What Is The Average Age Of A Geocacher?

Ok... Here is the crunched number for the day. The numbers were calculated from W7WT on up, and I will include other posters in tomorrow's number crunching...

I did this two different ways to see how the outcome would be. 1st I tallied the number based on everyone who gave exact ages who were at least a year old on up. Then I tallid the numbers for those 10 years on up. Here is how the numbers came out:

So far we have 6396 years spread over 199 people. This includes everyone a year on up for a grand total of 32.14 years as an average.

If you remove anyone younger than 10, you we end up with a total of 6200 years spread over 166 people for an average of 37.14 years.

There are the averages so far... I find it interesting that 33 youngsters brings the average down 5 years.

:unsure:

Still 70 until July, heading for Alaska mid May for two weeks of strenuous off in the boonies birding and then, accompanied by Carleenp's dad (73), some geocaching in the more civilized parts of the state. ;)

NevaP, aka Carleen's mom, still trying to decide what she wants to be when she grows up.

Last I checked you decided to be a scientist researching the number of different birds in geocache vicinities across the globe. Or are you considering a new career? I kind of like the one you have chosen! :unsure:

Oh and by the way, as a Veteran myself, I wanted to thank you Mr W7WT for what you did in WW2. Whatever you did, thanks. :unsure:

I don't know of any other WW2 vets who geocache... Including you, I've only met 3 WW2 vets in my life. One man I know served in WW2 all the way through Vietnam and retired after that war was over. He went in when he was 16 years old... He is in his upper 70's and still bench presses over 200 lbs. He's in better shape than most people I know. His wife is a young 45 years old. Maybe his young bride keeps him motivated! lol... I like talking to him about his experiences during his Army career.

Just thought I would pass that on to you.

Oh and by the way, as a Veteran myself, I wanted to thank you Mr W7WT for what you did in WW2. Whatever you did, thanks. :huh:

I don't know of any other WW2 vets who geocache... Including you, I've only met 3 WW2 vets in my life. One man I know served in WW2 all the way through Vietnam and retired after that war was over. He went in when he was 16 years old... He is in his upper 70's and still bench presses over 200 lbs. He's in better shape than most people I know. His wife is a young 45 years old. Maybe his young bride keeps him motivated! lol... I like talking to him about his experiences during his Army career.

Just thought I would pass that on to you.

Thank you. Started out flying Bi-planes as a Naval Aviation Cadet and ended up in the Pacific as a Junior Deck Officer on the USS Poseidon. I like to say I never killed anyone but bored a lot of people to death. Dick, W7WT

Still 70 until July, heading for Alaska  mid May for two weeks of strenuous off in the boonies birding and then, accompanied by Carleenp's dad (73), some geocaching in the more civilized parts of the state.  :huh:

NevaP, aka Carleen's mom, still trying to decide what she wants to be when she grows up.

Last I checked you decided to be a scientist researching the number of different birds in geocache vicinities across the globe. Or are you considering a new career? I kind of like the one you have chosen! :unsure:

You gals tickle me. :huh:

So is anyone keeping track of the average age?

I'm just too lazy right now, but it is an interesting statistic. :huh:

I am 33 and my husband is 27, plus 2 girls 10 and 1yrs old. The 1 year old already helped find a log when she was 2 months old. Because if I was not tring to duck under branches with her I would have never found it. And the ten year old we call the blood hound she really just tries to beat us to the cache for bragging rights! :huh:

Still 70 until July, heading for Alaska  mid May for two weeks of strenuous off in the boonies birding and then, accompanied by Carleenp's dad (73), some geocaching in the more civilized parts of the state.  :(

Last I checked you decided to be a scientist researching the number of different birds in geocache vicinities across the globe. Or are you considering a new career? I kind of like the one you have chosen! ;)

You gals tickle me. :unsure:

I'm glad somebody thinks we are amusing and not annoying. :huh:

Currently, being a complusive list keeper I am trying to decide if I should start a list of birds seen while caching or a list of caches found while birding. The problem is I usually am not sure which I am doing. :huh:

I have so many lists that almost every time I see a bird it goes on one list or another. I don't have the caches sorted out that well yet. :huh:

NevaP, one day older than she was yesterday

Edited by NevaP

I'm 47 - tho' like many of you (clearly many of you/us, from reading the postings), I am still about 11 years old at heart.

:ph34r: Amazing that the world still holds such breathless wonder for me/us.

;) And no, I don't have a MH diagnosis, I just don't have the language to express it correctly. ;)

Seriously, how many younger folk who may not have settled incomes (on some level) can afford to cache? (This might be a mistake to say.)

I'm 41....will be 42 in September....wife is 40....daughter 7....son 5 1/2. I'd say you're only as young as you feel and so most days that puts me over 50......heheh! :(

Seriously, regardless of what the average age comes out to be, I feel that this is a sport that anyone can enjoy no matter how young or old they may be.

And that's just ONE MORE reason why I love this gig.... :(

I also think my Mom has suddenly decided to become a forum poster when she grows up! :D I'm not sure if that is good or bad! Maybe I should watch what I say! :(:(

Seriously though, she and my Dad are a lesson in staying young. Get out, be active, and be young in mind, spirit and body. I can only hope I stay the same way as I age. They are great role models. :D

Im 24 and Demos is also 24. We learned about geocaching from someone who is also right around our age.

I would look at the stats. counting everybody, then count the age of people that are old enough to decide if they want to go geocaching. For example a 2 year old does not have much choice if they go w/ their parents but a 15 year old might want to do something else.

I don't know of any other WW2 vets who geocache...  Including you, I've only met 3 WW2 vets in my life.

My WW2 vet grandfather did his first cache a month ago back in Ohio, and over the last couple of days completed a couple more in New Mexico. He's not computer savvy, so he won't show up on the on-line logs, but does in the physical logs. There's WW2 vets out there, we just might not see them. :blink:

Edit: Oops, back on topic... he's 76. <_<

Edited by Jeep_Dog
I also think my Mom has suddenly decided to become a forum poster when she grows up!  :huh:  I'm not sure if that is good or bad! Maybe I should watch what I say! :blink:  :huh:

Seriously though, she and my Dad are a lesson in staying young. Get out, be active, and be young in mind, spirit and body. I can only hope I stay the same way as I age. They are great role models. :huh:

She forgets that I'm often snooping on what she's posting. :P I just don't find time to post all that often myself. This week I seem to be avoiding doing other things I should be doing.

Anyway, thanks, Carleen for saying those nice things about me and Dad.

(She may have ulterior motives. We are having lunch Friday to fill out the ticket order for the performing arts center 05-06 season. Guess whose credit card it goes on. <_< )

NevaP, home from the retired faculty spring lunch where she felt much younger than most of those old people.

I'm 45 and my caching kids are 8 and 5. Mom's been busy with school but hopefully she'll join our adventures in the summer. However, if I told her age I'd get in BIG trouble! :ph34r: Personally, I don't mind getting older. The alternative really stinks! :ph34r: