Garmin - Mapsource Software

etalon91

Hi all,

I recently purchased the latest version of the MapSource for the Garmin units, and noticed that it's not very detailed for Northern Ontario. For Southern Ontario, it appears to be very detailed, showing the rivers and lakes, but for areas such as Timmins, it simply only has major roads and major lakes.

I'm not sure if I'm using the software wrong. Can anyone verify the accuracy of the land for Northern Ontario?

In addition, I was hoping that the software would be better for smaller islands off of eastern Georgian Bay. But it isn't, it just shows the shore line.

Which software would you recommend (if any from Garmin), that would be more detail for Norther Ontario, and better island coverage off of Georgian Bay?

---

I was thinking the TOPO version would be nice, but before I spend more money, I want to see if it's actually that accurate for northern parts of Ontario.

Thanks to all repliers :grin:

Hi all,

I recently purchased the latest version of the MapSource for the Garmin units, and noticed that it's not very detailed for Northern Ontario.  For Southern Ontario, it appears to be very detailed, showing the rivers and lakes, but for areas such as Timmins, it simply only has major roads and major lakes.

I'm not sure if I'm using the software wrong.  Can anyone verify the accuracy of the land for Northern Ontario?

In addition, I was hoping that the software would be better for smaller islands off of eastern Georgian Bay.  But it isn't, it just shows the shore line.

Which software would you recommend (if any from Garmin), that would be more detail for Norther Ontario, and better island coverage off of Georgian Bay?

---

I was thinking the TOPO version would be nice, but before I spend more money, I want to see if it's actually that accurate for northern parts of Ontario.

Thanks to all repliers :grin:

i get lots of detail. try this...

Goto VIEW>MAP DETAIL and select HIGHER or HIGHEST.

You should see all the islands in Georgian bay and all the roads and rivers up in Timmins.

ms.jpg

Let me know if that works.

Cheers,

mrking

Edited by mrking

What Mapsource maps did you purchase? Metroguide Canada 4 and Topo Canada both have very good detail of Northern Ontario. Both have complete street level coverage of Timmins as well as lakes and rivers.

You should try Garmin's mapviewer and compare the differences.

Cheers, Olar

I recently purchased the latest version of the MapSource for the Garmin units, and noticed that it's not very detailed for Northern Ontario. For Southern Ontario, it appears to be very detailed, showing the rivers and lakes, but for areas such as Timmins, it simply only has major roads and major lakes.

I'm in Timmins and have MapSource. When you say no detail do you mean on the computer or on the GPSr. If you mean the GPSr, you have to pick which parts you want detailed maps for sent to the GPSr. E-mail me if you need more help.

Murfster ( Timmins )