What compass

Guest relichound

Guest relichound

I know this topic has been visited before but I would like to no what types of compasses you guys are using geocaching. I noticed on my first cashe that when I got very close to the cache that my eTrek legend started to go crazy in the light tree cover. Sorry if I start to ask alot of questions but I'm very new to geocaching.

Thanks,

Jerry

Guest WaylandersMA

Brunton 8097 for $35.00

You can flip it over and set the declination correction, (Corrrection from magnetic to true north.) This way you can set the GPS on "true" north and the compass is also "true" north.

It is also "needle-less" oil so it is rock solid.

A big step up from my wife's girl scout compass....

Guest Markwell

Thanks - I've been wanting to ask this question, too. I picked up a "fish-eye" compass at SportMart for $14. Salesman claimed with this you didn't have to hold it level. Problem was it has a crease around the "equator" that sometimes locks the floating ball into position. Have to constantly shake it.

Guest Cybeq

Beware of the cheaper compasses. They all point to magnetic north ok but if you have to shake it because it sticks that's a bad thing. Another problem which may creep up is the liquid inside developing bubbles at higher altitudes. I had one which was pretty much useless above 5000ft. The bubbles interferred with needle movement. You can't go wrong with a Silva compass. I have a Silva Trekker Type 20. Note: Be sure you know what magnetic declination is and how to compenstate for it!

------------------

"You know you've reached middle age when all you exercise is caution."