Across The Pond

If you're lucky, the airline you're travelling on will let you use the GPSr in the plane during the flight. It's quite interesting to be able to see exactly where you are, how fast the plane is going,, what that land mass you're seeing is, etc.. hey it's a fun way to kill some time on a long flight :unsure:

However, many airlines have policies now that won't allow you to use the GPSr in the plane. Make sure you ask permission first before firing it up.

I've done it a number of times and have never had to reinitialize the GPS (Magellan 315 and Meridian Gold). You'll find the first time it can take a while before you get a good EPE so pick an easy cache first. You should also be able to get a good WAAS lock now that EGNOS is operational - at least I did last time I was over. Also get some good paper maps - North American GPSr's don't have basemaps that are much use in Europe.

I've done it a number of times and have never had to reinitialize the GPS (Magellan 315 and Meridian Gold).  You'll find the first time it can take a while before you get a good EPE so pick an easy cache first.  You should also be able to get a good WAAS lock now that EGNOS is operational - at least I did last time I was over. Also get some good paper maps - North American GPSr's don't have basemaps that are much use in Europe.

Be shure to turn your WAAS/EGNOS off because EGNOS will not be operational untill June!!!

Check out this link.

The Egnos system is running in test mode right now. That means that signal comes and goes, and the information contained in the signal, when it's on, is perhaps not always correct.

But if you do get the "D" symbols, in Europe, then it is Egnos you see. Or rather the pre-operation test of Egnos.

Earlier receivers (or those that aren't updated) sometimes couldn't handle WAAS/Egnos, when you had used them with one system, and then relocated to the service volume of the other system. Garmin has updated their software to handle this. With a 60CS, this is not an issue, since it's new enough to incorporate this from the beginning. An old Vista can have this problem, if it hasn't been updated to the later firmware versions.

We recently went to Ireland and when we got there I had to go into setup and enter Europe then select Ireland so that it would aquire the sattelites. Before I did that it just kept searching for 30 minutes until I realized it. Don't forget to set it back after you get home. I left mine on during the flight back and saved the track. Plus it is cool watching the miles tick away on it.