This Guy Stole 156 Travel Bugs.

The point is this:  there is a link between the trashed cache statistics (i.e., specific events of trashing) and the associated TB's being in this person's posession so it isn't a stretch to assume cause and effect  / that this person was responsible.  ...

I guess the fact that he claims to have taken them would normally strengthen this argument, huh? :unsure:

Edited by sbell111

From TeamDS

Do we have any clues on tracking him down.

email from him ?

any shreds of contact info ?

Im a network security administrator and would love to have a crack at tracking him. Although most things can be forged, Im betting he's not the most computer litterate person around.

We are many, He is one. Lets put a name and face to this guy.

Edited by TeamDS
How about giving the guy a week or two and see if he is really remorseful before sending out the dogs. You may just scare him off and the bugs will end up in the trash.

That's fair.

Then we find his name and location and call the FBI or the postal inspectors for an interstate criminal investigation. Stealing a grand worth of TB's is not a trivial issue, and using the internet to do the crime makes it worse.

If there is anything the experience our friends in SC are having can teach us is that we have to be willing to nut up and deal with people who don't obey the rules or who commit crimes and call it geocaching.

The guy has 7 days to dump the 156 travel bugs into a neighborhood cache and then let people know they are there. Once confirmed by local cachers that the bugs are physically in the cache, he is off the hook, otherwise its a visit from the feds.

Sounds mean, but really, its time.

Well, I got one of the emails, too. He has one of mine. Or rather, he has the TAG for it. My "take my wife, please!" TB was in a cache that was trashed, goods scattered to the winds. The actual TB was found nearby but with the tag missing. A local cacher found it and sent it back to me, sans tag. At least I have the bug, but...

;):unsure:

Edited by joefrog
Once confirmed by local cachers that the bugs are physically in the cache, he is off the hook, otherwise its a visit from the feds.

I'm trying to decide if this was tongue in cheek, however I have a feeling that would be along the lines of "Hello, FBI? My cat ran away, can you send over Scully?"

Yes, it's a little more than irratating and i really can not see what his motivation was, however short of spending a little time trying to track him down, I don't think there is a whole lot that can be done. Afterall, a TB is "released".

Edited by baloo&bd
How about giving the guy a week or two and see if he is really remorseful before sending out the dogs. You may just scare him off and the bugs will end up in the trash.

That's fair.

Then we find his name and location and call the FBI or the postal inspectors for an interstate criminal investigation. Stealing a grand worth of TB's is not a trivial issue, and using the internet to do the crime makes it worse.

If there is anything the experience our friends in SC are having can teach us is that we have to be willing to nut up and deal with people who don't obey the rules or who commit crimes and call it geocaching.

The guy has 7 days to dump the 156 travel bugs into a neighborhood cache and then let people know they are there. Once confirmed by local cachers that the bugs are physically in the cache, he is off the hook, otherwise its a visit from the feds.

This was a joke, correct? Yep, the person who did it may not be a geocacher's best friend, but calling the cops?

Police: 911, what is your emergency?

Geocacher: Someone stole my travel bug.

Police: I see. Where was the travel bug last?

Geocacher: In a tupperware container deep in the woods.

Police: Where?

Geocacher: In a tupperware container deep in the woods!

Police: Okay. So you forgot your tupperware in the woods and someone found it?

Geocacher: No, I left it there on purpose.

Police: You did what?

Geocacher: I left it out there on purpose.

Police: Why?

Geocacher: So someone would find it and take things from it.

Police: And someone did this?

Geocacher: Yes.

<click>

That's fair.

This was a joke, correct? Yep, the person who did it may not be a geocacher's best friend, but calling the cops?

Police: 911, what is your emergency?

Geocacher: Someone stole my travel bug.

Police: I see. Where was the travel bug last?

Geocacher: In a tupperware container deep in the woods.

Police: Where?

Geocacher: In a tupperware container deep in the woods!

Police: Okay. So you forgot your tupperware in the woods and someone found it?

Geocacher: No, I left it there on purpose.

Police: You did what?

Geocacher: I left it out there on purpose.

Police: Why?

Geocacher: So someone would find it and take things from it.

Police: And someone did this?

Geocacher: Yes.

<click>

Not Click.

More like lots of laughter.

Maybe even, "Let me have your name and address again please."

Than the knock on the door. A free trip in a police car. etc., etc.

...Then we find his name and location and call the FBI or the postal inspectors for an interstate criminal investigation. Stealing a grand worth of TB's is not a trivial issue, and using the internet to do the crime makes it worse....

OK, lets for a moment make a few assumptions. First, that the FBI would take you seriously. Second, that they would agree with your spin that keeping a TB that you found in a cache is a crime. Third, that the value of all of these TBs could be documented to be over $1000.

The fact is, this isn't like someone went to the mall and swiped a stereo worth $1000. It is more like a kid who steals a candy bar whenever he's at the store. To get any worthy judgement, you would have to try him for each theft.

Personally, I don't see the feds (or anyone else) having 150 trials for $6 petty theft cases. This is especially true when there is such a strong possibility of losing these cases as exists here.

Therefore, lets stop threatening to send this guy to jail. That is not likely to happen.

Why bother the authorities?? If the guy returns them good, We forgotten these TB's already its not like someone stole your cat, and called you up and said he was going to return it. these are drop and forget TB's worth nothing after you purchased them. Now if it were a well stocked Ammo can, i might get peed, but a TB come on . :unsure: If you doesnt return them so what, theres plenty more to be made. Oh yeh, if these TB's are reserected do they come off the TB gravesite cache page ??

Is there a list of the TBs that he has?

Yes and here it is. Thanks for asking ;)

Thanks for posting the TB list. I have a TB that is coming home and it is stuck in Colorado. A few cachers have visited the cache but my bug never moved. I got scared when I read this post. I checked the list and mine is not listed....hopefully it is okay and just waiting to hitch a ride home. :unsure:

...I have a TB that is coming home and it is stuck in Colorado. A few cachers have visited the cache but my bug never moved. I got scared when I read this post. I checked the list and mine is not listed....hopefully it is okay and just waiting to hitch a ride home. :unsure:

Funny. I lost one some time ago 1000 miles away from Colorado and checked the list hoping that it was there. I guess I need the closure.

Shouldn't this thread be in the TB forum? ;)

Well, I got one of the emails, too. He has one of mine. Or rather, he has the TAG for it. My "take my wife, please!" TB was in a cache that was trashed, goods scattered to the winds. The actual TB was found nearby but with the tag missing. A local cacher found it and sent it back to me, sans tag. At least I have the bug, but...

:unsure::D

;) I'm sorry but this is just too funny. :D Let me get this straight...you had a "Take My Wife Please" TB...the tag was removed but the TB was returned...right? So they took the tag and returned your wife? :anibad::D:smile::D;)

That is funny! :unsure:

. . . We forgotten these TB's already its not like someone stole your cat, and called you up and said he was going to return it. these are drop and forget TB's worth nothing after you purchased them. Now if it were a well stocked Ammo can, i might get peed, but a TB come on . ;)  If you doesnt return them so what, theres plenty more to be made . . .

:D:D:anibad: I haven't forgotten my TB. He got picked up, logged, and then nothing . . . :smile:

I worried about him until I was able to confirm his whereabouts yesterday.

If I was going to "forget" about him after I put him in a cache, I woudn't have spent the money on him in the first place (about $10.00 total), or written about him in my blog. ;)

:D Oh . . . you were joking . . . weren't you . . . ?

:D:D:unsure:

I dunno?

If I were this guy and had finally developed a conscience about what I had done and wanted to make ammends.

After reading all these post about FBI prosecution, and other cachers wanting to do me harm,

I wouldn't come within 50 miles of this place now!!! ;):D

And all those TB would be placed in the closest landfield!!

Come on guys!!

The guy came foward on his own.

Why not give him a chance before you all string him up!! :anibad:

This sure ain't showing a good side of Geocachers at all!! :smile:;):D

D-man :D

Maybe, but this guy destroyed the "hopes and dreams" of the owners of "156 vicarious travelers" and some of us are a bit touchy about that. :unsure:

If this guy was actually remorseful, he could have just dropped the TBs off in one or two large ammo-can caches -- since he seems to be very good at finding caches, that shouldn't have been a problem -- and emailed the caches' owners from an anonymous email account letting them know.

Instead, he comes to the site and claims his "prize" by logging all the TBs he has in his possession. Why should any of us be "nice" to someone like this? ;)

Chances are the police and/or FBI wouldn't want anything to do with this.

Somebody once posted about contacting police about a stolen cache.

I think I remember the person saying that when you put your cache out on public land, for anyone to see, than it's not really your property anymore, and so it can't be "stolen." I dunno, if that's exactly how the law works, but I doubt any agency will take you seriously.

I'd suggest stepping away, taking a nice breath or two, and waiting a couple days, maybe they'll mysteriously pop up somewhere...

One stolen cache vs. 156 stolen TBs is a bit different. :unsure:

And, let's just hope this is the only thing this person has a habit of stealing . . .

I'm still hoping Remorser is truly remoseful and all the TBs get back to their travels.

Chances are the police and/or FBI wouldn't want anything to do with this.

Somebody once posted about contacting police about a stolen cache.

I think I remember the person saying that when you put your cache out on public land, for anyone to see, than it's not really your property anymore, and so it can't be "stolen."  I dunno, if that's exactly how the law works, but I doubt any agency will take you seriously.

I'd suggest stepping away, taking a nice breath or two, and waiting a couple days, maybe they'll mysteriously pop up somewhere...

I agree with K-9. Let's just see how it plays out.

edit (darned spelling anyway)

Edited by zoltig

Something like this happened about a year ago and I think it turned out to be a hoax.

Back then, one of our caches had a few No Finds. We checked it, couldn't find it and marked it temporarily disabled. Shortly thereafter a new cacher appeared. This person claimed to have stolen a bunch of caches and one of them was our missing cache.

We suspected that it wasn't really this guy who'd taken ours. He was supposedly hundreds of miles away in another state.

Funny thing was, when we went back to replace our cache box with a new one, we found the old box, close to where it should have been, just hidden very very well. It was probably there the whole time.

I think the person just decided to claim a bunch of disabled caches to see what we'd do and maybe this bug grabber has done the same thing.

:D I'm sorry but this is just too funny. :anibad: Let me get this straight...you had a "Take My Wife Please" TB...the tag was removed but the TB was returned...right? So they took the tag and returned your wife? ;);):smile::D:unsure:

yeah, ironic isn't it? They keep bringing her back!

Can anyone confirm that he physically has the bugs? It would probably be pretty easy to go through the TB gallery and find bugs where the tracking number is visible and falsely claim the bug.

Perhaps it's time for a bug dispersion event.

Jamie

He has our Boise Idaho Taxi Racer TB, and a TB that belongs to Grampapa from the panhandle of Idaho.

Obviously a desperate attempt to get some attention (hoax or not). The fellow (lady? why are we assuming it's a guy? I know a couple of klepto women.) probably didn't get hugged enough.

If nothing else, you have to give the guy some credit for wasting hours of his life typing in TB code after TB code after TB code after TB code after TB code after...

Edited by A^2
I'm trying to decide if this was tongue in cheek, however I have a feeling that would be along the lines of "Hello, FBI? My cat ran away, can you send over Scully?"

If the cat runs across a state line, yes. Otherwise, its a matter for the local police only. :huh:

When the window in my rig was shot out. I got a "do you need a copy of the report for insurance" for a responce. When neighborhoods of windows were shot out in a nearby city, the police were much more interested in solving the problem.

A single cache may be laughabe in the greater scheme of things. But there is a point where they should help solve the problem.

Many messages to this thread make the posters look angry and vindictive. If someone apologises for their actions, asks to be forgiven and says they will soon make amends, and is in turn, attacked and vilified, the outcome is not likely to be good.

Many messages to this thread make the posters look angry and vindictive. If someone apologises for their actions, asks to be forgiven and says they will soon make amends, and is in turn, attacked and vilified, the outcome is not likely to be good.

Geocachers would be forgiving. Frustrations show up in the thread. Where else can you vent?

Maybe, but this guy destroyed the "hopes and dreams" of the owners of "156 vicarious travelers" and some of us are a bit touchy about that. :huh:

You really have to make it clear when you're makingthese jokes, someone may take it seriously.

If I was this guy (and I never would steal TBs or however it happened) I would be sitting back laughing my cache off right now at this thread. We all are feeding him what he wants, ATTENTION...think what would happen if one of us just popped up with a load of bugs and no finds....the same thing that is going on here.

I can understand people being upset I would be to, but just sit back and wait to see what happens for now

Hi!

If you are the guy with all those TB's and you happen to be reading these forums, we would love it if you could drop'em off at the cache of your choice and convenience sometime soon.

Thanks!

*crossing fingers, hoping to find cache with a few dozen TB's to log*

Just a reminder ... that this person just posted that he had them on 4/30...but she/he has another name out there otherwise how would he know where the caches and the TBs are.

I just hope that he sends them on their way when he is ready to.

stew e :anicute:

Wasn't there a retired couple who planted caches in the Denver metro area and they ended up missing? Couldnt those TB's been part of that raid? hmmmmm?

Yes, These belonged to great couple that spent a lot of time and effort in building some of the caches found around here named Mon & Pop. We have been having a major problem with caches going missing here in Colorado. I had one go missing last week and after reading this thread I wonder if this guy is a copy cat or he is the Colorado Cache Thief.

Wasn't there a retired couple who planted caches in the Denver metro area and they ended up missing? Couldnt those TB's been part of that raid? hmmmmm?

Yes, These belonged to great couple that spent a lot of time and effort in building some of the caches found around here named Mon & Pop. We have been having a major problem with caches going missing here in Colorado. I had one go missing last week and after reading this thread I wonder if this guy is a copy cat or he is the Colorado Cache Thief.

Yeah, I was having the same thought as you ss52.

Just a reminder ... that this person just posted that he had them on 4/30...but she/he has another name out there otherwise how would he know where the caches and the TBs are.

Stew E makes a very good point. This person appears to have been very efficient in operating with a geocaching identity that we're not aware of - may still be doing so - and only created 'remorser' on 4/30. While this person obviously has not been the only one responsible for vandalizing geocaches in Colorado (especially the Denver area) one would like to think that, if they're truly remorseful, a sign might be (underescore might) a decrease in the frequency of cache trashing. Hard to quantitate that.

Stew E makes a very good point. This person appears to have been very efficient in operating with a geocaching identity that we're not aware of - may still be doing so - and only created 'remorser' on 4/30. While this person obviously has not been the only one responsible for vandalizing geocaches in Colorado (especially the Denver area) one would like to think that, if they're truly remorseful, a sign might be (underescore might) a decrease in the frequency of cache trashing. Hard to quantitate that.

You don't have to have an identity to see the caches only to log them. If you look at the logs for the caches that were hit, he didn't log them. Being a member like us does make it easier to see when new caches & TB's are place in the area. Try loging off your user name then search for caches by zip code. You'll see a list of caches.

You don't have to have an identity to see the caches only to log them. If you look at the logs for the caches that were hit, he didn't log them. Being a member like us does make it easier to see when new caches & TB's are place in the area. Try loging off your user name then search for caches by zip code. You'll see a list of caches.

You're right. I'm so used to working with the information (e.g., mapping options)available after logging in I'd forgotton about the 'just looking' option.

I am glad I stumbled upon this thread. I felt bad after Aspen got muggled immediately after I placed Eagle One TB in it. The TB went missing along with the cache, & I worried that I had been seen by a non-player while logging. I even started a thread about it. I did not wish to think the worst, but as AtoZ pointed out in a thread reply, a player might have trashed it, and it appears that that is the case - sure enough Remorser has the TB now.

Edited by Team Wazonmadiapah

Place a bait cache with a few TB's in it in an area that can be "bugged" (pardon the pun) with a camera on an infrared trigger so it will snap photo's of whomever approaches it. if the cam catches images of the guy vandalizing or stealing TB's then you have proof he is behind both of the hanous crimes & technically he can be busted but only if he's breaking an actual law & I don't think there are any laws on the books pertaining specifically to this type of behavior in relation to caching.

and that's my Cdn.$0.02 worth!

I do beleive a cache left on public land is legally considered abandoned property. So even if you knew exactly who this guy is, nothing legally can be done about it.

Who says we're going to do something legal to him? :huh:

:ph34r::ph34r: LOL! Really though, think about how cool it would be if he really did release all these bugs. It would be like a Christmas Miracle. OK maybe not, but finding a Geocache full of TBs would be awesome! I say good on him if he has seen the error of his ways and wants to release these back into the wild. It would truly be a day of celebration to witness someone seeing the light and atoning for what they have done. Granted he couldn’t take away all the hurt caused by a stolen bug or trashed cache, but as others have stated, that is part of the game. It’s part of what makes Geocaching great; the honor among us, and the trust we share. One has fallen but it’s not too late and I for one will be impressed if he can make the leap of understanding and generosity and release those bugs. I guess time will tell…stay tuned.

*EDIT for bad grammar*

Edited by Lostby7

I would have to give the person respect for making such a turnaround, and being noble and mature enough to fix this issue the correct way - by putting back all of the TBs.

But I don't predict this will happen.. please prove me wrong Mr or Ms. TBAbductor.

Edited by Marcie/Eric

I can understand that people get upset about their bug getting stolen, but isn't that the cost of doing business?

Also, it is apparent this person is looking for attention, and that is just what we are doing--we are giving it to him/her.

I have posted a note to the Fart Bob TB page. It reads:

Remorser,

I hope you mean what you say and will release the travel bugs as you have promised. A lot of people have put time and effort into obtaining, creating, posting, and placing those travel bugs to see how far and wide they can reach. It's a game, it's for fun. If you would please, send the travel bugs back out if they are indeed in your possession, we will appreciate it, no questions asked. No harm, no foul. If it's a joke, and you are just playing around, let us know that the travel bugs are not in your possession, you can e-mail me alone through the geocaching.com website and explain. This type of thing has happened in the past, and the geocaching community does not see the humor in it.

Thank you,

Eartha

The Groundspeak Travel Bug Forum Moderator

Now, please stop feeding the trolls.