My Cache "violated", What To Do Next?

I have been Geocaching for less than a year, and I finally decided to actively contribute to the fun that is "The Hunt". So in early April, I hid my very own cache.

I think it's in a reasonably well hidden spot while still accessable. Within in the past week, someone has found the cache, raided it and stole an innocent TB's ID tags. I feel horrible and somewhat responsible. There was another TB in there, so I took it with me, lest he share the same fate. Is this an isolated incident or has my cache's hiding spot been comprimised beyond hope. If I disable the cache and move it to another location (in the same area or otherwise), has my first excursion into cache hiding failed, or do nearly all "cache stashers" suffer from this issue at one time or another? Dare I leave it in its original location? What should I do?

Edited by Blomidonpark
Someone "raided it" and only took one TB?  It doesn't sound like a cache bandit to me.  If the cache itself, or all the contents were missing, that would be another thing. How do you know it wasn't a cacher that doesn't log online?

As I interpret the OP, the bug wasn't taken; its tags were taken. A cacher who doesn't log would probably not be the culprit.

I think muggled caches happen to almost all of us at some point. Don't let it ruin your fun. Relocate the cache and try again. (Trouble is, if someone has a GPSr and is on a quest for free TB tags, they will keep at it.)

Someone "raided it" and only took one TB?  It doesn't sound like a cache bandit to me.  If the cache itself, or all the contents were missing, that would be another thing. How do you know it wasn't a cacher that doesn't log online?

As I interpret the OP, the bug wasn't taken; its tags were taken. A cacher who doesn't log would probably not be the culprit.

I think muggled caches happen to almost all of us at some point. Don't let it ruin your fun. Relocate the cache and try again. (Trouble is, if someone has a GPSr and is on a quest for free TB tags, they will keep at it.)

I have only been geocaching since last October and just found out yesterday one of the caches I hide had been taken. I was pretty ticked off, but now I’m looking for a new location nearby to get a new cache hidden. I guess its just part of the game and it looks like it has happened to people more experienced that me.

I hid a cache on a spit of land Before the Bridge extending into the Chesapeake Bay. People use this spot for fishing, and I'm assuming that some local kids found the first hidden cache. I replaced it and that one, an ammo box, was vandalized, but found by another cacher. I then moved it, using a very hidden micro cache, consisting of a painted cigar tube inserted into a crevice in old retaining wall-- nearly invisible unless you knew what you were looking for in the first place. That one too went missing. I made it a virtual (before the rulings changed) simply because it is an incredible sunset with a very interesting history. (see the cache pictures)

In short, I would like to put a traditional cache, even a micro, back into the spot, but will continue to wait. No matter how well these can be hidden, there may very well be a spoiler out there who just doesn't get the coolness behind why we hide caches. Don't let those types get to you -- keep looking for good places to place a hide, and keep hiding...

It's part of the game, but I still feel violated over my muggles. I am 2 for 2 and expect my 3rd to be muggled as well. Of course, on the 3rd I knowingly placed it in a very muggleable situation and am prepared to relocate it if (when) it happens. I just wanted to put it THERE to start with.

One of my others I got fixed pretty quick, but I can't seem to devise an answer to fix the other. I want to bring people to a particular spot and I am having a heckuva time figuring out a way to do that and protect my cache's integrity.

Oh well - off to the drawing board. Again.

Within in the past week, someone has found the cache, raided it and stole an innocent TB's ID tags. I feel horrible and somewhat responsible. There was another TB in there, so I took it with me, lest he share the same fate. Is this an isolated incident or has my cache's hiding spot been comprimised beyond hope.

Dare I leave it in its original location? What should I do?

No need to beat your self up about this, instead learn from the experience.

Was the cache in a popular area?

Not hidden or cammoed very well?

Try a more remote setting, at least 60' away from roads & trails.

I wouldn't put another one back in the same place. :(