Caching In China

Team GPSaxophone

Apparantly I'm not allowed to tell you why I'm going to be in China or that the reason we're going is how I came up with my geocaching team name 3 years ago. However, we are planning a trip to China with a certain amount of other people for a large event. Unfortunately I can't tell you how many others there will be or what event it is because it doesn't relate to geocaching enough for certain forum members. :D All I can tell you about our trip is that we will be in Beijing for a week in July 2006. We might also visit Shanghai and Xian and possibly one other city.

If you have any information about caching in China, please share it here.

edit: here's the thread that led to this one being posted

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

seriously, if you do pull this together for a reasonable cost per person, I'd be interested to tag along, although I don't play the sax, but I will help with support logistics if needed...(running a project team here at my work is sometimes described as trying to "herd cats", so I think I can help keep your sax-players rounded up for a photo shoot...)

so, please do keep posting here as the planning for this event proceeds?

just an fyi, I think travel in China is still somwehat restricted for non-nationals, outside of the major tourist destinations. You'll be okay if you're just planning Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, via group tour arrangements. But, it's not like you can just get a Eurail pass and head out to see the country on your own -- they won't let you do that.

The US State dept website posts travel advisories (which are a good idea to heed....), and travel requirements, such as immunizations required to get back into the US after you've been in a foreign country, and whether a given country requires just a passport, or a passport plus visa (I think China requires both). Visas may take some time to apply for and get approved (6 months to a year in some cases, depending on the embassy office you go through), so give yourself plenty of advance planning time. And with a country like China, where travel is restricted, and "additional expenses" are to be expected as routine "cost of doing business" (and it's pretty common practice there), then it really is a good idea to work with an established travel agent, if possible.

this sounds like great fun! I hope it all comes together!

Monimoni, if you're interested in working with the organizers, I can PM you an email address so you can contact them.

The Sax part of the trip will include airfare, lodging, food, and transportation(?) to the rehearsals and the concert. Other travel (for geocaching and other touristy stuff) will be extra. Right now, the price for Sax players is expected to be around $1000 for the one week in Beijing. Adding a second week to visit Shanghai and Xian will probably run $600 or so (based on the previous info I had about this trip). I have no idea how much the trip would be for non-Sax players.

I know of at least one traditional cache NE of Beijing. I wonder how much it would cost for a taxi or other conveyance to get there? There are two caches in Shanghai, one is a multi. They are almost 8 miles apart. There are no caches in the Xi'an area.

Apparantly I'm not allowed to tell you why I'm going to be in China or that the reason we're going is how I came up with my geocaching team name 3 years ago. However, we are planning a trip to China with a certain amount of other people for a large event. Unfortunately I can't tell you how many others there will be or what event it is because it doesn't relate to geocaching enough for certain forum members. :D All I can tell you about our trip is that we will be in Beijing for a week in July 2006. We might also visit Shanghai and Xian and possibly one other city.

Isn't this rather childish behavior for a forum Moderator? Don't you have a Moderator forum where you could spread your angst instead of pointing out problems between you and other forum mods in the open forums? seems like all you are doing is airing moderator problems in front of everyone. Sounds like you need to make a choice. Be a mod and behave and not be a mod and act anyway you want.

Isn't this rather childish behavior for a forum Moderator? Don't you have a Moderator forum where you could spread your angst instead of pointing out problems between you and other forum mods in the open forums? seems like all you are doing is airing moderator problems in front of everyone. Sounds like you need to make a choice. Be a mod and behave and not be a mod and act anyway you want.

This has nothing to do with me being a moderator in the Off Topic forum. Out here, I'm just a regular forum member.

If you can't remain on the topic of geocaching in China, then you're being childish and you should stop. This thread was doing just fine until you came along.

This has nothing to do with me being a moderator in the Off Topic forum. Out here, I'm just a regular forum member.

If you can't remain on the topic of geocaching in China, then you're being childish and you should stop. This thread was doing just fine until you came along.

BTW dont forget. Dont hide any caches in china unless you get a local to watch it for you.

Edited by CO Admin
BTW dont forget. Dont hide any caches in china unless you get a local to watch it for you.

How would I explain the ammo box in my luggage disguised as a brick from the Great Wall? :D

I don't plan on placing any caches over there. Face it, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I won't be able to fly there every few months for cache maintenance.

Now, if we could find a few more locals willing to place caches in my target cities... :D

Don't know about caches, but our antipode (sp?) is there!!!

Swing by, would ya? Looks like there's a road 6 or 7 miles away - no biggie, right? :D

Just kidding on this, by the way. Except the antipode part.

Have a great trip - you're exactly right... it's a once-in-a-lifetime trip for many folks; I trust you'll make the most of it. :D

Monimoni, if you're interested in working with the organizers, I can PM you an email address so you can contact them.

The Sax part of the trip will include airfare, lodging, food, and transportation(?) to the rehearsals and the concert. Other travel (for geocaching and other touristy stuff) will be extra. Right now, the price for Sax players is expected to be around $1000 for the one week in Beijing. Adding a second week to visit Shanghai and Xian will probably run $600 or so (based on the previous info I had about this trip). I have no idea how much the trip would be for non-Sax players.

I know of at least one traditional cache NE of Beijing. I wonder how much it would cost for a taxi or other conveyance to get there? There are two caches in Shanghai, one is a multi. They are almost 8 miles apart. There are no caches in the Xi'an area.

sure, that'd be great, but just so you and I are on the same page - the only reason I'd be volunteering to help the Sax event with planning and pulling off their Sax event, is because it would allow me the opportunity to then also plan to hang out with you and your crew to do some hiking and caching. y'know? If the geocachers (i.e. you all) decide not to participate in this China trip for whatever reason, then I'm probably not going either. so, I don't want to give anyone the wrong impression. so, are you (geocachers) for sure doing this, or when will you make a firm decision, you think?

but, yes, if we have a good idea of where we'd be going, then we should correspond with some folks in China and start "recruiting" some new geocachers over there (both to plant caches apriori, and to maintain the caches after the trip). Probably scope out and start posting to existing webboards, that we're looking for Chinese mainland nationals to work with us on this caching project - someone mentioned a backpacker.com forum in another post - so websites like that? The Chinese universities might be another place (dept of environmental sciences, or tech-related depts?). just thinking out loud here.....

sure, that'd be great, but just so you and I are on the same page - the only reason I'd be volunteering to help the Sax event with planning and pulling off their Sax event, is because it would allow me the opportunity to then also plan to hang out with you and your crew to do some hiking and caching. y'know? If the geocachers (i.e. you all) decide not to participate in this China trip for whatever reason, then I'm probably not going either. so, I don't want to give anyone the wrong impression. so, are you (geocachers) for sure doing this, or when will you make a firm decision, you think?

but, yes, if we have a good idea of where we'd be going, then we should correspond with some folks in China and start "recruiting" some new geocachers over there (both to plant caches apriori, and to maintain the caches after the trip). Probably scope out and start posting to existing webboards, that we're looking for Chinese mainland nationals to work with us on this caching project - someone mentioned a backpacker.com forum in another post - so websites like that? The Chinese universities might be another place (dept of environmental sciences, or tech-related depts?). just thinking out loud here.....

Team GPSaxophone will be going on this trip, and we will attempt to find as many non-virtual caches as possible. I've heard from Webscouter that he and his wife might want to go on the trip too (she plays the sax). I'm sure there are more geocaching sax players out there, so once they find out about the trip we should have a good sized group to go caching with. I haven't heard back from the local cacher I contacted yet, but you're right- we do need to recruit more Chinese cachers. As of now there are only 3 caches near the areas we'll be playing in. I'm hoping there will be at least 10 by next July.

I like ice fishing. Its alot of fun. I went ice fishing several times this winter.

There are just over 60 caches in China

(I mentioned caching in China so this post qualifies as being "on topic")

We've hit all of our "Milestone" caches in different states:

100 New Mexico

200 Arizona

300 Nevada

400 Colorado

500 Nebraska

600 (coming up this summer, probably in Wyoming)

700, 800, 900 will probably be in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas

If we average 32 caches a month for the next year, we can hit #1000 in China!

Since summer is prime caching season, we're going to try for 50 caches a month from now until September. We have 18 finds so far this month, so that's on pace for our 50. A couple of trips to Denver each month should keep us on track (2000 caches within 100 miles of Denver)

With so few caches in China (and even fewer in the areas we're visiting), we'll need to be at 998 (+/- 1) before we leave on our trip. Think we can make it?