Palm Zire 31

The Saints

I just bought the zire 31, and cache mate. I use easy gps, but will use gsak if I have to. I do not know how to put the information from easy gps or gsak into my zire.

Someone please help me, and when you do talk baby talk with this, because I may not know all the terms and lingo.

Thank you, Scott

It's been so long since I've used EasyGPS that I can't remember if it can generate PDB (Palm DataBase) files, which is what you need to load waypoints into Cachemate. I doubt that it can.

GSAK, on the other hand, definitely can do that, and much, much more. Download and install GSAK (you can try it for free). Get a GPX (not LOC - GPX files have much more information) file from geocaching.com by generating a Pocket Query (which will be emailed to you, usually in a few minutes if you check today as the date to generate it). Save the attached GPX or ZIP file (GSAK doesn't care which) to your hard drive.

Open GSAK and go to File>Load GPX/Loc, navigate to where you saved the file, and click "OK". You will now have all the waypoints from the Pocket Query in GSAK.

Next, decide which ones you want to send to Cachemate (let's assume all for now - if not, there are various ways in GSAK that you can mark or filter the waypoints to select a subset that are beyond this discussion - GSAK has good help files).

Go to File>Export>Cachemate PDB file. Fill in the file name, etc. Be sure to check "Install to Palm after Conversion". GSAK will generate the file and automatically put it in the Palm Install tool.

Hotsync your Zire, and you're in business!!

Edit: If you continue to use GSAK, please register it. Clyde England, the GSAK author, continually updates it and provides user support through a forum here at geocaching.com (click here to view the current GSAK forum). It's worth much more than the $20 Clyde charges!

Edited by Kai Team

If you are just downloading caches from Web site, you just click the download button out on the far right side of the cache listing and it downloads it to your easy gps file. Next you open up your easy gps and select the caches and upload them to your gps. Before you upload to your gps you have to set it up to do so. It walks you through it.

If you are getting pocket queries and want to get them on your palm all you do is unzip the pocket querie and it will save it where you want it. I save mine to a file I created and titled Geocaching. Next you open up Cachemate and select File Converter and select CM convert. You then select a file to convert. The file you just unzipped. Then select all and then Convert. Then it will tell you that the next time you Hot Sync it will put that on your palm. Pretty simple. Good luck.

Edited by blocko1000

Pocket Queries Files are E-Mailed to you from Geocaching (You can order two kinds of files, GPX and MobiReader)

Click on the GPX file and it loads to EasyGPS, then transfer to your GPS.

Cachemate's CMConverter takes the GPX file and converts it to a format that can be used on a PDA (Palm) then hotsync to PDA

(go to http:www.smittyware.com and find the Maryland Cache page and read and follow instructions)

MobiReader loades straight to MobiReader (Don't waste your time with it)

Uncle TK

Edited by Uncle T K