Bremerton Cache Machine II

travisl

I'll definately try to make it to this one....I missed the last in Wenatchee due to poor scheduling at work......This one is only 4 days after I start in my new "position" at work, and it's an extra 2 hours to drive because of the move. I'll really try to be there, although I'm hesitant asking for a weekend off in my new store after only being there for 4 days. Also, that's a long drive alone.....

We'll see what happens....

~D

I think I'm gonna organize this one a tiny bit differently. I've got my first draft of the route almost ready to post, and it's got 109 stops on it. Bremerton's cache density is about 20% multis, so I've included a lot of fairly quick multis on it, including several of the Mosquito Fleet series and the Cemetery Quest series.

Most of the previous cache machine routes have had a time schedule listed, mainly because my MapPoint software won't generate a route without it. I'd found that allocating 6 minutes per cache worked fairly well. Five minutes and we fell behind schedule; 7 minutes and we were done early.

Without allocating any time per cache, the draft route starts at 4:30 a.m. and ends at 1:30 p.m. Assuming 5 minutes per cache, that adds about nine hours, causing the route to end well beyond the 9:00 closing time of the restaurant (more on this two paragraphs down).

So... I'm not gonna allocate any time on this one. The schedule, although it'll be listed on the draft route, will be impossible to meet. There will be more caches on the route than one could reasonably do in a full day, particularly given the number of multis, and the inclusion of a block of caches in a maze of twisty trails in Banner Forest. We'll start at 4:30 a.m. on a night cache, and then just do as many as we can before 8:30 p.m.

Fledermaus has been kind enough to contact a few local restaurants, and the manager of Angel's Homestyle Buffet told him that if we show up before the 9:00 p.m. closing time, remaining after closing time won't be a problem.

Translation: be there no later than 8:30 if you want to eat.

For dinner on Friday, I'm eyeing Round Table Pizza in Silverdale. I'll give them a call to see what facilities they have.

I used to live in Silverdale, and from what i remember the Round Table Pizza is rather small. Other possibilities would be the Silver City Brew Pub (pretty sure minors would be allowed there, think they have a dining area and a bare area). There is also an Azteca, Tony Romas, Red Robin, Red Lobster, Olive Garden etc, in Silverdale. I can't think of many other places that could hold a large crowd though.

Round Table is still pretty small. No change there.

Minors are allowed in Silver City, but there isn't a lot of room there, either. The best bet for them would be the upstairs area. I have no clue how many it will hold, though. We had 80 at the Spring Fling, and I doubt if SC could hold that many.

Tony Roma's has a fair-sized room, but again, not too big. We had the Calfing for Bull & Mrs. Moose there.

I don't think the others are much better. We haven't been to Azteca in years, so I have absolutly no clue about them.

There really isn't too much in Bremerton/Silverdale that can hold a mob of any real size.

We were trying to estimate roughly how many people the cache machine would bring in too. We thought about Silver City Brewery, but I just called them and the upstairs only holds about 60 people. I don't think Azteca has much more room either. Fledermaus's idea about Angel's Buffet might be a good idea. The only problem I can see is that they don't serve alcohol. It does have a large banquet area though.

The buffet sounds good for Saturday, I was just thinking for on Friday. Another idea, would be a potluck gathering like the one before the Gig Harbor cache machine. That was nice.

I'm looking forward to caching in the area since I lived there for 6 years (before I was into caching).

Between stops 50 and 51 the route crosses SR16 at Burley-Olalla Road. That road no longer crosses SR16. Eastbound traffic must turn right. The route will either need to get to SR16 at Purdy or go further north and come southbound on SR16 to make the left turn onto Burley-Olalla. Be advised that Just Hangin Out is about a half mile in from the road. There is also a bonus cache a bit further in.

Oh, darn! I don't know what dumb things you've done. :o Obviously that's a VERY ambitious schedule!

I will not be going on the CM, but if anyone would like a place to stay on Friday or Saturday night, you're welcome at my place. There's grass for a few tents and enough parking for a few cars and/or a couple trailers (electricity and water available, but sorry, no sewer). Sleeping bags work on the floor too. If you go due east of cache #60 until you almost hit the water and then just slightly north, you'll be at my place (personally, I'd choose the more indirect route, it'll get you there faster).

Comments on a couple caches on the list: #58 is a pretty park/beach, but with a steep 1/2 mile old road to walk, it'll take up a lot of time: #59 is only a good idea if you have a lot of time to wander around the forest being lost :D : #60 & 61 are close enough to the road that goes through the forest, but you'd want to park at the Banner Road entrance for one and the Olalla Valley Road entrance for the other to save walking time. "Murder For a Jar of Red Rum" isn't on your list - but if people solve the puzzle, they'll want to do it when they're doing #60.

Looks pretty cool! One traffic revision note:

6:05 AM 21.2 mi Turn LEFT (North-East) onto NE Gluds Pond St [NE

Gluds Pond Rd] for 0.1 mi

6:06 AM 21.3 mi Turn LEFT (North) onto Brownsville Hwy NE for 0.7

mi

Where Gluds Pond meets Brownsville Hwy has been blocked off. You will need to direct traffic further down Wagga way to where Brownsville Hwy meets (at the light).

New Caches are popping up all over the place. Just three new ones down by Lyon's Field here in Bremerton today. Also some of Ray's caches have been archived and listed elsewhere, but new caches are taking their place. I will probably be out of town on that date but I hope everyone will enjoy their self.

Dick, W7WT

I'll be commuting from my home in Lakewood, so I won't need a motel for this one. Other cachers will, though. What's decent and cheap in the area, if someone wants something other than a tent in Belleterre's yard?

A tent in my yard! :)

Silverdale is going to be the best bet as that's where the start is. I'll see if I can scratch together a list of places to stay (where you pay) unless someone else beats me to the punch.

DINNER WHERE:

Angel's Homestyle Buffet

4111 Wheaton Way

Bremerton, WA. 98310

(360)377-7044

HOURS: Saturday

Breakfast: 0800 - 1130(8:30am-11:30am).

Lunch: 1130 - 1600(11:30am-4pm).

Dinner: 1600 - 2100(4pm-9pm).

DINNER RATES:

Adults(13-59): $9.81

Seniors(60+): $8.79

Children(Under13) & Military Discounts Available.

WHAT'S AVAILABLE:

Banquette Room #1: 65 persons.

Banquette Room #2: 39 persons.

Overflow in Main Area Available.

TIME AVAILABLE:

Please be there at or about 2030(8:30pm).

Doors are normally closed at 2100(9pm).

We will have the "run of the place" after hours.

WHERE TO PARK:

North & East side of building, plus an area adjacent

to the Family Pancake House and on the roadside

to the South. If necessary, you may also park at the

Firestone Store, since they are closed at that hour.

NOTES:

The Manager & Owner are fully aware of up to 100

people(ages 8 to 80) will be in attendance and they

are expecting 1 to 2 hours on site, or as arranged.

Got Questions? Ask TravisL!

CUL8R

Edited by Fledermaus

UPDATED LISTINGS SINCE ORIGINAL POSTING!

I was thinking of just letting all you "out-of-towners" muddle through the posted present PDF file route and discover the errors along the way, but I have decided to update the said route with a few helpful notes of my own. Knowing the area and having done most, if not all of the caches on the list, gives me a better insight of what you are about to encounter. This information may or may not cause changes to the planned route, since TravisL is in charge of that department.

Hope to see you all at Angel's Buffet. BTW, I have no association with that business, either directly or otherwise, but I do wish I could get a 10% commision rate on their sales for that evening. I'll be standing their with my tin can in hand, dark glasses and my white cane, hoping for a few Duckets or Dabloons.

=====================================================

CACHE# COMMENTS AND/OR SUGGESTIONS

008 This is a lengthy walk in from that parking area.

013 Re-titled as "Old Saw Mill Park"(removed -I), West End.

*** NOTE: New One-step cache in the same park, East End:

"Silverdale: Old Saw Mill Park - Moket".

*** NOTE: New cache in Tracyton near Boat Launch ramp:

"End of the Road"

019 Limited parking, roadside only!

022 Parking is 1 Block West, McWilliams Park & Ride lot.

023 For Premium Members Only!

025-028 You can no longer drive beyond a gate that has now

been placed about 100 feet in from Riddell Road on

Thompson Drive, causing a lengthy walk to 27 & 28.

*** NOTE: New cache between 031 & 032 at North End of

Warren Bridge: "USS Bremerton: Twin Guns".

*** NOTE: There are two new caches between 33 & 34,

See: "Helium - Element 2" and "Lithium - Element 3".

035 Somewhat dangerous climb down a rocky slope and the

cache is Tide Dependent".

*** NOTE: Two new caches near Manette Bridge.

"9th Street Park" with room to park 4-5 cars and

"Hydrogen - Element 1" with parking lot nearby.

037 Access is from a usually full parking area behind the

Harrison Memorial Hospital. Enter the trail at the

Madrona Grove sign.

047 How are you going to do a night cache in daylight?

051 Check coords.(Parking only?) Lengthy walk to cache!

052 How are you going to do a night cache in daylight?

056 Multi? with a lengthy walk on the beach!

057-058 Lengthy walk down a Gated switchback road to beach.

059-060 Posted "No Access To Park" from Overaa Road(PVT)

and there are no trails either. Lengthy walk from

Gated access road near Overra and Banner Roads.

061 Lengthy walk from possibly Gated access road.

077 You found the back door! Limited parking on street.

088 A steep drop into a canyon. Slippery When Wet!

090-091 Access from Lincoln Road or other nearby public

roadway not possible. Must park in South Kitsap

Community Park West Entrance with a lengthy walk

to each, and there are no direct trails between.

097-098 No access to cache as shown. Go to Pendargas Park

first and do 098, with a lengthy walk to 097.

100 Formally at the Ammo-Bunkers, this cache has been

re-located to a new area closer to parking area.

103-104 Limited park for 3-4 vehicles in parking area off

a narrow alley-like street. Park on 15th at Arvon.

106 Park in lot at North End of Pacific Ave. from 11th.

107 Limted park for three vehicles. Park vehilces on

Park Ave. between 11th & 13th. Do not park on 13th.

108 Park at East End of the Quad 4000 business complex,

located behind the IHOP and KFC business(accross

from the Family Pancake House and Angel's Buffet.

109 Additional parking is available at the Firestone

Store(I got permission). Angel's and F.P.H. share

common parking areas.

FINAL NOTES:

A "lengthy walk" implies a distance that takes an average

of up to 20 minutes to traverse.

This is a Very Ambitious Route and I seriously doubt that

you will get through all of it in the time alloted.

I will see you periodically along the route and will be

available by CB Radio(channel 3), Amateur Radio 2 Meters

on 147.540 MHz Simplex and FRS Radio channel 2.

/\/**\/\ Fledermaus

Edited by Fledermaus

For informational purposes only, it should be noted for any that are attending that use "that other site" that there are a few of those caches in the area. Two near stops 25-28, one near stops 1/2, one near stop 9, one near stop 11, one near the Manette Bridge, as well as a few others that those interested can find.

If I'm in town that day (the wife is making plans, I think. I'm trying to put a kabosh on them, though) I think I might go to the Warren Ave. Bridge cache and watch people scramble up and down. That's entertainment. :(

For informational purposes only, it should be noted for any that are attending that use "that other site" that there are a few of those caches in the area. Two near stops 25-28, one near stops 1/2, one near stop 9, one near stop 11, one near the Manette Bridge, as well as a few others that those interested can find.

If I'm in town that day (the wife is making plans, I think. I'm trying to put a kabosh on them, though) I think I might go to the Warren Ave. Bridge cache and watch people scramble up and down. That's entertainment. :D

I believe I did that one couple of times. LOL. First time coudlnt' find it and then came back and got it when I went with Ms. Wienerdog and Pepper to bRemerton back Aug 2003. Tough little hide.

#23 on the route Kids and Drills has been muggled.  It is now disabled and the owner has posted a note saying they're not going to replace it.

#57 Depression also seems to be missing. Though to be honest I've tried it twice (once with a prevoius finder) when it was supposedly there and couldn't find it. It seems to have a habit of changing spots.

Depression: Been there a long time and someone said that is what you get when you hunt for it and can't find it. Dick, W7WT

#23 on the route Kids and Drills has been muggled.  It is now disabled and the owner has posted a note saying they're not going to replace it.

#57 Depression also seems to be missing. Though to be honest I've tried it twice (once with a prevoius finder) when it was supposedly there and couldn't find it. It seems to have a habit of changing spots.

Depression: Been there a long time and someone said that is what you get when you hunt for it and can't find it. Dick, W7WT

I second that. I looked for that thing 5 times before I found it. I'd offer to check on it but I doubt my ability to find it again. :)

I was just pondering the same thing yesterday...

Is anybody going that wants to split a room for Friday night?

I may be in for 1/2 a room, I have to check with mommy first.

So, what did your mommy say? :)

Mommy says I can go, just don't book a suite at the Ritz-Carlton. :)

What hotels are in the area?  And where is everyone else staying?

I promised a list of hotels, so I'm finally getting around to it. There are probably more, but these are pretty handy according to my copy of MapPoint:

• Westcoast Silverdale Hotel
    3073 NW Bucklin Hill Rd
    Silverdale, WA 98383
    (360) 698-1000
  • Cimarron Motel
    9734 Silverdale Way NW
    Silverdale, WA 98383
    (360) 692-7777
  • Poplars Motel
    9800 Silverdale Way NW
    Silverdale, WA 98383
    (360) 692-6126
  • Bird's Eye View Bed &Breakfast
    8226 Kaster Dr NE
    Bremerton, WA 98311
    (360) 698-2448
  • Continental Inn
    1783 SR-308
    Poulsbo, WA 98370
    (360) 779-5575

There are many more in Poulsbo or further south in Bremerton, but these seemed close to the start. Plus, if anyone is looking for a freebie, there are a few offers of lawn space above!

I will not be going on the CM, but if anyone would like a place to stay on Friday or Saturday night, you're welcome at my place. There's grass for a few tents and enough parking for a few cars and/or a couple trailers (electricity and water available, but sorry, no sewer). Sleeping bags work on the floor too.

Belleterre

If your offer is still open I would like to take you up on a tent spot on the lawn.

AndrewRJ