What Is The Average Weight Of A Geocacher?

I've gained about 4 pounds a year since getting married (I guess that means the wife is a good cook :huh:)

I'm about 185. I go to the company gym 2-3 times a week and get a good hike in every couple of weeks. I used to walk 5 miles a day at work, but now I have a desk job so it's down to about a mile a day if we're busy fixing robots.

Maybe geocaching has affected my weight, but who can say? Maybe if I did a lot more of those nice hiking caches in the mountains...

I've been sick for almost 3 months, and it's made me gain something like 15 pounds. :huh: And I can't excersize, so, :huh:

Anyways, lets just say that I weigh 50 pounds more than I did when I was 18 (though I was underweight at that age).

And that's all I have to say about that. :unsure::huh:

I was up to 240 lbs not long ago. I've lost some since then, but I'm not sure exactly how much. If I had to guess, I think I'm down to around 215 or 220 judging from the clothes that fit me again.

It was cutting out beer during the week, rather than geocaching that affected my weight. I've always been very active so geocaching makes no difference.

Let's see, since I began consistent marathon/10K training (at least 4 miles run per day), weight training, began eating healthy, started walking activity such as geocaching on weekends, and quit beer, I've gained 20 pounds. :huh:

I don't look like the governor of CA, but then again I'm not skinny anymore, either(as dad says "you just are not one of those dudes folks elect to pick on"), 6'0", 191 lbs.

I weigh about 300 pounds, a little more in the winter, and a little less in the warm months (like a bear, I put on weight in the cold months). Geocaching hasn't had a big effect on my wight, but I have more energy, feel stronger, and don't get winded as easily since I started geocaching. :huh:

nfa-jamie

It was cutting out beer during the week, rather than geocaching that affected my weight. I've always been very active so geocaching makes no difference.

That's what I need to do, how many weeks of cutting out the beer did it take to drop that 20#s?

Back on topic, I've been around the same weight forever now but there is a cacher here Team CoyChev that has lost about 50/60 lbs since he and his wife started caching a little more than a year ago. I should also add that they've hit over a thousand caches in that time frame too. So if you're going to drop big pounds I think you'll need to do a lot of caches in a short period of time.

Man, If there is something I learned long ago, never ask a woman 3 things:

1. What is your weight?

2. What is your age?

3. When is the baby due?

I asked the first 2 questions about 20 years ago and now there are 3 days of memory I've lost. I remember asking and waking up a couple of days later in a daze. :huh: The last question I learned through observation. I friend of mine asked a girl that once and he had fuzzy vision for sometime after that. :unsure:

Hang in there! :huh:

Use to be 6ft 6in now down to about 5ft 10inches.  Boy does caching ware you down.

cheers

If you are talking about your waist line, congratulations (I guess). If you are talking about your height, it looks like you need to either see a doctor immediately or quit measuring yourself when dressed in drag and high heels.

5'11"

Started 'caching in late September, 225 lbs.

Today, 215

I haven't been actively trying to lose weight, but plan to this summer. I am going to start walking more, eating a lot less, and 'caching as much as possible. Lets hear it for 4+ terrain!

Heh... When I saw the, "What's the average age of a geocacher?" topic pop up again, I had to laugh and thought to myself... someone ought to ask what the average WEIGHT of one is.

I'd sure feel better about replying to this if it were in OFF TOPIC...

I'm 5'6.25" (That quarter-inch is important now that my 12yo is taller than me!) and weigh something quite appropriate for my height.

Right now a little TOO appropriate, but, you know, not TOO TOO appropriate. I much prefer to be a little under the standard for my height (ya know, like 5 or 10 pounds) so when I start to edge nearer to that weight, I start to panic... however, I was recently taking some new-to-me vitamins with this extra special herbal supplementational gig built into them... and, quite frankly, I started to gain weight... ironically enough at the same exact time I started the vitamins.

Now, I don't know how you feel about vitamins, but honestly, I hate taking pills of any sort. So, imagine choking down, like, 10 pills a day, and then after a few weeks of gagging these things down with your morning cuppa you finally step on the scales and have a "Come to Jesus" moment.

It was not a good thing. :huh:

I'm thinking I'll leave the vites in a cache somewhere for one of the locals.

In all seriousness, tho (well, some of that was serious), I was active before I started geocaching altho moreso in the warmer/drier months. The tupperware hunting hasn't affected me one way or the other aside from the fact that I will actually consider going out in the rain and snow and cold now... and have done some really stupid, yet fun things to that affect.

I fast-walk at least 5 miles a day as long as it's not thunder-and-lightening, and then if we go caching, that's just an extra bonus on top of what I've already done.

Walkies anyone?

-=-

michelle who's jeans fit juuuuuuuuus' fine, thankyouverymuch

Beer??? Most times, we don't even bother with an excuse. We just have a few. ... It's no surprize I drink. The surprize is I don't drink on the yob. ;)

Maybe we should conduct a survey of what brand do you drink while GC? When not on the GC trail? Nah. It would become a commercial and free advertising.

We've gotten off subject. :ph34r: Beer may cause weight gain. This should fulfill our obligation to stay on subject.

;)

I'm the only member of my family under six feet tall, a circumstance that made me grow up feeling both inadequate and petite, despite the fact I was the tallest kid of either gender in my class until, like, High School. I was always the insurance company's recommended weight for my height, or a bit under.

Then I did two foolish things at the same time: quit smoking and turned forty. This is a condition medical science calls "having the bicycle pump of Zeus stuck up your backside." I didn't know it was possible to gain that much weight that fast, without being tied up in the barn and fed corn all day. I kept doing myself small injuries because I hadn't worked out the new boundary of Me. ("I have butt there now? Who knew!").

Caching has helped me take off about a third of that, and about half what I reasonably expect to shed eventually. Only, lately I've kind of hit a plateau. I'm even happier to get some tone back in my legs, though. (Hello, ankles! I missed you guys!)

There! I managed to answer the question without actually answering the question.

Then I did two foolish things at the same time: quit smoking and turned forty. This is a condition medical science calls "having the bicycle pump of Zeus stuck up your backside." I didn't know it was possible to gain that much weight that fast, without being tied up in the barn and fed corn all day. I kept doing myself small injuries because I hadn't worked out the new boundary of Me. ("I have butt there now? Who knew!").

Where do I send the bill for a new keyboard since I just snarfed soda all over this one. ;):ph34r:;)

I started caching at 206- the heaviest I ever reached. I am 5'11, so that was way too much for me. I am down to 178 as of this morning. I want to reach 170 this summer and stay there. At the time I reached my heaviest, I was on the bargaining team for the teachers' contract and we drank too much soda and ate too much junk while bargaining. In addition to caching, I started eating more vegetables, less junk, and started going to the gym every day. Granted, I have to go before school now that I have a child and a million obligations. It is nice and peaceful in the gym when it opens at 5 am. Since I am also coaching right now, I know the few pounds that I have lost this spring are not from caching.

I wouldn't say that geocaching has affected our weight directly but as a family we are much healthier since starting geocaching. For us, geocaching has been great for us physically, mentally, and probably (in a sense) spirtually. Because off all of this it has caused us to feel better which in turn has probably helped us to look better and lose some weight. We also like to do the less urban caches which get us out in the mountains and such.

C ;)

Harry Dolphin claims to be 6'2" and 200#. That's his story, and he's sticking to it!! He hit a low of 180# after a section hike in Shenandoah Park two years ago, and should probably weigh 190#. No, he has not lost any weight caching. Short distance hiking replaced long distance hiking, but that is also a consideration to his caching partner, and the fact that he's given up hiking the AT after 1020 miles in only ten years.

I'm 5'4 and around 130lbs. I haven't been caching long enough to have it affect my weight yet. I gained over 5lbs after starting my current job which is a desk job. I'm hoping that geocaching will help lose about 5-10 lbs, or at least remove some size I've picked up. The pounds don't matter so much as long as my size decreases some. Afterall, muscle weighs more than fat. ;)

Maybe I should be glad that most of the caches in the area are at the top of mountains! :ph34r:

Lost 72 pounds and kept it off more than a year and a half. Walking helped alot, and caching helped me keep on walking. Here's my before and after pic. As you can see, I'm not skinny yet, and at the rate I'm going now, maybe never will be. But I'm much better than I was 72 lbs ago!

994abe49-886c-4c48-83e6-eb8990af4d22.jpg

I'm sitting at about 285 and have just started geocaching. I'm hoping that this new "obsession" of mine will perhaps help me trim down a bit. I know it's doing wonders for my mental health (however I do DREAM about geocaching now and I'm not sure how that's affecting my sleep........if I wake up in my underwear in the middle of the street with my GPS in hand...weeeelll.......that'd be another post...). :(

I figure that I'm at least getting off the couch and outside for some geo-exercise and that can't be bad for me at all.

Lost 72 pounds and kept it off more than a year and a half. Walking helped alot, and caching helped me keep on walking. Here's my before and after pic. As you can see, I'm not skinny yet, and at the rate I'm going now, maybe never will be. But I'm much better than I was 72 lbs ago!

994abe49-886c-4c48-83e6-eb8990af4d22.jpg

Way cool!!!! I know of a local that lost about 50 lbs through caching because it motivated him to get out walking more.

I was about 245 when i started caching 4 years ago...then i dropped to 212. Now I am up around 260, give or take, but this is the healthiest i have been since college.

I think the weight thing has more to do with getting divorced and my own cooking, and then learning to cook a little, than the exercise I have been getting. Also, since I am very tall, 6'9" to be precise, the heavier weight is actually more healthy for me than the lower weight was. (Yah, tell that to my KNEES!)

So anyway, there's my stats - interesting to see so many on the Jeremy Irish Diet...seems to be very effective.

6' 0"

225 lbs.

I weighed 252 lbs in July 2003 and vowed to lose 52 lbs in 52 weeks. One year later I weighed 196 lbs. (I started caching Sept 2003 so some of the weight loss may be caching-related.) (Though I think it more likely it was eating less and biking 30-40 minutes twice daily.)

I am now at 225 and have been here for some time with limited exercise. Maybe I have reached my optimal weight. I keep pretty active (though not exercising) and cache when I can. I especially like medium to long hikes.

Though I am happy with my current weight my wife is not. We met during university when we were both on the swim team and I weighed 169. And of course she still weighs the same. Oh well!

Caching is definately helping with my excersize levels. Which is good given that I'm an instant gratification sort of person when ti comes to excersize.

Haven't lost any weight yet, but ask me again at the end of the summer B)

(I am short and zaftig. My goal in life right now is to fit beack into my pair of size 14 leather pants)

Edited by EleriandBlade