A Nice Spring Hike

Right Wing Wacko

That's what I told him. But I'm not sure that's enough to convince him, we'll see.

Ahem, let me quote from the cache page:

The Boulder River Trail is family friendly, including your four-legged family members. The hike is 4.5 miles to the river and lunch so the kids should not have too much difficulty getting there. On the way back just keep walking, they'll keep up.

That applies to dads as well. He can always just wait for you at the first cache and read a book until you come back. ;)

Naw, I'm pretty sure I can convince him to go

You could always through yourself down on the floor, and scream "I wanna go, I wanna go" over and over again while pounding your head and feet and fists on the floor. :lol:;);)

Allanon -

Got your ears on? I think I'm going to just meet you theretomorrow. I just have too much to do before I leave Sunday so I'm going to have to cut out after the Frito pies.

I'll check this again in the morning and give you a call if you don't respond.

What? Nobody's yet popped in here to rave about what an exquisite hike we had? Likely all are busily pecking logs for the many boxes we grabbed after. Well let me be the first to say - the falls were utterly breathtaking, the Frito Pies delish (lacking only perhaps a dollop of sour cream, but we dared not alter the recipe w/o Nolenator's express permission), and the company of geo-zanies - purely stellar! Only wee downer in this rosy, sun-shiney adventure was RWWacko's tumble at the first box - ouch! Sure hope that elbow feels better soon.

(well o.k., then there was Allanon's flat - make that g-a-p-i-n-g-h-o-l-e - tire on the way out, but thanks to LandRover's nifty emergency auto toys, along with a few determined jack setters - once they figured out where to set it - and of course the snickering peanut gallery standing by to cheer them on, we were all soon back on our way (to grab most every blessed box in the Arlington environs on the way home.)

Okay so I never believed Grandpa when he told me he walked 5 miles to school in the snow, UPHILL both ways until now. That being said I still had a great time. Mmmmm the Frito Pies were the perfect ending to a terrific morning in the mountains, sorry you missed out Anonymous', I guess you'll have to keep wondering about the infamous "Frito Pies.”

Thanks to RWW for setting this up, hope the wrist is not too bad, and all those that helped with the Frito Pies and provided great company.

Thanks to RWW for setting this up, hope the wrist is not too bad, and all those that helped with the Frito Pies and provided great company.

It was a great hike... at least the part I got to do.

After my fall I did not do the second part of the hike, so that cache is still on my list to to.

After the Frito-Pies I cached my way to the ER.. priorities you know.... and scored four more smilies.

Diagnosis:... much worse than I thought. i was sure it was just a sprain or bruse

Two breaks of the Radius near the elbow. One break of the Ulna, also near the elbow joint, and bruising with a possible break of the Humerus at the elbow.... in other words... a broken elbow.

I wont know for sure what Im in for... but apparently quite a bit of PT in the next few months.

Diagnosis:... much worse than I thought. i was sure it was just a sprain or bruse

Two breaks of the Radius near the elbow. One break of the Ulna, also near the elbow joint, and bruising with a possible break of the Humerus at the elbow.... in other words... a broken elbow.

Jeepers, RWW, that's terrible! So sorry to hear it. :lol: I can't believe you did that at 10 am yesterday, and then hung out with us all day, did more caching, went home, and didn't go to a doctor until - this morning?! That couldn't have helped. A break of all 3 arm bones is pretty rough; the humerus is one of the stronger bones.

Did they cast it? Not sure how they handle elbows these days. Good luck with the healing, and don't overdo things - including this trip.

Thanks again for arranging this outing, though, and to everyone who made it such fun! Had a fantastic time, enjoyed meeting new folks and hanging out with some 'regulars', and it was the perfect day for this outing - beautiful weather, lovely woods, spring flowers (lots of bunchberry dogwood), and great waterfalls.

hydnsek

After the Frito-Pies I cached my way to the ER.. priorities you know.... and scored four more smilies.

Diagnosis:... much worse than I thought.  i was sure it was just a sprain or bruse

Two breaks of the Radius near the elbow.  One break of the Ulna, also near the elbow joint, and bruising with a possible break of the Humerus at the elbow.... in other words... a broken elbow.

Holy Cow! :lol: RWW, that's awful! You are amazing!

I'll never take "no" for an answer when I think someone has a broken anything...thry're getting splinted. We could have let you hurt yourself even worse. :lol:

That being said, I'm glad you are under doctors care and have those extra smiles. :o

And a thank you from me as well for setting it all up.

:o Wah! Amazing how you can break all that and not be in excruciating pain! I mean take-me-to-the-ER-Now! kind of pain! Apparently breaking your elbow is Ok it hurts like @#$%-butI 'm going to do a bunch more caching first kind of pain! :D

Here's to a speedy recover and I hope you can open ammo boxes with one hand! :o

(decon conatiners- forget it!) :lol:

Bummer! So what do they have you in? You in a cast? I assume its one of those whole arm numbers. Sorry to hear about the damage, but I do know a number of other people who have had breaks and not gotten to the ER in time.

I think though, you got away better than and old buddy of mine. After some drinking in the early eve, was leaving his apartment, and vaulted over the stair railing, only to catch his foot, allowing for a fabulous face plant on pavement in front of the rest of us.

He ended up with both wrists broken, but did not got to the hospital until the next morning, when the alcohol wore off.

Take care RWW. :o

Bummer! So what do they have you in? You in a cast? I assume its one of those whole arm numbers. Sorry to hear about the damage, but I do know a number of other people who have had breaks and not gotten to the ER in time.

I think though, you got away better than and old buddy of mine. After some drinking in the early eve, was leaving his apartment, and vaulted over the stair railing, only to catch his foot, allowing for a fabulous face plant on pavement in front of the rest of us.

He ended up with both wrists broken, but did not got to the hospital until the next morning, when the alcohol wore off.

Take care RWW. :o

I'm not sure I would call it a cast... more like a full arm splint. Not a lot of difference... the entire arm is immobilized... I cant even use the fingers to type. One handed typing is a pain, driving is also difficult.

They showed me the x-rays and I could only make out one of the breaks; one on the radius. I could also see the bruising around the Humerous, but no break. I guess I'll have to trust the Dr's that the others exist.

I hope to be out caching again next weekend.... I can still hold a GPS.

Wow RWW! Hope you heal quickly and with little to no pain (which would indicate great drugs!) You kind of made my day seem trivial in comparison. :ph34r:

Allanon, Welcome to the land of the flat tires! I had one go out on me going up to Mt Townsend last year and can only sympathize with the "Oh crap" that went through your mind. I now carry a full-sized spare with me when I hit those forest roads.

Oh I already know.

The last 'flat' I had last winter was when I was leaving work after a really bad day of rain. I was driving down the driveway when I went over a manhole cover...that then 'flipped'. Sounded like a bomb went off under the car. The rim was ruined with a big dent in the side and the tire destroyed. The 'dent' in the rim was also right at the point of a lugnut, and the pressure of the 'dent' had pushed against the nut/bolt, so that I had to break the bolt off to change the tire.

This was much easier. :ph34r:

And the little Explorer Sport does have a full sized spare, which is very nice. I'm just not looking forward to buying the replacement. :lol:

I had one go out on me going up to Mt Townsend last year and can only sympathize with the "Oh crap" that went through your mind. I now carry a full-sized spare with me when I hit those forest roads.

Yeah, but it made you as late as everyone else. That was a GOOD thing.

Hooray for full-sized spares! (But watching you drive out the rough forest service road on the donut was a treat!)

-=-

michelle