Sliding Rock In North Carolina

jhwjohn

Im going to visiting Pisgah national forest this summer and will be stopping by the Sliding Rock there. Anyone know of some good easy caches there. Ones that are near sliding rock and are on nearby trails that are not much longer than 1.5 mile hike round trip. Also some that are near some nice waterfalls in the area that dont require too long of a hike.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks

no, were going to Pisgah national forest and theres a natural rock thats like a big 60 ft slide. I guess sliding rock isnt the actual name for it, but thats all ive heard it called and its near Looking glass falls in Pisgah National forest but im just not exactly sure wheres its at near the falls. I was wondering what were some good caches near there that arent too far down trails cuase there will be a lot of people and were taking a day trip to the sliding rock.

Hi,

I work about a mile away from sliding rock. You may want to call the Pisgah Forest Ranger Station before you try to go to sliding rock (828-877-3265). They are currently working on the sliding rock. It received some flood damage from the Hurricanes. That should not stop you from heading this way. The shining rock area is a great place to cache. You will have 360 degree views from some of the balds up there. Whan are you headed this way? Are you looking for multi caches, or traditionals. We have a few roads that are still closed in the area but there are ways around these. Drop me an e-mail and I can suggest some great caches.

Matt (Nuwati)

Wow, thank you so much for all the information. If i do get to go, it will be sometime in the middle or end of July. Do u think it will be open by then? Since were probably only going to be there a day and most of that day will be at Sliding rock (if its open by then) i wont get to do many caches far away from sliding rock. So i was wondering which cache is closest to sliding rock. Then i will get the waypoint for that and work my way from there by distance if we get to do more than one or two caches.

Thanks again for the information that phone # may come in handy when were up there lost. <_<

:D I too have been to sliding rock but it was back in 1997/8 before geocaching. The slide is fun but as was stated...the water is cold. To bad they don't make swim suits or jeans with thick padding. I do remember having a sore one when it was over.

WA Red Bear

Spokane WA

I tried Google-ing for recent info on Sliding Rock, best I could find was this link, which says (among other things):

"Sliding Rock is open from Memorial Day through Labor Day each summer from 10 AM – 6 PM daily. Parking is available on site for $3 per vehicle, and there is plenty of room for a casual picnic in the grassy areas around the parking lot (there are no food sales at Sliding Rock area, so bring your own or stop somewhere in Brevard before heading on to Sliding Rock)."

And also I hadn't really thought about it, but this statement from the hyperlink above makes sense, too:

"A word to the wise – from centuries of water flowing over its surface, Sliding Rock is smooth, but not so smooth that it won’t chew up bathing suit bottoms, so bring a pair of expendable cut-off jeans or canvas shorts for the slide. Also, take great care when walking on Sliding Rock – again, it has water running over it all the time, so areas of the rock will be slippery for walkers, and those slippery spots have caused many a fall for the unsuspecting."

Post back here if ya'll get to go slide and have fun, I want to try it out this summer!

Im going to visiting Pisgah national forest this summer and will be stopping by the Sliding Rock there.  Anyone know of some good easy caches there.  Ones that are near sliding rock and are on nearby trails that are not much longer than 1.5 mile hike round trip.  Also some that are near some nice waterfalls in the area that dont require too long of a hike. 

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.  Thanks

I haven't been to Pisgah in a year, but every cache I found there was great! Sorry, I realize that's not much help. ;)

There are actually 16 or so caches within 1.5 miles of Looking glass falls.

The falls are located approx. 35.2991 , -82.7698 this is great flyfishing waters if you are so inclined. Actually Davdson River downstream is listed as on of the 100 top trout streams in america. several caches are falls oreinted Moore Cove Falls GCCBFB do a search on above coordinates and you can make a list.

As previously stated that water is really cold.

Good Hunting

That is a great area. I would recomend any cache placed by NC_Ron&Dianne. Also if you want a real treat you might want to go a little futher East to the below cache. It is a true five star with 900 foot elevation climb and 3 ropes to climb.

GC4981 Pather Tail Perch