Correct Co-ordinates

theprospectors

I'm new to the benchmarking game and did my first two finds this week. Finding them was easy using the information posted but I noticed that the lat/long was off by several hundred feet.

Should I post the updated lat/long based on the gps readings on my find notes or would that be considered "spoiling" the search for someone else. I'm not too sure on the etiquette here.

Yours aye,

The Prospectors

Prospectors -

For benchmarks with "SCALED" coordinates , please include your handheld's coordinates in your comments. It's not mandatory, but certainly welcome. For marks where "... location is SCALED", the published coordinates may be up to 600 feet off from the actual location. The usual difference is more like 100-150 feet, however.

For marks where "... location is ADJUSTED", the published coordinates are usually within a few centimeters of the actual location. If your handheld shows a deviation of more than 20 feet from the coordinates at an "ADJUSTED" mark, the error is more likely due to poor sky conditions, powerlines, low batteries, etc. Don't bother to post your handheld's reading for marks with ADJUSTED coordinates (unless they are way off and you suspect that the datasheet is in error. Possible, but not common.) If your handheld is way off from the coordinates for a mark with ADJUSTED coordinates, it is more likely than not that you are, in fact, not at the described benchmark.

Good start for a benchmark hunting newbie.

Will

Edited by seventhings

The two marks you found (LX2846 and LX2848) were:

ALTITUDE ADJUSTED

LOCATION SCALED

As noted by the other responders, your GPS reading would be helpful to others.

When the data sheet says:

LOCATION ADJUSTED

the data sheet probably is correct.

In addition to photographing the disk, back away a few feet and shoot the immediate area, also. This sometimes assists others in reproducing your find.

By the way, I'm glad you recognized the hazard of parking along the highway. Be careful out there! Remember, this is only a hobby. :grin:

-Paul-

Edited by PFF

Prospectors,

If you like, you could post with the PID of the station marks that you found, and we can look at the datasheets and guide you toward understanding what there is to be known about the stations YOU found. Then it is specific to your situation and not just a generic overview. It helps us all to relate to the situation rather than generalizing without anything specific to relate it to. We can give you better more specific answers that relate directly to your experience this way. We could even post the datasheet here and sort of tear it apart and explain it to you.

Are you Game?

We'll all be here...

Rob