Software Or Paper And Protractor

sladeb

I am wanting to use a topo paper map or some type of reasonably priced software to make waypoints for trail I have not hiked yet. I have a book "GPS Made Easy" that tells how to use Maptech's 200 dollar program to make waypoints along the trail depicted on the map and then upload them to a GPS for use as a premade trail. This is very interesting and I would even be interested in doing this the old fashion way with a topo map and protractor.

Anyone have any advise?

thanks

Slade

Edited by sladeb

Personally I use Mapsend Topo on my sportrak map, but I also print up a topo map with National Geographic Northeastern USA Topo. I also use a compass so that when, not if, the GPSr decides to take an unscheduled siesta, I can still at least navigate back to my jeep.

You should always carry a compass regardless of what method you use, compasses as a rule tend to not need batteries (unless you went with an electronic compass, which is sort of counterproductive in this case) so they always work.

I also use the Mapsend Topo on my Sportrak Map. But I am looking for something that has trails depicted on it (map or software)so I can transfer them into my gps. I carry a topo map from the State Park where I hike but it does not have Lat Long coordinates on it so it is only good for terrain features. I also carry a compass for backup.

Delorme's Topo USA 5.0 has a number of trails in it. You can't copy the trails into the GPSr as tracks, but the program will let you move them over as point-to-point routes. It works pretty well for dayhikes, but 30 waypoints won't tell you too much about something much longer.

National Geographic Topo has an online track registry where people share their recorded tracks. You can download the tracks into your GPSr. The drawback with NG Topo is that for the most part you have to buy the programs state by state. It works out nicely for local use, but can get expensive for regional or national needs.

What state park are you talking about?

I hike in Central Alabama(Birmingham) at Oak Mountain State Park, for 25 cents you get a topo map with all the trails on them. However there are no Lat Longs on them so I cant mark my on waypoints and then transfer them to my gps unit.

Thanks for the info, I am a little lost with the term GPSr. Could someone help me out?

Global Positioning System receiver (commonly referred to as GPS, but many of us rather snobbishly point out that you're not holding a system in your hand, you're holding a (sniff) receiver. :D

Delorme's Topo USA 5.0 has a number of trails in it.  You can't copy the trails into the GPSr as tracks, but the program will let you move them over as point-to-point routes.  It works pretty well for dayhikes, but 30 waypoints won't tell you too much about something much longer.

National Geographic Topo has an online track registry where people share their recorded tracks.  You can download the tracks into your GPSr.  The drawback with NG Topo is that for the most part you have to buy the programs state by state.  It works out nicely for local use, but can get expensive for regional or national needs.

Would my Sportrak be supported with the NG Topo! software? I know that the Meridian and Sportrak share some of the same cables and things. I would think if one is compatable then so should the other.

Edited by sladeb

National Geographic Topo has most of the Oak Mtn trails and other Alabama trails already marked out for your GPS. site

However, you have to buy their state topo map for AL which costs $100 maybe less if you shop it around. Of course once you have their maps, you have all of the 24K topo quad maps for the entire state.

Files created with TOPO! Alabama and TOPO! SYNC USA

Point Rock Trail

LocalHikes.Com, 07/21/03

Hikers, Dogs

sipsey-tr200

LocalHikes.Com, 07/21/03

Hikers, Dogs

Sipsey tr 202

LocalHikes.Com, 07/21/03

Hikers, Dogs

Files created with TOPO! Alabama only

- Indicates file that requires TOPO! version 3.0 or higher to view. Get the latest upgrade >>

Burritt Nature Trail

LocalHikes.Com, 10/09/03

Hikers

Oak Mtn Yellow Red Loop Hike

LocalHikes.Com, 09/02/03

Hikers, Dogs, Bikes

Cave Creek Trail Cheaha Mountain

LocalHikes.Com, 01/08/04

Hikers

Ruffner Mtn Nature Park Loop Hike

LocalHikes.Com, 09/02/03

Hikers, Dogs