Blake Island Run

CENT5

I'm thinking about a Blake Island run. Friday 13 May. Leave from Des Moines Marina at 9:15-9:30AM. Meet at my house (Lakeview (Where's the water?) (GCN3NN) at 8:30. I a have Suburban and can haul 8. Could concievably pick people up from other marinas.

Yes, I know, it's a Friday. It's my day off.

Been past Blake MANY times before but never stopped. The 3 caches out there are enticing me. (GCB0DD) (GC3A8F) and (GC5038). I have a 24' Bayliner that will hold 5 in rainy weather. Can go to 6-7 in decent weather. Have life jackets for 7. Lunch at the "Tides" in Gig Harbor. Any takers?

Oh ya-- If ya can kick in a couple bucks for gas that 90 Gallon tank HURTs to fill these days.

Edited by CENT5

Boy, you are going to travel in style. On August 7, 2003. I launched my 12 foot

Hi Laker with the powerful 9.9 HP Mercury at the Manchester ramp. First time I ever had a full Commander as my crew. Ajetpilot and I set Blake Baretta on the GPS and followed it to the southern tip of the island. We speeded over there at about 12 knots on a calm sea. Beached the boat and had the cache in hand in a few minutes. Pushed the boat off and motored around the east side to the Dock.

We were small enough to go where they moor their dingys. Made a smooth landing without the assistants of a tug. We hiked to the other two caches. Ran into a very nice couple who had paddled over from the Manchester area and they went with us to find one of the caches. Being the oldest and smartest, I was the only one with long pants and was elected to brave the nettles to go get the cache, which I did. Very enjoyable day. I use to take my boys over there camping before

they made a state park out of it. In fact we were there the night of the Alaska earthquake. Enjoy yourself. It's a great place. Dick, W7WT

I don't know if tides are any concern or not. My Garmin 76S tide table indicates a

9.1 tide at 0722 and a -.4 tide at 1502. If you read the logs a few Geocachers have returned to their boat and found it high and dry and had to wait until the

next high tide. If you are just going to tie up to the dock may not be a problem.

From your profile picture roaring up the Skagit, I would think you are an experienced

boatman. Dick, W7WT

I've been driving small boats on big water (Lake Kabetogama in MN is 25,000 acres) since I was 10 and Puget Sound to Rivers inlet since '89 with the 24 footer. Hopefully after 43 years I have most of the stupid stuff out of my system. :(

Do appreciate the heads up on the tides. I had read the logs but hadn't gotten that far in my planning. The run from Des Moines is about 30-40 minutes for me so that gets us in there about 10 AM. We should be fine at the dock and I know better than to tie up inside at the "TIDES". :D

This is a GREAT trip. A group of 7 of us did the same trip almost exactly a year ago...May 8, 2004. We had two 16/18' boats and left from Manchester. We tied up at the Blake Island Docks near the lodge and walked to all the caches from there. We were done and back to the boats for lunch (which we brought with us). Just as we were finishing lunch, the storm clouds moved in and it began to pour. My 16' runabout has NO cover, so it was a fun trip back to Manchester. On that day, there was a -2.8 low tide at 2:45PM. I tied my boat up to the end of the dock, drove GeoGrammy back to Tacoma and returned to Manchester about 3 hours later and still had to wait for the tide to come in so the launch ramp was in the water. All-in-all it was one of my best/most fun days of caching. Have fun!!!!

BTW, the crew consisted of GeoDiver, GeoGrammy, Blue Heron, LadyDi, Perrin and Faile, and Sheep17.

Heard about this through HolyOle - Count me in if you still have a spot - Thanks

Could concievably take 1 more but it will be "cozy". I,ve loaded 3000 lbs of gear and 4 adults in the boat and driven from Des Moines to Rivers Inlet with no problem. (Well, MAYBE the Mother-in-Law wasn't such a hot idea on a 2 week trip. ;) )

The issue with alot of bodies is floor space. The cabin seats 4 + the driver. After that it's standing room only out of the rain. Or the V berth up front can handle two. The back deck is ok if it's nice out. (After I get it up on plane LOL.)

I had a chat with HolyOly and he accepted a slot. (He is my kids Youth Director at church.)

We have : reino, Cathy, Landrover, ElSanto, and HolyOle.

Will just plan on the Des Moines Marina sling at 0900 on the 13th.

Did I just miss the boat? 

As long as you are comfortable being "cozy" with a bunch of cachers you are welcome to join us <_<

I think this bus is officially full :blink:

Des Moines Marina 13 May 9:00 AM

Will e-mail each with my contact info.

The initial group will probably be back at the Des Moines Marina around 1:30-2:00 PM. (A bit earlier if we forgo lunch at the "Tides" in Gig Harbor.) I'd be willing to take another group to Blake if we can get 3-5 people that want to make the trip. Would have to depart Blake back to Des Moines by 5:00 PM or so as I have family stuff in the evening. Plus I have to haul the boat home, flush the engine etc. etc. but I'd be happy to do it.

I'd even hang my bum over the rail if need be!  :ph34r:

OMG have I got a pix for you. Lemme see if I can find it. Twas our Honeymoon in Canada 1983 fishing with the better half. She may never forgive me for this but she will probably never know.

I'd even hang my bum over the rail if need be!  :ph34r:

OMG have I got a pix for you. Lemme see if I can find it. Twas our Honeymoon in Canada 1983 fishing with the better half. She may never forgive me for this but she will probably never know.

Oh, I can see the blackmail now! "Gimme a Cache and Dash TB and your wife will never see this!" :D:huh::ph34r:

Ok here's the scoop.

Meet at Des Moines Marina at 9 AM and head to Blake Island. Arrive Blake about 9:45-10 ish.

I figure about 1.5-2 hours to do the Island.

That makes it about noon leaving the island headed to Gig Harbor. The run is about 30-40 minutes making it 1 PM when we hit the dock at "The Tides". If we all pack a lunch we can eat on the run so to speak.

We can then start caching from the dock with several targets in mind. Starting with:

Green Light at the Tides:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...00-eae8b91aaae9

There are several others in the area most of which Cathy has already done.

Crowbar: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d1-3d0dba13debd

This is very high on my list. But it's a 1 Mile walk from the dock.

It all depends on the group’s timeline. I have to leave Gig Harbor by 5PM.

Bottom line.

When would ya'll have to arrive back at Des Moines Marina to make any evening commitments you may have?

I'd probably be better off leaving GH earlier, maybe even 4PM. I need to get home to Kent and get cleaned up to attend a play at the Paramount in Seattle that starts at 8:00.

I'd be more than happy to revisit any caches I've already found. :ph34r:

Crowbar is worth the 1 mile walk to get there! It's awesome!!

I'd probably be better off leaving GH earlier, maybe even 4PM. 

Crowbar is worth the 1 mile walk to get there!  It's awesome!!

4 PM is not a problem. Works for me.

It's a 45 min run to Des Moines Marina from "The Tides"

Edited by CENT5

Just coming up for air here amid a big dose of "computer hell" (can you spell spyware B-U-L-L-S-E-Y-E?) Utter ack! So am reeeeeealy looking forward to Friday's BI run. Indeed, I have a gaggle of my brand-spankin' new gg passport globe sig tokens to drop - check 'em out at:

gg's new sig trinkets!

Ah but meanwhile, question is... precisely what meet time again?, and... how 'bout coords for the spot to meet at the Des Moines Marina. Alas, this northern yankee ain't got a clue... :anibad:

Guess what!

LandRover has another brainyach idea. :anibad::D

Depending on Cent5's thoughts, we might want to pull up and do Galloping Gertie for those who have not done it. This would be way easier than the way we did it during the GHCM. Of course this is only an idea and I will only take credit for it if it works out well and not like another brainyach idea I had a while back. :D

Back under my rock I go. :D

Guess what!

LandRover has another brainyach idea. :rolleyes:  :lol:

Depending on Cent5's thoughts, we might want to pull up and do Galloping Gertie for those who have not done it.  This would be way easier than the way we did it during the GHCM.  Of course this is only an idea and I will only take credit for it if it works out well and not like another brainyach idea I had a while back. :ph34r:

Back under my rock I go.  :rolleyes:

Having done Galloping Gertie (the HARD way with the tide not quite low enough), I can say that with a boat you can go right to it, assuming that a boat can be maneuvered close enough in to shore at that location.

Guess what!

LandRover has another brainyach idea. :unsure:  :huh:

Depending on Cent5's thoughts, we might want to pull up and do Galloping Gertie for those who have not done it.  This would be way easier than the way we did it during the GHCM.  Of course this is only an idea and I will only take credit for it if it works out well and not like another brainyach idea I had a while back. :laughing:

Back under my rock I go.  :unsure:

Having done Galloping Gertie (the HARD way with the tide not quite low enough), I can say that with a boat you can go right to it, assuming that a boat can be maneuvered close enough in to shore at that location.

Looking at the tides for the day:

http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow.cgi...e%2C+Washington

Galloping Gertie will be well up the beach. While my boat is in its 15th season and has some well earned battle scars. Methinks a trip to the beach in that area will do my hull little good. Something about the sound of barnacles on gel coat. Kind of like fingernails on a blackboard and it conjures up visions of my handing the pirate at the boat shop my Am-Ex Gold card along with my first-born. :laughing:

A boat is a hole in the water into which one throws money.

I think Cathy has pretty well hit the meeting place with: Wave at the Log Jam.

I will be coming in from the North end of the parking lot near the fishing pier. (Anthony’s Homeport is the south end 421 South 227th Street Des Moines, WA 98188) You can’t miss the boat sling. If I get a chance tomorrow I’ll go grab some coords but I’ve a very busy day ahead after I get off work at 0500. ewwwww

I have to fuel the boat before I come down and I have to drop my daughter off at school at 8:00 so I may be running closer to 9:15 before I get to the sling. Look for a white suburban towing a 24’ white on gray boat. It’s a package that’s hard to miss.

Will e-mail all with my cell#.

Edited by CENT5
Just coming up for air here amid a big dose of "computer hell" (can you spell spyware B-U-L-L-S-E-Y-E?) Utter ack!  So am reeeeeealy looking forward to Friday's BI run.  Indeed, I have a gaggle of my brand-spankin' new gg passport globe sig tokens to drop - check 'em out at:

gg's new sig trinkets!

Ah but meanwhile, question is... precisely what meet time again?, and... how 'bout coords for the spot to meet at the Des Moines Marina.  Alas, this northern yankee ain't got a clue...  :unsure:

VERY Nice Sig item you have there.

I am also a Northern Yankee. Minnesota to be precise. Will be nice to meet you.

(Were there ever any Southern Yankees.) :laughing:

Can we wear hiking boots on the boat, or is "deck shoes only" an outdated thing I remember from the olden days?

It is a white deck and softscrub will take out the black marks. I would, however, prefer any kind of tennis shoes and we can boot up when we get there.

"Deck shoes only" is most definitely not outdated. Cleaning this little 24' takes me 2 days and to wax it for the season with a power buffer takes me 80-100 manhours. Boats are VERY labor intensive. You get to see her without the makeup so to speak as I have no time left to do the wax and teak. (I got the teak stripped but it needs to dry before I put the oil on.)

Oh yeah, NO HIGH HEELS please :laughing:

I appreciate you bringing it up.

Edited by CENT5

O.k., o.k. this landlubber's gonna presume that "sling" is some wonky jargon that sailor's like to use to befuddle the aforementioned landlubbers of the world meaning... "slip" as in a "slip for the trusty CENT5 vessel"???

As opposed to... the coords at the 421 S. 227th address said same sailor (try saying that 3 times fast!) noted above (deftly converted via MapoRama this very a.m. to N47 23.880 W122 19.680) - which admittedly is but... 1,470 ft. or about .23 miles further south than the "sling" and 500 ft. further east...

In any case, trust that gg shall be there at 0900 manana, with both bells and sneakers on! :laughing:

O.k., o.k. this landlubber's gonna presume that "sling" is some wonky jargon that sailor's like to use to befuddle the aforementioned landlubbers of the world meaning... "slip" as in a "slip for the trusty CENT5 vessel"???

Sling as in Sling. They pick the boat up off the trailer and sling it into the water.

(Hopefully landing right side up.) :D

Now that was fun.

Didn't even have the boat in the water. Somebody says ahh there’s a cache close. CLOSE Ya right. 100 ft. Got it for #1.

Had Cathy drive most of the way to Blake till we ran smack into a pod of Dall's Porpoises. Was very cool with them breaching inside 6 ft of the boat. Shut the boat down and enjoyed the show for a bit. It was funny because they came to us, as we didn't pursue them at all. (Law says 100 yd's.)

Got to Blake shortly after 10 and headed out. Spent some time placing a cache to be seen later and did the whole island. The on-line island map is not completely correct so we found out.

Blake's Baretta fell quickly then we headed north. Having gained some elevation we were loath to give it up and got pinned between Chief Sealth's Birthplace and Blake Island Summit. 500 feet of nettles, I don't think so. Down we went.

Blake Island Summit did not fall easily. El Santo and Holyole were in shorts and t-shirts and they were nettle whacking away. This one fell hard but we got it.

Chief Sealth's Birthplace was swiftly in hand and off we went to the landing. Free parking till 1:00 PM and we made that with time to sit on the boat/dock and have lunch.

About a 35 minute run took us to Gig Harbor. Fer crying out loud there are a ALOT of caches in there. Walked off the dock and popped 1. I figured I was at 49 and really wanted Crowbar for my 50. So we headed out. As we went along I realized I needed 1 more to set up Crowbar. Somebody says "well your 20 feet from a cache" DUH!!. Holyole found it quickly and off to Crowbar we went.

Amazing is all I can say. What a piece of work.

We had a couple more close in but time constraints had us head back because we all wanted a crack at "Green Light at the Tides"

"Eddon Boatworks Future Park" fell fast as we continued on. I dropped off to get the boat and run it up to the "Tides” Landed the boat and headed for "Green Light at the Tides"

NASTY NASTY but we persevered and it finally fell.

Someone said, “We‘ve got 10 minutes. WOO HOO number 10 for the day was Russell Rooftop Harborview and off we went to Des Moines Marina.

Stopped to visit some Sea lions basking on a buoy.

All in all a wonderful day. Thanks to all that came and I hope we can do something together again.

What a terrific day this was! CENT5 is a brave man indeed for letting me drive his boat (I have never driven a boat before), but it was a blast and I didn't hit anything! B) It was a great day for wildlife viewing - Dall's porpoises (way cool), harbor seals, and sea lions as we crossed the water, and deer on Blake itself. Spent a delightful morning exploring Blake and then on to Gig Harbor. Found a lot more caches than I expected to over there, and it was nice to finally see Crowbar in daylight. All too soon, it was time to return home. Thanks for the great day, CENT5! B)B)