Finding a cache that fits

Guest shujin

Guest shujin

What do you think about adding icons to the Nearest Geocaches list in your state? There could be a truck or car depending on the road to it. A number sign for the distance from where you park that you would walk. A child that signals the cache is children friendly...and so on. This way you could go the the main list and choose the one that fits your requirements for the day. Any thoughts???

New to this, but enjoying it.

Guest 300mag

New blood new idea's i think you have a good idea . You could almost chose the cache you want depending on distance from the starting point and difficulty . Around here in Canada my cache is a bit difficult because of the deep snow but it will also be hard this summer with the creeks people will have to cross.So a snowshoe or rubber boot symbol would be good icon_wink.gif

Depending on the season.

Guest 300mag

New blood new idea's i think you have a good idea . You could almost chose the cache you want depending on distance from the starting point and difficulty . Around here in Canada my cache is a bit difficult because of the deep snow but it will also be hard this summer with the creeks people will have to cross.So a snowshoe or rubber boot symbol would be good icon_wink.gif

Depending on the season.

Guest Moun10Bike

A problem with having the icons always showing is that those who want a complete surprise will have the mystery ruined. It might be better to have an option to display the icons or keep them off.

Guest nekosoft

The stasher could always encrypt such information in the "hints" section. "Coordinate only" geocachers know better than to decrypt the hints, but families and such probably appreciate those details.

--

nekosoft

Guest jeremy

I've been thinking about adding some kinds of icons, but there's a valid point of not giving too much away. One idea might to have the advanced search area have a radio button that says "filter hints" or something, so all you get is basic coordinates and little else.

Now that we're getting different types of caches (multi-stage, or offset) I may start separating them out as well. That way if you do just get the coordinates you understand that the cache is not there but xx feet/miles/metres/etc away in xx direction.

Jeremy

Guest shujin

The main thing that got me thinking of this was 1)Having young kids 2)A 4X4 and a Miata 3)My mom who would enjoy the short ones, but I wouldn't think of taking her on a mile or so hike.

Maybe there could be a search that could get caches that meet your needs, thus eleminating putting to much out there unless someone looks for it.

Guest Moun10Bike

A search engine in which you specify certain criteria would be a great solution! You could choose what criteria you want to sort by, and those that don't want the mystery ruined could simply avoid using the tool.