Full Gpx Download

Sinbad7Seas

Some tools let you combine logs from mulitple pocket queries into a single one. IE, I have mine come in over many months and slowly combine them so the number of stored logs increase. My software is hand-written and tailored to my needs, but I know GSAK can do it too and is a common tool for doing so...

I recently started using GSAK and see that the logs get added but then I will never get the older ones.

True.

You need to start off by using Pocket Queries to get all the caches within the area you are interested in. Since you can only get 500 caches at a time and you need to start back in the year 2000 say (depending when the first cache was placed), this could mean several PQs to get them all. Once you have your database correct up to the present time you only need to update for new caches and updated ones.

Are archived caches included in the PQs so that you can de-activate them in GSAK when you do the updating?

No.

The way I do it is by filtering for the caches that should have been updated by the latest PQs that do not have a current "last GPX update" date.

Thanks, that makes sense.

I like the "full gpx" idea, though. Sometimes when I can't find a cache and I'm looking for a hint, I wish I could read all the previous logs instead of just the last five.

Sometimes when I can't find a cache and I'm looking for a hint, I wish I could read all the previous logs instead of just the last five.

Why do you want it as a PQ? I'd just hit the cache page on gc.com and look at all the past logs there. Querying for all logs will just increase the burden on th PQ servers for no good reason.

Sometimes when I can't find a cache and I'm looking for a hint, I wish I could read all the previous logs instead of just the last five.

Why do you want it as a PQ? I'd just hit the cache page on gc.com and look at all the past logs there. Querying for all logs will just increase the burden on th PQ servers for no good reason.

Why, because out in the field I don't have internet access :( Do you?

Perhaps the gpx download button on the cache page could be used to provide all previous logs.? thus avoiding interfering with PQ's

This would be nice for event caches which i like to read at my leisure rather than while logged in. For all other caches the four logs plus my own works well.

Can be a problem if 4 notes in a row are posted on the cache page though

Why, because out in the field I don't have internet access :( Do you?

Most of the caches I go for have been accumulating logs in GSAK for a long time before I get to them. In the rare case I dont have sufficient logs available in Cachemate I just accept a DNF, and check out earlier logs when I get home. No big deal. In extreme cases I might pull out my cell phone and use the WAP interface to gc.com.

Edited by Tzoid

Why, because out in the field I don't have internet access :unsure: Do you?

I do! If I can get any bars on my cell phone, and it is a digital signal. I have my cell phone hooked up as a modem to my laptop, I get pretty good speed too, about 100 Kbps. Technology rocks! :ph34r: