2005 Jeep Promo -- Your Thoughts?

RE: http://jeep.geocaching.com/

Interesting that the contest is weekly and only 1 Jeep this time around. The part that interests me the most is the TB portion which doesn't start till June. The featuring tougher challenges, more gear giveaways and new 2005 Jeep Travel Bugs interests me.

Challenges? That's new. I also wonder if the Jeep TBs will be a different color. Anyone in the know have any details they can share? Jeremy?

I just took a look at the sweepstakes entry page and the drop down box has selections for Alaska, Hawaii and Florida. The three states where entry is prohibited.

I guess they don't want to miss out on a marketing opportunity via email and snail mail. Even if they are too cheap to pay the little bit extra it would cost to ship the prizes to HI and AK.

Little hint to the Daimler Chrysler. Geocaching is global hobby and you selling Jeeps here in Finland too. Good luck for those who can participate! :(

The problem with what you are suggesting is that it is nearly impossible to conduct a contest in places with such widely varying legislation. The biggest bang for their lawyering buck is going to be the continental US. If the EU had a unified legal system for contests (and I have no idea if it does or does not), that are not draconian, then I'd expect to see more and more contests being opened up in Europe. Even then, I'd suspect they'd be EU nation-centric contests.

Don't like it? Hang all the lawyers, not the corporations who have to fight the red tape.

/Well, don't hang Carleenp or Heidis hubby. That'd be bad.

I wonder what the 'challenges' they speak of is...? If it is some sort of numbers game, I'm not even gonna give it a second glance. There's enough cheating and accusations of cheating for find counts where there is no real 'prize' other than an ego boost... ugh... not even gonna think about the raving FTF clubbers on top of it all.

Edited by New England n00b

I know that it is probably a law problem, but we have seen EU wide sweepstakes. So they can bypass problems if they want. Biggest problem is purely on the marketing side. Even the corporations are now global they don't understand that consumers are also global.

It will be interesting to see the new "challenges." It won't hurt to have some other fun aspect to consider as we are out caching. I kind of like the one entry per week. Submitting an entry every day was reather tedious, and still didn't win me a new Jeep... I had to go buy a new Jeep in February. :(

The Jeep promo brought me to geocaching last year. I think Jeep's interest in geocaching is awesome. The only improvement I could think of is some close coordination with local areas for established 4 X 4 trails for placement of caches along them...

I see they still don't consider Florida or the District parts of the USA! :(:(

Doesn't Florida have some wacky law that says all the contest rules must be distributed with each contest entry (instead of posting publicly somewhere)? I'm sure AARP was in on that one; protecting seniors from getting scammed.

I see they still don't consider Florida or the District parts of the USA! :(:(

You should write your Congressman. Florida was excluded last year because of lame contest/sweepstakes laws in that state. Jeep has no control over those laws, but if you live there than you do. It isn't Jeep's fault.

BTW, that Florida law says that any advertising for sweepstakes must include all the fine print in the ad. That would mean a 2-page magazine spread would be about 75% lawyer-speak. I don't blame Jeep for not wanting to waste advertising dollars there. Most states only require the ads to say "For complete rules and a list of winners, send a SASE to ..."

I know that it is probably a law problem, but we have seen EU wide sweepstakes. So they can bypass problems if they want. Biggest problem is purely on the marketing side. Even the corporations are now global they don't understand that consumers are also global.

What's a nation to do? We were just getting used to you guys complaining about all the cheezy American stuff we market to you, and now you're unhappy about the cheezy American stuff we aren't marketing to you? Remember all that "American cultural imperialism" business? So what is it now, fewer Big Macs and more Jeeps? It's all so confusing for our small American brains. :(

We're still working on the contest rules (you think sweepstakes rules have red tape! Boy howdy), but we'll be releasing more travel bugs and this year we will be giving away a Jeep Commander to a geocacher as part of that contest. I'll provide more info as we get closer to June 1.

I pushed, and pushed and pushed to have the rest of the world included but the lawyers shut me down time and again. Blame the lawsuit crazy world we live in for the restrictive nature of the sweepstakes.

...and this year we will be giving away a Jeep Commander to a geocacher as part of that contest.

Cool...sounds like the Jeep will only be available to a cacher, and not just any Tom, Dick or Harry who enters a sweepstakes thru a webpage.

Edited by Stunod

That is right. We *will* be giving away a Jeep Commander as part of the sweepstakes, but we will also be giving away one as part of the contest. It (hypothetially) will mirror (in some ways) the Photo contest of last year but combine the Photo and Essay into one entry. This is not the final rules so don't take it as such.

What mileage's that gonna get? 5-10 MPG? <_<

Does it really matter? One could easily convert what would have been a loan payment into gas cache... er, cash. :blink:

Or, sell it and by your Wrangler. Either way, you are $25k (knocking off tax penalties from sticker price) in the green on a new Jeep.

My hobby/addiction nests well with my vehicle hobby/addiction. It just doesn't get any better than this!

I love Jeep and all their products..... Fantastic Vehicles!!.....But I am not to sure how this "Land Rover" look alike will go over with the general public. I myself have not really made my mind up about it yet. Im sure it will have great off road capabilities but here in the midwest that is not a greatly used feature by the average Jeep owner unless a winter storm drives you off the road. Which even then almost always takes a tow truck to get you out no matter what you drive.

Now on the other hand, the new Jeep Truck that may or may not come out in 2007 is the Jeep I have been waiting for. I am a truck man and this is why I do not drive Jeep, my wife drives a Liberty and I love it but it's not a truck. I used to drive a old Jeep truck for a company I used to work for and let me tell you, that thing was beat up with over 200,000 miles, but it still ran like a champ. I often wondered why Jeep had not gone back to the truck, and they have finally (I hope and pray anyway) answered my prayer.

Another Jeep contest!!! Whoo Hoo. Definetly one of the better things about Geocaching. We are into this hobby because of Jeep. Not the first contest but because my wife gets a seasonal mailing magazine from them that had this great article about Geocaching and the next thing you know Im whackin through brush cussing some stranger and lovin every minute of it <_<

Will whoever wins the Jeep Commander at least come to Florida and give some of a ride in it? <_<

BTW, Jeep actually does advertise in Florida and even sells one or two vehicles here every year or so.

(Still laughing over the suggestion to write to my congressman about a STATE law. I think he has a cousin that can read, and maybe one guy on his staff.)

Edited by Road Rabbit
We're still working on the contest rules (you think sweepstakes rules have red tape! Boy howdy), but we'll be releasing more travel bugs and this year we will be giving away a Jeep Commander to a geocacher as part of that contest. I'll provide more info as we get closer to June 1.

I pushed, and pushed and pushed to have the rest of the world included but the lawyers shut me down time and again. Blame the lawsuit crazy world we live in for the restrictive nature of the sweepstakes.

Cool! Thanks for the info <_<

Just one question though... do you know if the TBs will be Jeeps again and if so, will they be a different color?

Just one question though... do you know if the TBs will be Jeeps again and if so, will they be a different color?

I do know this one. They will be white Wranglers and their size will be enormous compared to last years. This decision was made because the other choice did not have a place to attach the travel bug without bashing out the windows. So I expect they will be harder to hide in caches and end up outside of many smaller caches as a result <_<

However they are really, really cool.

I do know this one. They will be white Wranglers and their size will be enormous compared to last years. This decision was made because the other choice did not have a place to attach the travel bug without bashing out the windows. So I expect they will be harder to hide in caches and end up outside of many smaller caches as a result <_<

However they are really, really cool.

That's cool with me. The ones from last year were easily damaged. I found a few with the window rims broken away from the main part of the car and the tag loose in a baggy. The yellow ones also chipped real easy too.

So are you thinking like twice the size of an average matchbox car or something fist size or something larger?

One final question (and then I'll leave ya alone :blink: ), will they be distributed to the state geo clubs like last year? And will there also be a mailin request to get one like last year?

Sorry to ask all the questions, but I'm excited about the contest. After placing 2nd for one of my photos in a segment last year and getting no prize *sniff*, I hope there are more prizes for entries (even if they are just small swag).

Thanks for the info.

How are they Jeep TB distributed? I got into caching late last year and found a couple of them but I always wondered how they started their journey?

Last year, the bulk of them were sent out to organized (or at least named) geocaching groups for distribution. Depending on the size of the area covered, some groups got more than others.

I have one of the Jeeps from the last contest.  I'm gonna sit this one out - it has lost it's luster to me.

They really weren't yours to take in the first place. Thanks for not taking one in the next promo.

Yeah, I wondered about that too... Takes some gall to admit stealing a TB and then moan about the contest. Or maybe he means he won one of the real Jeeps and is bored with it now?

Coincidentally, I found two of the Yellow Jeep TB's today. I will only wait as long as it takes me to find moderately difficult caches to leave them in before I get them on the road again. Any idea how many of those are actually still circulating?

Yeah, I can understand the sweepstakes rule for the USA but can we please beg/plead/grovel for a few of the new Jeep bugs to be sent internationally as well - perhaps to the local groups for dispersal? :laughing:

Any idea how many of those are actually still circulating?

Ok I'll bite. Your question got me curious so I had to go look.

Some YJTB facts/stats.........

715 YJTB's have been logged within the last 30 days.

352 have been looged within the last 31-60 days.

1142 Were never logged at all.

1857 have 0 miles traveled (this includes the 1142 never logged).

662 have between 0-100 miles.

Sadly this means that out of 5001 YJTB's 50% of them dissappeared within the first 100 miles of their journey (unless there weren't really 5000 put out)

261 have traveled more than 5000 miles each.

My Thoughts....

1.  I think it is a good promotion.

2.  I wonder if those cachers who took the previous Jeep TBs out of circulation (stole them for their own collections) will see the need to steal these also......

I just hope they wait till after the promo is over this time. I was fortunite enough to be able to find several jeeps, unlike some other folks, but I always got them back out into circulation as quickly as possible during the promotion as a courtousy to others playing the game.

Edit added: I can personally vouch for one jeep with no miles on it. It had a duplicate tag # and wasn't logged because of that. One of the approvers has it. That could have happened to a few others as well. Not all 1100+ that were never logged mind you, but a few of those.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Good work, Outdoorlady! I would guess that, unfortunately, 50% would be about the expected immediate casualty rate given the number of people who don't understand travel bugs in the first place, those who do understand but don't care, and the "collectability" of this particular TB. I will be watching now to see how long any of them keep going.

I have one of the Jeeps from the last contest.  I'm gonna sit this one out - it has lost it's luster to me.

They really weren't yours to take in the first place. Thanks for not taking one in the next promo.

Yeah, I wondered about that too... Takes some gall to admit stealing a TB and then moan about the contest. Or maybe he means he won one of the real Jeeps and is bored with it now?

Coincidentally, I found two of the Yellow Jeep TB's today. I will only wait as long as it takes me to find moderately difficult caches to leave them in before I get them on the road again. Any idea how many of those are actually still circulating?

Not only did he take it, check his page out. He never even logged the Jeep since he doesnt have the icon. Sounds to me like theft?

Jeremy,

Any chance you can attach the travel bug tags permanently? Several of the Yellow Jeeps were removed from their tags, and replaced with other "hotwheel" type cars.

We'll still be using the chains this year but the vehicles are pretty substantial which will reduce the issue we had last year. Last year's jeep had a plastic roll bar that could pop out. This year it is metal.

I didn't so much enjoy the folks who replaced the vehicle with something else, but I did appreciate the mod attempts people made with some of the vehicles, especially the ones that put a story around it. I hope to see that again this year.

I'm not sure if I posted this but the vehicle for this year will be white. I suppose they'll be called WJTBs :huh:

I'm not sure if I posted this but the vehicle for this year will be white. I suppose they'll be called WJTBs

But there will be a new icon, yes? Personally, I really liked the jeep promotion last year. Running out to get that TB before someone else was just good old fun to me.

Edited by Baxter-MD

Thanks for trying! :huh: Perhaps you will succeed one day...