer was obtuse at all. Partial? Sure. It was a two part question and you answered the second part very directly.

What I find amazing though is...nevermind. If I continue I'd be guilty of the same thing.

I think a great ftf prize would be a ten pack of AA's! It's a pain going to Wal-mart to get batteries, I'd rather find mine in the woods lol. :laughing:

Lithium e2's come in 10-packs!?? Where are they at?

(still high on my e2 experience)

I love this battery prize thread. I can't believe someone would find harm in it. Yes batteries may be offensive, but so is littering - and leaving a box full of crap in the middle of the woods, even though it has a purpose, still could be constituted as litter. D A M N the local ordinances! I guess we'd better just stop caching. :laughing:

Edited by Marcie/Eric

The only thing that astounds me in this thread is how many people don't use rechargeable batteries. I'm astounded that people are using alkalines in something that goes through batteries as quickly as it does. I love my 15 minutes rechargeable ray-o-vac batteries.

That said, given the number of people that seem to use alkalines, then I'd personally say it definitely makes a good item to leave.

• My GPS V use 4 AA (which my manual says will last 40 hours)

• My Palm IIIxe uses 4 AAA

• My Fuji Digital Camera uses 2 AA

I use rechargeables & could never go back to buying batteries.:ph34r:

However, I keep a set or two in my pack in case another cacher might need em'

Edit: had the # wrong for my digital

Edited by vfrpilot
I use rechargeables & could never go back to buying batteries.:ph34r:

. . .

I agree. I have about 14 or 16 rechargeable batteries and I use them for everything from my cordless mouse to my TV remote to flashlights to my headlamp to my Fuji camera and, of course, my GPSr.

I can't imagine buying alkalines that are going to be thrown away so quickly. :ph34r: