Orphaned Caches

In the mountians near me are three caches placed in 2002. I was the last to find them a little over a year ago. One was in very poor shape and I noted that in my log. Since that time a major fire went through the area and I think another may have been destroyed since the plastic container was in the path. Several logs by others have inquired of the owner about their condition. I have e-mailed the owner a couple of times directly. There have been no replies. His profile says he hasn't logged on since last November and he hasn't been active in placing or finding caches since 2002. I like the area and plan to do the 9 mile round trip 2000 ft climb hike to the caches in the near future to give the caches some service.

Meanwhile, I don't want these caches to go away. But I don't want to "steal" them either by requesting transfer of ownership - at lest until I speak to the owner. Which brings me to my question:

At what point does a cache become orphaned where one can take steps for new ownership without feeling guilty?

Until then I'll be perfectly happy to do the housekeeping on them.

Team Dromomania

Well, the thing I have done is posted Should Be Archived (SBA) notes. The reviewer for the area looks it over and attempts to contact the owner. If they are unresponsive, the reviewer will try to adopt the cache out, or ask that someone retrieve it.

If the cache owner won't respond to an email from the reviewer, then there is no reason to feel guilty. They either quit geocaching (here) or for whatever reason don't feel obligated to clean up their stuff.

Just make sure that the caches really are worthy of an SBA note - don't go tagging all the caches you want to 'own' with SBA notes. Your reviewer will not be amused. If you feel it is legitmately abandoned, advise the reviewer (and if you are inclined, suggest that you would be willing to adopt).

The two SBA notes I posted I did not choose to adopt. However I made sure to log the SBA note as postively as I could (in other words I didn't insult the cache owner or call the cache itself lame). Just point out the problems, and let the system work it out.

If the cache is not abandoned, then nothing is lost.

Just make sure you make one more visit to those caches before logging the SBA note - don't rely on previous finders logs to determine the cache status.

Whatever happens, good luck!

At what point does a cache become orphaned where one can take steps for new ownership without feeling guilty?

Six months is plenty of time to convince me. And since I'm one of the NorCal reviewers I can say I'm convinced :D However I won't process an adoption on a cache that hasn't been found in over 2 years, as it may or may not exist today. On the bright side I won't archive them either, since there is no proof there is a problem.

But if you go back up there and check them out, and repair or replace them as necessary, then I'll be happy to process an adoption. I'll attempt to email the previous owner, and if I don't get an answer, they're yours. Simple.

Well, the thing I have done is posted Should Be Archived (SBA) notes.

To use your phrase, I would "not be amused" if you submit SBAs on caches just because there are no logs in 2 years. Sure, it hasn't been found, but it hasn't been "not found" either. Until there is evidence of a problem, I don't care if the listing is 5 years old. It's still viable.

Thanks for the comments. I'm not TRYING to adopt these caches as much as I just want them to remain active. I'll be visiting them in a couple of weeks and will leave logs of the visits. I also plan to try once again to contact the owner myself. If nothing is heard within a few weeks then I think I'll let the approvers do their thing with the option of me adopting. I do like the area and while on that adventure of repairs I think I'll place another of my own at a nearby peak. The views are great. Thanks again.

I'd say if the owner is unresponsive and hasn't logged on to this website for more than 6 months, the cache is orphaned.

I'll be visiting them in a couple of weeks and will leave logs of the visits.

If you already know that the caches are in bad shape, be sure to bring new containers and logbooks. That way you're already set if you plan on adopting the caches.

Either that, or taking the remains with you and logging a SBA won't be beyond the bounds of acceptability.

We had some caches in Daytona that were orphaned after the hurricanes. Some were archived by the approvers after SBA notes. I hated writing one myself. The approvers did end up receiving contact from the cacher after a few months. He had suffered health problems as well as substantial damage from the hurricanes. He is slowly taking care of his caches, which is a very good thing.

We have a large lake south of us with 15 geocaches on islands. Only two have been visited since last summer. A number had logs indicating cache maitenance was required.

I emailed each of the 15 owners the following: (paraphrased)

I love the island caches and have done them twice with my pontoon boat loaded down with cachers - these might not get visited often but 20-something Alabama geocachers still have these, and that trip, high on their favorites list!

Have you checked on your cache yet this year? Do you plan to? If you no longer can or want to maintain it I would be glad to adopt it!

I fish here at least once a month and can take care of them if you'd like.

If you want me to adopt them please email your approver and ask them to transfer ownership to me.

If you want to keep it and would just like me to check on or replinish it let me know!

Have fun,

Ed

Interestingly, one owner was moving away and looking for adopters, so I got all three of hers, adopted two from another fellow and then one more from a third, so I now own six of the 15, and haven't heard from all of the owners yet!

Of those I haven't heard from, if the owner doesn't visit / maintain the cache for a total of nine months I will ask the approver directly for ownership.

Good luck!

Ed

Quick question:

Can a cache that has been "archived" be un-archived at some point?

I think it is possible, but very rare. There is now a "disable" feature. But if you are talking about an older cache that was genuinely archived (as opposed to an 'Oopsie' moment), then I don't think the reviewers will do that for you, without special circumstances.

If there was a cache you liked (maybe it had a great view), you might make a new memorial cache in it's honor... Dunno.

<- not a reviewer...

<- not a reviewer...

But a Get Fuzzy fan, so you have my vote!

Thanks for the answer. There were two popular multi's near me which were archived earlier this year because of muggling. The owner left the option open for someone to adopt them and get them unarchived. I was just wondering if that was a serious option.

<- not a reviewer...

But a Get Fuzzy fan, so you have my vote!

Thanks for the answer. There were two popular multi's near me which were archived earlier this year because of muggling. The owner left the option open for someone to adopt them and get them unarchived. I was just wondering if that was a serious option.

Hrm... not sur ein that case. You might email your local reviewer. I've got no idea on that one.

And Get Fuzzy rocks. :unsure: MMmmm.... MOOOnnnnkeeeeeyyyyy

A lot depends on the reviewer. If a cache is reported missing and the owner is MIA, I'll inform our local reviewer who disables the cache and attempts to contact the owner. if nothing is heard back within a month or two the reviewer usually posts a reviewer note stating that the cache can be adotped or should be cleaned up. I just picked up the pieces of one a week or so ago that was a multi with the final stage missing since January. The owner isn't an active cacher, and hasn't taken action, so it was time to clean up the geolitter. Caches that aren't being maintained should be removed, otherwise they become trash, and they hog space that could be used for new hides. But I'd never remove one without going through the proper channels, which start by notifying the owner and/or local reviewer.