Bremerton Cache Machine II

travisl

well this being my first machine looking really forward to it still being a no0b and all to geocaching sort-of is their a way to tell when other cache machines are comming up in the northwest area? tried to do a search but unsucceful any help appreciated if you wouldnt mind email me please

gregory.schuy@us.army.mil

Ok- I'm trying to solidify my plans for this- what hotel are people using? Poodleranch and I are going to stay Fri and Sat night.

Allanon & I are booked at the Cimarron Motel. It looks like it is real close to the Starting point.

I am also staying there.

My wife and I stayed there for our anniversary last year. It's a decent motel.

is their a way to tell when other cache machines are comming up in the northwest area?

Check out Travisl's web page.

Eep! I need to update that. The locations are right, the dates ain't.

By the way, the BCM2 got a paragraph in today's Bremerton Sun (free registration required, or bugmenot.com):

On June 18, the county will host for the second time the Bremerton Cache Machine, a marathon cache hunt held at Schold Farm in Central Kitsap. The event is expected to draw geocachers of all ages, and all levels of experience, from around the Puget Sound region.

Cool!

On June 18, the county will host for the second time the Bremerton Cache Machine, a marathon cache hunt held at Schold Farm in Central Kitsap. The event is expected to draw geocachers of all ages, and all levels of experience, from around the Puget Sound region.

In the sidebar in the physical paper - not online - the reporter was a bit confused. It implys that all 109 caches on the route are in Schold Farm.

Talk about cache saturation!

Based on the latest encarnation of TravisL's PDF file, there are still a few problems with

the following cache sites to be hunted. Perhaps others here in Kitsap County would like to

offer their comments as well.

5 - This is a Multi-Cache. After finishing with cache #4, you will have to go South past

the general area of the final cache, in order to get to the first waypoint. After you have

backtracked North to the cache and found it, you will have to continue North to where you

parked your vehicle.

6 - After returning to your vehicle, drive South on Schold Road for about two city blocks.

Parking is on the road only. Alternate parking is available, but you have to drive back to

Silverdale Way, turn South for about two city blocks to the Gateway Skate Park and then

turn West into the North-End entrance of that park.

17 - This cache is TIDE-DEPENDENT! Do Not bushwack from the Viewing Area, which is part way

down the trail to the beach. Parking is roadside only on Traycton Blvd. There is a short

walk into the park and then a dirt trail down to the beach. If you don't plan for a low

tide, then you will have to do a balancing act along the top edge of a bulkhead above the

water. Don't fall in!

25, 29 & 30 - Thompson Drive is a GATED access, as previously mentioned by Bull Moose and

myself, thus making for a lengthy walk and Off-Trail searching for these three caches. The

least time consuming cache is #29. Good luck on the other two caches.

NOTE: If you insist on hunting for all three of these caches, you WILL be using up a lot

more time than you have planned. Figure on at least an hour or longer #25 and #30.

59 - Parking for this cache is limited to the side of the road. The walk to the cache is

lengthy. It took Mntrken2001 and I about ten minutes by bicycle.

72 - This is a Multi-Cache. The first waypoint is kind-of on the way to the final cache.

86 - Access to this cache requires a lengthy walk from the parking area and a somewhat

treacherous 30 degree or more drop into a canyon. The trail, if you want to call it that,

is a dirt embankment and it can be Very Slippery after a rainfall, for about 50 feet.

See you along the way! Don't forget to be at Angel's Buffet not later than 2030 or 8:30 PM.

Edited by Fledermaus

wondering...are thewir any nut jobs other than myself who dont plan to sleep night before?..if so im thinking about trying to go after a few extra night caches outside of are area where we plan to attack i know of at least 3 that did not make it on the list and are bound to be quite a few more if anyone is up for the idea let me know prefer by email...

:laughing: podlians pod :laughing:

gregory.schuy@us.army.mil

Recdiver, or anyone else wanting to carpool -

Peggy and I have room in our vehicle for 2 others (3 if you are very friendly), and we're also staying at the Cimarron. I'll bet the desk clerk is going to be overwhelmed by a bunch of people checking out at 4 in the morning...

Recdiver, or anyone else wanting to carpool -

Peggy and I have room in our vehicle for 2 others (3 if you are very friendly), and we're also staying at the Cimarron. I'll bet the desk clerk is going to be overwhelmed by a bunch of people checking out at 4 in the morning...

Naw, they'll be overwhelmed beween 03:00 & 03:30 with everyone trying to be at the starting point at 04:00. :ph34r:

A quick question, anyone know of the easiest way to download all of the cache pages onto my Pocket PC. I know I could run a pocket querie, but think that would pull in a lot of caches not on the list. Just wondering if there was an easier way to do this.

Thanks for any help!

I've found it useful to use the same search parameters that Travis uses. Maybe he could share the specifics of this one with us...

By the way, I'm sure things are crazy just now, but is there going to be a final .pdf posted? We're hitting the road in a couple of days and I'll need time to print off the route.

Many thanks!

Wow, time is sure flying! :mad: I can't believe the cache machine is this weekend.

I want to really stress how delicate the area around #5 Isadora's Pink Ribbon is. These are very small saplings. The tree is just a few feet off the road, please try to stay on the road as much as possible. A lot of children put quite a bit of time and effort into planting these.

We did some cache mainenance at #17 Children's Park Beach this weekend. We've changed the lid on the cache to make it easier to open. The listed park hours are from 9:00am to dusk. (it's up to you :D )

We also changed out the lid on the cache at #27 The Legend of Illahee Hollow. It should be much easier to open.

Another note, the Howe Farm series has a very small parking lot, it holds about 5 cars.

We've done the majority of the caches, but we'll be hanging around to offer encouragement to everyone. We'll see everyone at the dinners!

The final route is posted, as is the MapPoint .ptm (for the few folks who can use it).

The pre-event dinner will be at 7:00 on Friday, June 17, at Round Table Pizza in Silverdale, 3276 NW Plaza Rd.

I've found it useful to use the same search parameters that Travis uses. Maybe he could share the specifics of this one with us...

I'm hoping MrGigabyte builds another .gpx file for us, but until then, the pocket query I used is:

500 caches, any type, any container, terrain and difficulty less than or equal to 4, Washington, centered at 47 40.200, 122 49.200, 100 mile radius.

I did some upkeep on Health Walk and Colchester Park tonight. Mostly trimming the more offensive blackberry vines.

I'm also gonna put new logs in a couple of caches tomorrow.

Have fun, folks. I'll think about you-all through my Tiki Crawl-induced fog.

[edit--why doesn't someone put a spel chker in this forem?]

Edited by Shop99er

I have put together a download page,

BCM2 Downloads

with a GPX file, and a PDB file (Cachemate) based on the list MrGigabyte put together. 105 caches, not including the BCM2 twice, and not including the restaurant and the disabled cache. The GPX is zipped and ready for GSAK, and the PDB is ready to install to your Palm.

I hope this helps, and hope to see you this weekend!

Wow...sure are lots of cemeteries on the Machine... :ph34r:

It's not that I mind cemeteries, I'm just thinking that all that traffic and the stampede that normally comes with a CM might be a little damaging and have the effect of pissing everyone (cache owners and muggles that may be there) off...

Is anyone else remotely worried about this or am I just being overly paranoid?

If you look the cemetary caches are pretty far down the list so the likelyhood of having more than one or two groups showing up at the same time is pretty small, at least minimizing the visual impact on the casual observer. In fact they are far enough down the list that it is likely that a lot of the cachers will never even get to them (not meant as a challange, just an observation).

I've never had or seen a porblem caching cemeteries, even during a CM.

Indian Lore did end up getting archived because of the CM. It probably would have ended up being archived eventually anyway but the CM did seem to bring the issue to a head.

Most of the cemetaries on the route are small ones that shouldn't be any kind of problem. I would like to suggest people are on their best behaviors though on Veterans East and Veterans West. It's a nice military cemetary in a military town and very open to the road. Chances are with two caches from the same parking spot a large group will show up. Shouldn't be a problem though.

My wife has decided to join me on this CM (I'm thinking to make sure I don't try to climb anymore mountains in her car). :ph34r:

She did a few caches with me coming backing from Idaho and is interested so this should be a good indoctrination for her. :lol:

We are getting off work at 3 PM on the Eastside so we'll be trying for the 4:20 Seattle to Bremerton ferry.

See y'll over there.

Good Luck on making that ferry on a Friday afternoon.

:ph34r:

Yeah I know however 3 is the earliest my wife can get off so I guess we'll just sit in line for a couple hours if we are lucky.

Or try the Edmonds-Kingston route.

Edited by Recdiver

Hi all!

I'll be heading to Bremerton tomorrow after I get off work. I've not made any plans to ride with someone on Saturday; something I would like to do. I can be a good navigator. I used to live in Kitsap and know my way around well.

If anyone is interested, feel free to email me (I'll have access to my email until I leave for work tomorrow morning) and then I will be at the pre gathering tomorrow night.

I'm curious about the Banner Forest caches; numbers 59 & 60. Is there closer parking for them than the other Banner Forest caches or is there another reason these 2 were chosen and the other traditionals were not?

Log Walk Cache & I TOT I TAW A PUTTY TAT

I'm not sure about Log Walk as I haven't done it, but I tot... can be accessed via Olalla Valley Road (you'll see the trail head). It's a pretty quick grab from there as there is no route finding.

Parking is pretty limited there, though.

I'm curious about the Banner Forest caches; numbers 59 & 60. Is there closer parking for them than the other Banner Forest caches or is there another reason these 2 were chosen and the other traditionals were not?

Log Walk Cache & I TOT I TAW A PUTTY TAT

I'm not sure about Log Walk as I haven't done it, but I tot... can be accessed via Olalla Valley Road (you'll see the trail head). It's a pretty quick grab from there as there is no route finding.

Parking is pretty limited there, though.

Easiest access to Log Walk is also from Olalla Valley Road (same trailhead). Not a lot of parking, but as far down on the list as they are, that shouldn't be a problem.

WooHoo what a blast 51 finds. Of course I got a screw in a tire and had to change a tire between finds (the tire curse continues) and I did a face plant on the beach and can hardly walk this morning, at least I didn't break anything. :D

The Birthday Party team was awesome. Thanks Little Blue (the b'day girl), Allanon, Land Rover, PoodleRancher, Andrewrj, and Frodo. And my wife Talks2animals for joining us.

We even got rousted by the local police.

Travis you did a great job of putting this together THANKS.

And THANKS to all the people who put out the hides. High Fives to you all.