Cache hiding question

Natureboy44

I have a general question for more experienced geacachers. Would it be inappropriate to design a cache where the given coordinates do not actually take you to the cache, but instead serve as the starting point for the hunt. More specifically, if the coordinates got you to one location, but to find the cache the hunter would have to decifer clues in the description that would lead them a short distance away (about 75 ft). Is this acceptable cache hiding etiquette? I wasn't planning on making this obvious in the cache description, but making it progressively more obvious if the first two hints were decripted.

That method is very popular here in Southern Ontario and I'm sure it is everywhere else.

The listed coords can be those of the recommended parking spot or trail-head and the deciphered clue(s) lead you on a hike or they could even lead you to a second, third, fourth spot for more clues finally terminating at the actual cache.

There is a 4-part multi-cache in this area that takes you on a very pleasant hike about a mile or so and the final cache ends up being 100 feet from your parked car. Lots of fun.

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

quote:
Originally posted by natureboy44:

I have a general question for more experienced geacachers. Would it be inappropriate to design a cache where the given coordinates do not actually take you to the cache, but instead serve as the starting point for the hunt. More specifically, if the coordinates got you to one location, but to find the cache the hunter would have to decifer clues in the description that would lead them a short distance away (about 75 ft). Is this acceptable cache hiding etiquette? I wasn't planning on making this obvious in the cache description, but making it progressively more obvious if the first two hints were decripted.

You mean they HAVE to decode hints to find a cache? Bad Idea. Caches should always be locatable using the coordinates and the main description.

Hints are for when people are really stumped, and need assistance. They shouldn't be a required part of locating a cache.

3608_2800.gif3608_2600.gif3608_2700.gif

quote:
Originally posted by natureboy44:

I wasn't planning on making this obvious in the cache description, but making it progressively more obvious if the first two hints were decripted.

That part could be a problem, if I understand it correctly. People are going to go to the coords and expect to find the cache within 30 ft or so, typical error for a cache. If they decode the hints after an hour for some help, they're going to be very annoyed when it says it's 75ft away. Unless of course they expanded their search that far, in which case you'll be inundated with complaints of bad coordinates.

Offsets are fine, but not telling people it's an offset is generally not a good idea. Maybe there's more to your idea that isn't clear here.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Mein Vater war ein Wandersmann, und ich hab' auch im Blut

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Yes, it's an offset. _don't_ list it as a multi unless there's more than one _container_. There are cachers who skip multis completely.

Sorry, but that's not right. An offset cache is just one type of multi-cache.

From the Cache Types Description page:

"A multiple cache has 2 or more caches. There are many variations, but most multi-caches have a hint to find the second cache, and the second cache has hints to the third, and so on. An offset cache (where you go to a location and get hints to the actual cache) is considered a multi-cache."

You don't do anyone any favors by mis-labeling a cache.

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

I think he meant in the description, like http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=43335

I don't think so. The cache appears to be this one. Nothing but DNFs at this point. From the hints, it appears the cache isn't where the coordinates point to. In fact, he says it's an offset cash, but there are no offset instructions anywhere in the main description. He apparently doesn't have a good grasp on how offset caches are set up.

Looking at the hints, it's apparent that the cache is most likely unatvat sebz n frjre tengr (ROT13). But how far that is from the posted coordinates is anybody's guess.

I like the setup, but I still think just saying that it's an offset isn't enough to go on. Offset still implies there's something *at* the given coords to tell you where to go next.

Also, I think I'd make a cache like this a Mystery type. To me, that indicates I might want to think differently.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Prime Suspect-

On second look, I believe you are correct. I thought he was asking a hypothetical question, so I didn't take a look at his hides. I also agree that we both know how its hidden. Mapquest gives the direction to look in. This cache doesn't seem to be too difficult.

I would suggest that the description states that the coords are not the location, but the cache can be found by starting at the coords and following the hints. I also prefer 'mystery' for this one rather than offset.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Yes, it's an offset. _don't_ list it as a multi unless there's more than one _container_. There are cachers who skip multis completely.

I thought that Multi Caches include offset caches by definition? Whether or not there is more than one container, you end up with two parts to the cache. Find the starting point, then do something else to find the cache.

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by Dinoprophet:

Also, I think I'd make a cache like this a Mystery type.

Technically, I meant to say "Unknown". The icon with a question mark on it.

BTW, since your hint is multipart, try this HTML trick (first conceived by DruMorgan, IIRC):

[Hint 1:] first hint here

[Hint 2:] second hint here

[Hint 3:] third hint here

The HTML makes it appear as a bulletted list. The strange HTML tags make it work both when encrypted and decrypted.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Dinoprophet:

I like the setup, but I still think just saying that it's an offset isn't enough to go on. Offset still implies there's something *at* the given coords to tell you where to go next.

I agree. That cache is now 0 for 3 attempts (even with one person using the hints).

[This message was edited by Prime Suspect on February 11, 2003 at 01:28 PM.]

If the cache is where everyone suspects then I'm not happy. You would have better luck finding this cache accidently, then using the clues, since the clues are whitty but only after you find the cache. Plus it seems the "Tall Tale" is slightly deceptive as well since the hints point you in the other direction. (At least to my interpitation, but you know sometimes you get fixcated on an idea and that's it). But that asside, what fustrates us, is we look *at* the probably spot but didn't investigate it because. 1. The clues didn't seem to point there. 2. It was cold and starting to snow & 3. I think the area is on or very close to private property.

Again, this is all theory, but with the pending 20 inches of snow headed this evening, it might be a while until we get there again prove it.