Walking Sticks? -- Any Favorites?

Hi all!

I've been hearing a lot on the forum about people buying walking sticks for when they geocache. I was wondering if anyone had a favorite style or recommendation on features or could recommend a particular brand? I'd love to hear some suggestions and get some info. :(

Thanks again!

I would like to say that a hiking stick could be a very useful tool other than just dragging it along with you when you are out. Measure the height of your staff with your arm relaxed, bend at the elbow so your arm is pointing straight forward then add 6 inches. This will give you a comfortable fit. Choose a thickness of 3/4 to 1 inch. Look for a durable tip or add a rubber cane cap, you can even glue a magnet to the top to help get those hard to reach micros. Choose a durable wood such as ironwood, which should last a lifetime and makes a very nice self-protection tool. I have made several and have given them away as gifts. You could even go low tech and use an old ski pole. Just think of your walking stick as a tool, make sure it fits and you are comfortable with it.

Someone around here used to make custom sticks I always get him and someone else mixed up, so I won't mention names). I think he got overwhelmed and no longer does it to my knowledge. I hadn't seen one myself, but heard that they were very nicely done. Personally, I got mine from Hike America. They also have the medallions for the sticks that you may have seen around. I have dealt with them a few times (had a sig item from them for a while :( ) and always felt pleased with the quality and quick service.

Maria & I both have the telescopic aluminum type, and wouldn't go out without them. I've been looking at some of the ones wood ones shown in the forums, and think they're great too.

You might not think they would come in all that handy, but when hiking in rough terrain they can be a big help in getting up or down steep hills, and also useful for pulling someone else up the hill :( As well as poking around in the bushes where you might not want to put your arms.

Ohgr

I use an 8' fiberglass telescoping paint roller extention pole. Works great, folds down to fit in the car, super sturdy while hiking. I wrapped 50' of 3/8" rope around the top, this makes for a great wide grip, as well as having emergency rope when ya need it! :( I also strap my gps'r to it so I don't need to hold it and also this keeps it parallel to the ground most of the time which makes for the best reception you can get. Total cost was about $25 from home depot. It works great for saving the knees, hanging food sacks in the trees, making sure there are no guardians in those small hiding spots, pushing rattlers off the trail, as well as numerous other tasks. I put a rubber cane tip on it, but this only works on dirt trails, I take the tip off for steeper, rockier climbs. Good Luck! Here is an ok picture of it. Another pic of the top of the stick

MY HUSBAND MADE ME A COOL WALKING STICK I USE OUT OF A TREE WE WERE TRIMMING UP. HE SURPRISED ME WITH IT ON CHRISTMAS. MY 10 YEAR OLD LOVES IT SO MUCH SHE WILL BE GETTING HER OWN SOON. :(

AS TO WHER TO BUY THEM I THINK WAL MART EVEN SELLS TELESCOPING ONES NOW DAYS. MY HUSBAND MADE MINE BUT I SAW SIMULAR ONES ON EBAY UNDER GEOCACHING I THOUGHT THEY WERE PRETTY NEAT IF YOU DO NOT HAVE TIME TO MAKE YOUR OWN AND YOU HAVE ROOM IN THE CAR TO CARRY IT. :(

Edited by The Junkyard Dogs

I have bought one for each of the Vikings.

These are great walking sticks. Hickory, with your name, free and a leather thong and whistle.

And, no... I am not connected with them in any way.

But, $15. for a hickory walking stick.. how can you go wrong ?

http://stores.ebay.com/Wilderness-Walkers_...aderLinksQQtZkm?

In case the link doesn't work... It's "Wilderness Walkers" on Ebay.com

Rick

I like my trekking poles. I have a pair of Komperdell anti shock poles. I prefer them over traditional walking sticks because they are far more versatile. The length can be adjusted (shorter for uphill and longer for downhills and stream crossings), they are lighter, they are collapsible so I can put them in my pack when they are in the way, or in my suitcase when travelling. They also double as showshoeing poles in the winter and I've even used them as emergency ski poles and to pitch my tarp while backpacking.

Edited by briansnat

I have the Tracks Sherlock Hiking Pole. It's aluminum and adjustable. One of the tips they tell you when hiking is being able to shorten or lengthen the pole for going up and down hills as it takes pressure off your knees or something. When I'm out and about it's normally set at about waist high so it's set just higher than a cane would be. I had to use it at it's shortest the other day to help me get up a really steep climb on Stone Mountain. Even though there was a handrail, the pole gave me additional traction.

I think wooden hiking sticks are nice and all, but after having to use my Sherlock to it's fullest(shortest) extent the other day, I like it alot more. Also helps to poke around in holes where you think a cache may be. Never know what could be in there. I've been to several caches to scout them out only to not have my Sherlock with me and wish I had. Some of these caches can be in some strange places. I usally leave them alone and come back when I can dedicate more time to the search.

The Sherlock sells for $49 or so at REI. I actually had bought it when they had a 20% one item discount not long ago.

I have a pair of REI Ascent anti-shock poles I take with me when I go hiking.

I have a Tracks Sherlock pole that I've used from time to time (no, it didn't keep me from falling off of that log into an ice cold river).

I have an El Diablo hiking staff.

I have taken the Sherlock out a couple of times, and use the treking poles a lot when I'm hiking but for the most part, it's just one more thing I have to remember, and I'm doing great if I remember to bring the GPSr, AND a pen.

:(

LOTS of good choices out there. Remember, if you don't get a height-adjustable pole, that you really need to figure out what the best height is for you before buying one.

GOOD LUCK!

-=-

michelle

A friend brought me a piece of bamboo from her property yesterday. It worked great for poking in holes I didn't want to put my hand inside, and of course, it offered great stability for walking while we found 12 caches in one day. :(

I had lots of fun last night after I got home fashioning a grip from some nylon cord and adding a personal touch. :(

A friend of mine got me interested in walking sticks when we went caching to a spot that involved over a mile of bushwhacking. I first purchased a lightweight model, but REI exchanged it after I ran into problems. I now have a Leki malaku and love it. It offers support for the hike. I have used to to fish out an underwater cache that was said to be accessible only by boat and poke around hidden spots where I did not want to reach in without some security. And, after running into a rattlesnake the other day, it might give critters something else to focus upon.

I use leki titanium walking sticks

My brother has a titanium walking stick and it is amazingly light and strong. It is about 3/4 inch in the middle and tapers like a pool cue to a tip about the size of that of a pool cue. I had a regular, cheapie collapsable one that I liked until...yep...it collapsed!

Now I'm in the market for one like my brother has.

I just use a bamboo walking stick I found abandoned on a trail. It might have already saved my life once already. I was poking around for a cache hidden in a gopher hole and out crawled a big snake! Hate to think what would have happened if it was my hand that did the poking.

Like Wacka, I just bought one from Wal-Mart for less than $10. Manufacturer is SwissGear, the makers of the Swiss Army Knife. Here are the features from the tag:

Made of durable aluminum alloy

Comfortable hand grip with adjustable strap

Anti-shock design

Durable carbide tip

Adjustable telescopic sections

Built-in compass

Protective cap, basket and rubber tip included.

Granted it probably isn't the quality of a Leki, Komperdell, Black Diamond or even a REI, but for less than $10 I can't complain.

BTW - there are two of them for sale on eBay at the moment.

I started out using one of Diablo's hiking sticks which I love but it doesn't fit in my truck. Then santa got me the Sherlock Staff a few years ago for christmas:

sherlock_photo.jpg

It's great and now has some serious miles on it. Recently I've seen many people using something along the line of a ski pole for hiking. I use to spend my Christmas and New Year's in Aspen skiing (Ohhhh.....those were the days) until my legs were mush, so I dug out my ski poles and am now doing a little test to see how I like using them on dirt as opposed to snow. Here's a pic:

LIF0094.jpg

Edited by Scoobie10
I like a sheepherder staff. You would be amazed at how often that hook comes in handy.

ditto Renegade. A shephard's crook is the right length (about 5.5 ft"), light weight, and the crook end is extremely handy. It's not until you use one that you really appreciate how handy a shephard's crook is. And they're cheap. I paid $7 for mine at a farm surplus store. They're not yuppie gee-whiz gucci but you won't find anything handier regardless how much you spend.

We have a local geocacher that makes them. Super Squid either gives them away at events or leaves vouchers for them in his favorite caches. I am lucky enough to have found a voucher and am a proud owner of an "SSO" (Super Squid Original). They are simple but beautiful hickory sticks.

I also use the $10 Wal-Mart special. Works great for finding the cache and poking around the cache location for buzztails. Seems rugged enough for what I use it for.

Nothing sweeter than the sound of the staff making contact with an ammo can in heavy vegetation! :laughing:

Ok here is the redneck staff. ! PVC 3/4" pipe with a rubber tip on the bottom and a Pipe cap on top. This will hold about 10' of small rope, 2 big fish hooks, matches, and well you get the picture. I live in Fl. and will NOT stick my hand in anytype of hole that I can't see in. The stuff in the pipe is great for rigging somthing to get that hard to reach cache and the staff is strong enough to fend off spiders small critters with sharp teeth, and anything else that needs wacking :laughing: Plus the whole rig is cheep...

Edited by Ralphbongo

Even though it fits awkwardly in the car, I prefer a stout wooden walking stick. Like the perfect one you find in the woods. But finding them is sometimes difficult, so I bought this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

No one else bid on it, so I got it for $15 plus shipping.

The seller's current items are here:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZsummit4u0

According to measurement guides, it's a little too tall for me, but I think it's just right. The extra length is good for poking at underbrush and holding ahead of me to keep branches out of my face. It is also very sturdy.

On a cache last weekend, while still zeroing in on what my GPSr said was ground zero, I used it to poke some underbrush on a whim... and there was the cache. :laughing:

I've tried the metal telescoping ones, and while they're more handy to stow, they just aren't the same.

I'm also planning to decorate mine someday.

Luna

Personally I'm a fan of the hiking staff, myself. Mine is about five feet tall and made from a hardwoon broom handle I got from Home Depot. I like that it is tall because that gives me more options at to where I can hold it, giving me greater leverage or a longer stick (when crossing rivers) when needed. I also like the long staff because it has greater defence potential, if needed (I've actually been looking for a way to affix a sort of bayonet to mine :laughing: )

As for materials, I prefer wood because I feel it is more real than, say, aluminium. Wood has a warmth to it, a soul. Fiberglass, steel, aluminium, titanium are all so cold and soulless.

Personally I'm a fan of the hiking staff, myself. Mine is about five feet tall and made from a hardwoon broom handle I got from Home Depot. I like that it is tall because that gives me more options at to where I can hold it, giving me greater leverage or a longer stick (when crossing rivers) when needed. I also like the long staff because it has greater defence potential, if needed (I've actually been looking for a way to affix a sort of bayonet to mine :ph34r: )

As for materials, I prefer wood because I feel it is more real than, say, aluminium. Wood has a warmth to it, a soul. Fiberglass, steel, aluminium, titanium are all so cold and soulless.

I like my Sherlock 'cause it comes with a sharp pointy end. :ph34r:

it is nice to see I am not the oly one that prefers a homemade walking stick. My husband said it did not take long to make and I think it is pretty sturdy plus I do not have to worry about scratching the paint. I looked at the walking stick page and those are very cool. I have also used a bamboo stick in the past. I can find those all over. I remember in South Carolina my brother and I both had one. we were walking along when my dad all the sudden snatches mine from my hand and starts beating the ground, when he was done my walking stick was in splinters and so was a very large copperhead. :ph34r: I never like to go into the woods without one since then!

Edited by The Junkyard Dogs

A bit OT, but I can't think of walking sticks without thinking of my friend Clayjar!

Clayjar is your normal geocacher to all appearances (ok, I take that back...nothing about Clayjar is "normal"!) but he's deathly afraid of spiders.

That's a bad thing for a Southern boy, because they're simply everywhere - so he carries TWO aluminum walking sticks, one in each hand, spinning them in a circular motion like a baton twirler in front of him at all times when walking in the woods - it looks like he has two propellers pulling him along!

Funniest thing I have ever seen! The only twin-prop geocacher I know of!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler