Eagle Explorer

I 'bought it now' from ebay about a week ago and got this thing in the mail today. Its used, but in good condition and is really really cool for some odd reason! :(

Not a whole lot of features, not very accurate at all (minimum distance is 0.01 miles), but its completely old school which I like! :(

The point of my message here though is to find out whether anyone else has experience with these? Im trying to figure a way into the GPS itself to replace the internal battery. Its not dead yet, but Id like to know how before it dies (GPS already 8 years old). The screws in the battery compartment are the special star type. Anyone know where you can get a screwdriver for this? Is there a make-shift way of getting in?

I thought about using my jewelry screwdriver (which fits nicely on the screw head) and using pliers for torque. Before I ruin it though, just want to ask here.

Congrats on the antique :(

The Eagle Explorer was my very first GPSr ever! However I only had it less than a week and then took it back to the store.. exchanged it for a Magellan 4000XL lol. I forget all the things I wasn't happy with the unit, but for one I didn't like that it didn't have any sort of odometer to tell me how far I have travelled. Also I found it tough to operate with all the buttons bunched at the very bottom of the unit. I did think it was very well made though, and a buddy I used to hunt with had one for years & swore by it. So it should be a good unit.

Those screws, are they "torx" heads? (looks like these?)

ButtonFlatHeadThree.gif

I have had a few Eagle explorers and an explorer II very nice GPS's for the money. About the screws, I have a set of security screw bits, which includes just about any security screw known to man. I got it in the red tag bin at the Ace hardware where I worked. The red tag bin is just random cheap tools from china, and we usually get 2 security sets everytime we get a shipment. They disappear quick though, this is the only place where I have seen them. Here I found them on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WD1V at Ace hardware they are like $5 though.