This Guy Stole 156 Travel Bugs.

i lost a TB on the punks list at a cache that was muggled, i've had my cache muggled as well. i hope it isnt the same person who trashed mom & pop's caches that is stealing and trashing other cacher's work. mom & pop put alot time and effort in their caches and where probably the best caches in the denver area and some punk trashed all 17 in one weekend. now they dont put out anymore caches because of this loser. and out of nowhere a bunch of TB's (mine was missing for a long time) are logged on the same day. i enjoy caching , i enjoy putting out TB's and see how far they go , and i enjoy putting out a cache for cachers to find but people like remorser take the fun out of it . thats my 10 cents worth. and i did e-mail him/her a couple of times and got no reply .so maybe (but i doubt it ) they will drop off mine and everyone 's TB.

The thing is, this is the game. We put caches out, or travel bugs out and we know they aren't forever. Whether it's a random jogger, camper, or an idiot cacher, it's going to happen that they disappear. Same with travel bugs, they will only go so far. Yea, it's cool to see caches last for years and years, and bugs go for miles and miles, but they don't. And getting your feathers ruffled and all angry is pointless. It's going to happen, don't let it ruin your fun. Stealing junk isn't exactly "fun", it's a short term thrill. He may steal bugs for now, but he'll go off to do something more fun later. Stealing worthless stuff from strangers you'll hardly meet doesn't exactly give huge thrills. And the thing that will determine how long he does this is how long we continue to pine and whine over it. He's an idiot, he took the stuff, big deal, get over it and go cache!! Don't let someone else ruin your fun.

Edited by twjolson
The thing is, this is the game. And getting your feathers ruffled and all angry is pointless. Stealing junk isn't exactly "fun", it's a short term thrill. Stealing worthless stuff from strangers you'll hardly meet doesn't exactly give huge thrills. And the thing that will determine how long he does this is how long we continue to pine and whine over it. He's an idiot, he took the stuff, big deal, get over it and go cache!!

Well this shows the lack of experience on your part.

Just get over it. Stolen junk. Worthless stuff from strangers. Whine over it. Big deal.

Maybe when you put together a cache, and dont just throw a micro with a log in it, but a nice ammo can placed in the woods and well stocked, you will see the effort that goes into it,. Some of these takes hours of planning. Then you have the expense. An ammo can is a few dollars, and i know personally i have about $50 total between FTF prizes and random "junk" stuffed into my worthless ammo can. Yea if someone took it i would "whine" about it. What is even less respectable is someone who is in the game can actually tell others who have spent this time and effort to make something fun for them, to stop whining. You have been in the game for almost 3 years and yet have only 20 finds. I wouldn't condsider this highly active, but that is your choice. What i will say is someone with 20 finds doesnt have a ton of experience so you have alot to learn. First and formost you need to learn how to respect others work and not tell them to get over it. Then try to refrain from calling it junk, unless of course you visited these caches themselves and can honestly say it was junk. Then once again refrain from making them feel their anger for having caches and TB's stolen, is pointless. Maybe oneday you will see that this is a valid point on their parts, and they have every right to vent here without you chastising them about. This wasn't a random thing of a cache disappearing. Yes that happens. This was a group of caches targeted and 156 TB's stolen. Majorly different than 1 being muggled. Until you get it maybe you should go caching!!

Well this shows the lack of experience on your part.

Just get over it. Stolen junk. Worthless stuff from strangers. Whine over it. Big deal.

Maybe when you put together a cache, and dont just throw a micro with a log in it, but a nice ammo can placed in the woods and well stocked, you will see the effort that goes into it,. Some of these takes hours of planning. Then you have the expense. An ammo can is a few dollars, and i know personally i have about $50 total between FTF prizes and random "junk" stuffed into my worthless ammo can. Yea if someone took it i would "whine" about it. What is even less respectable is someone who is in the game can actually tell others who have spent this time and effort to make something fun for them, to stop whining. You have been in the game for almost 3 years and yet have only 20 finds. I wouldn't condsider this highly active, but that is your choice. What i will say is someone with 20 finds doesnt have a ton of experience so you have alot to learn. First and formost you need to learn how to respect others work and not tell them to get over it. Then try to refrain from calling it junk, unless of course you visited these caches themselves and can honestly say it was junk. Then once again refrain from making them feel their anger for having caches and TB's stolen, is pointless. Maybe oneday you will see that this is a valid point on their parts, and they have every right to vent here without you chastising them about. This wasn't a random thing of a cache disappearing. Yes that happens. This was a group of caches targeted and 156 TB's stolen. Majorly different than 1 being muggled. Until you get it maybe you should go caching!!

ENOUGH ALREADY.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and should not have to be subject to these kinds of diatribes. Caches thieves are a fact of life and yes this one put a lot more effort into than most, however there is nothing you can do about this. If this thread is going to disintergrate into this kind of name calling than can the original poster please lock this thread.

I'd like to thank them for alerting everyone about this hopefully people will grab bugs and move them out of the area to prevent any further problems. Eventually the cache theif will get bored and go away, they always do.

Edited by magellan315

I happen to agree with twjolson, and I've got 1370 finds. But I've just been told to stop caching. :P

After awhile, when you've lost a couple caches and hidden a whole lot more, a hider transcends the level where the cache is viewed as a collection of valuable material objects. I suppose it's the same with travel bugs. I am a "newbie" when it comes to travel bugs and I still get upset when one of my bugs goes missing. But I'll never start a forum thread about it; maybe post and whine a little in a general thread on bugs going missing is all.

I say, quit giving the jerk the attention he craves. Ignore him, for that is what he deserves.

Well, I say we have a collection of pretty bright people here who FIND THINGS. We ought to be able to pool our resources and find the guy. If we find the guy, 156 bugs can be returned and we can keep track of his activities in the future. No "whining". No debating whether TB's and caches are really junk. No involvement of law enforcement, who really can't do anything. Just some first class detective work and a (hopefully calm) confrontation. "Oh, well" just doesn't cut it. Please understand, I am not advocating violence. What I am advocating is an extension of our hobby in order to police ourselves. Anyone interested is requested to join me in this effort.

Well, I say we have a collection of pretty bright people here who FIND THINGS. We ought to be able to pool our resources and find the guy. If we find the guy, 156 bugs can be returned and we can keep track of his activities in the future. No "whining". No debating whether TB's and caches are really junk. No involvement of law enforcement, who really can't do anything. Just some first class detective work and a (hopefully calm) confrontation. "Oh, well" just doesn't cut it. Please understand, I am not advocating violence. What I am advocating is an extension of our hobby in order to police ourselves. Anyone interested is requested to join me in this effort.

Amen.

I wish I lived in the area in question.

The thing is, this is the game. We put caches out, or travel bugs out and we know they aren't forever. Whether it's a random jogger, camper, or an idiot cacher, it's going to happen that they disappear. Same with travel bugs, they will only go so far. Yea, it's cool to see caches last for years and years, and bugs go for miles and miles, but they don't. And getting your feathers ruffled and all angry is pointless. It's going to happen, don't let it ruin your fun. Stealing junk isn't exactly "fun", it's a short term thrill. He may steal bugs for now, but he'll go off to do something more fun later. Stealing worthless stuff from strangers you'll hardly meet doesn't exactly give huge thrills. And the thing that will determine how long he does this is how long we continue to pine and whine over it. He's an idiot, he took the stuff, big deal, get over it and go cache!! Don't let someone else ruin your fun.

This might be just a game for some cachers but not for me.I would hope that the money I spend on the junk I put in my caches is money spent for the enjoyment of other cachers.If I buy and send out a T.B. I would hope it travels from place to place and not end up in someones collection of T.B.s in the attic of their house.If things like this keep happening then the GAME will fizzel out as cachers get tired of spending time and money just to have it stolen.

This might be just a game for some cachers but not for me.I would hope that the money I spend on the junk I put in my caches is money spent for the enjoyment of other cachers.If I buy and send out a T.B. I would hope it travels from place to place and not end up in someones collection of T.B.s in the attic of their house.If things like this keep happening then the GAME will fizzel out as cachers get tired of spending time and money just to have it stolen.

So, ah.... let's do something.

I would love to "do something" but I'm in California.

I would be curious to see if anyone in Colorado who is in law enforcement has an opinion about this.

Regardless of what some people say, this person is stealing personal property. Many times criminals escalate their criminal activities. I just wonder what a local policeman or sheriff thinks about this and what they think can or should be done about it, if anything . . .

Amen.

I wish I lived in the area in question.

Sorry, but Colorado is closed. :P

I would like to do something .The same as everyone cacher out there to get the stolen bugs back into caches.What can us that are in other states do to perswaid this person to return them.would a bunch of emails pleading to him get the bugs back???????? Or would it be a waste of everyones time?????

I doubt if emails will persuade this person. Besides, they probably used a "throwaway email" to register on the site.

The thing that is really sad about this is that if this person was a legitimate cacher, they would have gained respect in the caching community by now, considering how many FTFs they may have garnered, how many caches they have found, and the huge number of travel bugs they could have moved on to further destinations.

Gee . . . I've only picked up 13 so far.

I don't understand why someone would rather get negative attention vs. the positive attention they could get by having new friends in the larger geocaching community.

I guess the criminal mind is simply different.

And, that is what this person is -- a criminal.

for all you out there calling me and others that lost TB's & caches "whiners" thats fine with me. i'm not "whining" about losing a TB or my cache being muggled , i knew when i placed them they might not go anywhere or turn up lost or stolen. and the cache i put out is in a area that has alot of people so the fact that it hasnt been muggled more than once is great. what im "whining "about is that ONE person is out there being a PUNK. my TB was lost for months, it was in a cache that was muggled , i figured it was gone .no big deal. then i got a e-mail saying that "remoser" has it . i was like great maybe it will go out again . only to find out that this guy/girl has stolen 156 TBs . THATS what im "whining " about. the fact that some PUNK is out there stealing not just one or maybe two but 156 TBs , thats what piss's me off and some of you are on this guys side. he's or she's a punk. it is a game and a game i enjoy to do and will keep playing with or without PUNK's. life's a adventure and geocaching add's to that adventure. happy caching

Here's what we can do. The guy registed a name and he took TB's and, maybe, trashed some caches. We know something from this information. We can determine the general area. We can talk to cachers in the area. We can find him. We have approvers and discussion monitors who know things. It's a puzzle and we can solve it.

And what happens if you find this cacher and they still say no to releasing them? Torches and pitchforks? A hanging in the town square?

There's an awful lot of angst around here for a game.

Uh...no. We find out who it is and have a nice chat. If you let him know that you know that kind of ends the fun for him.

And what happens if you find this cacher and they still say no to releasing them?  Torches and pitchforks?  A hanging in the town square?

There's an awful lot of angst around here for a game.

That's what I'm saying. Even IF, and that's a fairly sizable if, we could find this guy. So what, I would venture to guess that no law enforcment agency would arrest or charge him. (It might be that any travel bug is considered abandoned and not the property of anyone once you leave it, BUT I could be wrong I am no lawyer or cop)

I can understand being upset, I would be sad when my bugs get stolen, whether by this guy or some faceless punk. But lets face it the facts, odds are they are gone permanetly. And all travel bugs and caches eventually get lost or stolen, it's going to happen. And IF we could find him there isn't much we could do. And in the time we did spend trying to find him, be it hours or days, they could be spent doing fun things like geocaching! The only way a punk like this is going to ruin geocaching is if you let him. Pine and moan if you want over the lost, but I'd rather enjoy the caches that are out there, and the bugs that are still traveling then to mourn the lost.

Edited by twjolson

Maybe this is why alot of people don't want to put expensive stuff in caches. Just something I noticed looking through the forumns. Alot of people complaining about the swag not being up to their standards. Its disappointing finding junk in a cache from time to time but I don't cache for the swag (If I need something I can afford to buy it in the store) its more for the hunt. But this guy and thread justifies not leaving anything too important in a cache.

If someone steals your chickens do you just let them? After all, you have more chickens. If someone knows they can get away with something will they do it again? Probably.

I am proposing that the geocaching community--not the police--address this. I am proposing we do this for our own good and for our future. I am proposing we do this in a civilized manner. If you want to call that angst, well that's fine with me. Seems like we need a little angst here.

The thing that has really turned me off to geocaching is the attitude that says someone can steal 156 travel bugs, show no sign of releasing them, brag about it on the very website that gave him/her the ability to find them, and we just want to sit back and take it. Moreover, we will actively criticize those who would try to stop these creeps, all to avoid "angst".

Other hobbies and groups have standards for behavior. You want to be a jerk, you get treated like one. The HAM group and the Skywarn group I am affiliated with have no hesitation to drop a member who would act like this. Certainly people who call the jerk on their behavior would not be treated worse than the jerk.

As for me, the money I spend for recreation that used to go for caches and travel bugs will now go elsewhere, where I can be assured that the expenditure will not end up in some garbage can as the source of destructive pleasure for some sociopathic cretin.

Hasta la vista, Enabling Angstophobes!

The person found the caches with either another account, or no account at all (unless some of the caches were MOC).

If this person were truly remorseful, instead of just a "remorser," they could anonymously drop off the travel bugs in another cache/other caches.

I don't leave my chickens out in the middle of the woods, and post directions on the internet on how to find them. I keep them in my chicken coop on my own property. Try to steal my chickens out of the chicken coop and you'll be pickin' buckshot out of your backside.

Exactly. You chickens would be your property and they would be on your land.

I am not saying anyone should not be angry this person did this. I didn't mean to imply that. Its unfortunate he/she did this but I don't avocate tracking him down. What would you do if you did track him down? Just talk? I doubt it and what if he didn't want to talk? It sounds to me more like he/she would have a legit stalking charge against anyone who tried this. And I'm sorry but unless this state has special laws that I'm unaware of, The police can not assist you in a theft or anyother charge. The items were freely left on public land. In saying that I don't think he/she should have done what he/she did I'm just saying law enforcement really can't help and we don't need this sport turning into a bunch of members turning into vigalantees. Sorry my spelling stinks. Good day.

Nice geocide.

So if Jeremy bans the account, how exactly would this fellow drop off the travel bugs, if he were inclined to do so?

I guess this refers to my last post. Not a geocide, just a cache-placement and TB placement stoppage.

I seriously doubt that Jeremy could do anything meaningful. That doesn't mean that we don't do anything. It also means that when someone looks at a considerable cost that just went down the drain thanks to some loser, we don't further the irritation by implying that they are just being "angsty" or dropping some other insult on them (like yours).

The way we respond to things like this is to do what other groups have done. In HAM radio we have three levels of response.

1. For VERY bad things, the FCC comes down on you and takes your license and your radios.

2. For less bad things, Official Observers (the OO's) send you stern warnings.

3. For still milder offenses, local HAM's will pull you aside and tell you what you did wrong and how to avoid it in the future.

Note the parallels between HAM and Geocaching.

For really bad things, TPTB will yank your membership.

For minor things, you get slapped by the approver or some other person.

Where we fail is taking the initiative ourselves to deal with the minor problems or the medium problems. We then get all holier than thou on people who are upset about what ever the issue is, and get them all PO'd, meanwhile the scofflaw that started the problem skates away.

Given the unwillingness of GC and geocachers in general to stick to a real code of conduct and hold people to it, I just feel that I have spent enough money on this.

I have placed 14 caches, of these 5 are still active. That's about 500 bucks worth of stuff that is gone. Like most people, I can find better places to put that kind of money.

Question. What will banning this person accomplish? Have they posted anything since the original confession?

If you ban them they would still be able to get cache locations in that area. You don't need to be registered to search out a cache.

I can understand people being upset over this I just can't see what anyone can do to this person. I wish there was something that could be done.

Plus if you banned this person it may tick them off and they may continue this behavior or worse.

Edited by Team Mysticangel

I think it would be very interesting to create a new TB Hotel somewhere in this person's "sphere of activity" and have a wireless camera installed nearby.

That wouldn't cost all that much money and it would be great to catch the person in the act.

If they thought this might be done, it might curtail their activity for fear of being caught -- assuming they are still "collecting" TBs.

That would be interesting. As long as no one planned on using the camera image to extract revenge or take the law into their own hands.

Hopefully this person has ceased stealing TBs and trashing caches. Sounds like very juvenile behavior to me and it ruins our sport but I think people should probably cease contacting him/her and try to move on. This person is thriving on this attention IMO and if the attention disappeared maybe the TBs would surface or if he/she didn't return them hopefully he/she would stop taking new ones.

The thing that has really turned me off to geocaching is the attitude that says someone can steal 156 travel bugs, show no sign of releasing them, brag about it on the very website that gave him/her the ability to find them, and we just want to sit back and take it. Moreover, we will actively criticize those who would try to stop these creeps, all to avoid "angst".

Other hobbies and groups have standards for behavior. You want to be a jerk, you get treated like one. The HAM group and the Skywarn group I am affiliated with have no hesitation to drop a member who would act like this. Certainly people who call the jerk on their behavior would not be treated worse than the jerk.

Thank you! Finally someone agreeing with me. Too bad he quit the hobby. I plan to continue but I must say I am disappointed with some of the attitudes I have been hearing. Look, I don't want to argue with anybody on this thread. I was trying to enlist some support to take action----and I still think we should.

I don't want to argue either. I would like to help if there is something I could do but I don't see what any of us can do legally. What this person did was horrible but technically not against the law. I just don't want to see people stoop to this persons level. If there is anything I can do or any of us can do LEGALLY please post I'm sure alot of people will be willing to help.

There is a voluntary code of geocaching ethics and it specifically addresses these issues (jeopardizing caches and collecting TB's). See the Geocachers' Creed.

If you want to do something about the ethics of the sport, help publicize/ distribute the Creed (see the free resources page) and support it in the geocaching community by letting others know that you agree with its tenets. If there is strong support for ethics in the game, the peer pressure will help influence the players.

It's not a "cure all", but it is a start.

I think most who do these things do so for attention and this thread is likely feeding their wildest dreams. Find them and talk (or other)? I don't know.... I suppose that could make them think "uh oh, this backfired." But in the end I bet they can't be found and would still somehow like the attention. Overall, I figure why stoop to that level? Geocaching is a game, Travel Bugs are part of the game. All know that caches and bugs will go missing and that mean spirited people will come along and purposely make it happen. I hate when it happens, but dang, it does. Personally I let it go and continue to have fun. If others feel different and want to hunt a person down, so be it. But I question whether you will find success or feel really good if you do so. If you do, then I hope you are not too angry over what is a fun game so that things escalate. Bad people exist. From reading this I wonder if some good cachers are not seeking to become "bad people" themselves. The thread seems rather angry when I read it. :huh: If you find the person, are you going to revel in your humilation of them (or worse)??? That seems icky to me. If you seek the person please be civil and if this situation takes the fun from the game for you, I ask whether you should step back, re-think, and have fun in other ways. If you can't then maybe ask yourself why you can't do so. I would hate to see one mean person cause other good people to also become mean. If that happens the mean people of the world win and gain recruits.

I have to agree with WindSpirits regarding cachers becoming Premium Members. At present I am not a premium member, but am seriously considering it.

I know when we go camping/white water rafting, we choose to stay in locations that require a fee, and/or have security. The one time we arrived at a "free" camp area it was immediately obvious that it was unsafe, and a place for people to party. These same people don't want to "pay to play" and usually don't stay at locations that require a fee or enforce rules. Geocaching should not become exclusive, but the present, reasonable fee would discourage those with less noble intentions.

Now, if geocaching.com could actually find a way to list premium cache sites so only those members could find them. Locating these sites has become just another VERY SMALL challenge for cachers in my area.

All know that caches and bugs will go missing and that mean spirited people will come along and purposely make it happen. I hate when it happens, but dang, it does. Personally I let it go and continue to have fun. If others feel different and want to hunt a person down, so be it. But I question whether you will find success or feel really good if you do so. If you do, then I hope you are not too angry over what is a fun game so that things escalate. Bad people exist. From reading this I wonder if some good cachers are not seeking to become "bad people" themselves. The thread seems rather angry when I read it. :o If you find the person, are you going to revel in your humilation of them (or worse)???

That's what I was trying to say! If you follow everything to it's logical conclusion one of a few things will happen.

One: You won't be able to find him, the anger continues until you find another outlet

Two: You find him and confront him like a civilized person. He blows you off and nothing is solved.

Three: You find him and beat him to within an inch of his life. Anger solved and you are no better then him.

For those who are for starting a way to stop this kind of behavior, however voluentary "Creeds" are meaningless for idiots like this. And even if GC steps in, I don't imagine they can do much more then make all caches members only caches. I don't expect that they will, and I don't expect that will eliminate the problem, reduce, but not eliminate. I've seen other hobbies of mine that people pay just to be a-holes. Nothing I've heard on here so far will do anything to stop this behavior, or even stem the tide. I'm all for eliminating this pain in the butt problem, but honestly I don't see any real solutions. Not without excluding people from geocaching or having someone guarding all the caches.

Bottom line is this, we put this stuff out there, we hunt for it, but none of it is forever. Eventually a jerk will come along and ruin it or steal it. If you spend 500 bucks on a cache, enjoy it, have fun, but don't expect it to last forever. You can't put a cache out there and expect it to last forever. Rather then quit because of that lost money, I would rather enjoy it while it lasts. And if 500 is more then you are willing to spend on something that's temporary, don't spend so much!

Now let's drop this BS, quit giving this moron everything he is looking for and let's enjoy our game rather then continuing to let jerks like him ruin it.

Edited by twjolson
i lost a TB on the punks list at a cache that was muggled, i've had my cache muggled as well. i hope it isnt the same person who trashed mom & pop's caches that is stealing and trashing other cacher's work. mom & pop put alot time and effort in their caches and where probably the best caches in the denver area and some punk trashed all 17 in one weekend. now they dont put out anymore caches because of this loser. and out of nowhere a bunch of TB's (mine was missing for a long time) are logged on the same day. i enjoy caching , i enjoy putting out TB's and see how far they go , and i enjoy putting out a cache for cachers to find but people like remorser take the fun out of it . thats my 10 cents worth. and i did e-mail him/her a couple of times and got no reply .so maybe (but i doubt it ) they will drop off mine and everyone 's TB.

If he is remorsful you are not helping. You are also wrong on other issues but that is not the point of thie thread. If you want let the guy have a chance to release the TBs.

cheers

I've been following this for awhile. As one who has often been the target of mean-spirited bullying, I can't imagine why any of you seriously think (1) he's going to return these bugs or (2) he even has them in the first place.

Has he uploaded a single photo of all of these bugs? Of any of them?

He hit the bug logs all on the same day and some of them were active not long before he did so.

Sounds to me like someone having a little (nasty) fun at everybody else's expense. I would be delighted if these bugs magically reappear... but my magic eight-ball says "UNLIKELY".

As far as "if we call him names he's not going to return them" goes: he's at best a troll and at worst a thief--don't let him manipulate you. If he really did steal all those bugs, and he gets a big kick out of manipulating everybody, he's just going to do it again. Or somebody else who is similarly morally challenged will play copycat.

Edited by PlasteredDragon