This looks like such fun!

Hisdamsel

Saw the article this morning in yesterdays Roanoke Times. I never knew this existed! What fun!

I don't have a GPS yet, but hope to get one either used and inexpensive or possibly as a gift for Christmas.

My husband and I have had an awful year financially due to both of us being out of work at the same time for a good spell. Just yesterday we were thinking of things we could do that wouldn't cost a lot of money but would get us out of the house.

I just spent the last 2 hours researching Geocaching and I have to tell you I AM SO EXCITED!

I have a nephew who is 8 that I am sure is going to think that this is "awesome" as he likes to say!

Ok.. Off to gather things for my first hidden cache... this is going to be so much fun.. hehehe

Welcome! Yes, it is really a blast! I saw an article about geocaching in a local paper, as well, and after the first cache, we were hooked!

An inexpensive GPSr can be purchased new for around $100, and will be more than sufficient for geocaching. Additional features (built-in basemaps, memory for downloading additional maps, electronic compass, etc.) can be had for additional $$, but isn't necessary for geocaching. I started off with a Magellan GPS 315 for just a bit over $100, and it worked great. Have recently upgraded to a SporTrak Pro, and love it, but the 315 was more than capable.

Again, welcome, and good luck!

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing!

I heard about the sport over a year ago, but there were so few caches in our area at the time that I couldn't muster the enthusiasm. Now we have gangs of caches all over the place. It is alot of fun, and if you have young ones, nothing beats a treasure hunt icon_biggrin.gif

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

I share in your excitement. I bought my first GPS less than a month ago and we have done 9 caches. (Mainly on weekends). Sure beats sitting in front of the boob tube hours on end watching make believe shows.

We have seen places we never knew existed and we haven't even left our own town yet. No longer will I live under a rock.. Now I climb over and around them...

GEOCACHING CHANGED MY LIFE - Laugh everyday. Life's too short. But if you have to get mad then that's OK too.

YAY! I think I have convinced my father that this would be a great thing for my nephew to become involved in and he is getting us a GPS (crossing fingers).

He is a gadget guy so it wasnt a hard job! LOL

Emailed Cache Hunter 1 and hopefully will hear back from him.

I AM SO EXCITED!

I already have 2 caches ready for hiding.. hehehehe...

We are looking at a very basic GPS unit, the Garmin Etrex... comments anyone???

Just a suggestion; don't hide any caches untill you've found about 10. That way you will get a much better feel for good/bad hiding places. Before long, you'll start thinking like a geocacher when you get down to that last 20-30 feet (trust me, you'll understand that statement much more once you find a few caches).icon_biggrin.gif

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing!

Magellan "Sportrak" GPS units are on sale at Big 5 sporting goods here in California (central valley in Modesto). I don't know if this is a regional sale or chain wide. The unit is on sale for $149.99 (regular $270) after a $30 rebate. The unit comes with a Data cd, PC cable, and carrying case.

DiverMan

Dive Down, Dive Deep

First, welcome aboard! May all your searchs be finds.

quote:
Originally posted by 4x4van:

Just a suggestion; don't hide any caches untill you've found about 10. That way you will get a much better feel for good/bad hiding places. Before long, you'll start thinking like a geocacher when you get down to that last 20-30 feet (trust me, you'll understand that statement much more once you find a few caches).icon_biggrin.gif

I have to agree with 4X4van here, you will start thinking like a cahcer after a few dozen finds. We've seen a few first time cachers place a cache immeditately with varied results. They may place it in an area without getting permission and it gets confiscated. Or they place it in a high traveled place and it gets plundered. Or (heaven forbid) they lose their enthusiasm and the cache is not maintained or removed.

Don't get us (Bear & Ting) wrong, we love to see new people discover the game, but we also want you to be responsible. Get a few finds under your belt first, starting thinking like a cacher, and your hides will be so much better. Trust us on that one. We have two caches hidden in very high (kids) traffic areas and neither of them have been plundered. We attribute this our experience.

Again, welcome aboard. If you ever get into the central Indiana area, look us up.

Bear & Ting

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

Just thought I would let you know that I / we (took my nephew "Chestnut" with me) and he actually found the cache.

We had a great time and I was right... I can see this becoming a great hobby.

THanks everyone for your help... we got the Garmin Etrex and for what we are doing it seems to work just fine [icon_smile.gif]

Welcome. It is truly fun for the whole family. Our 6 & 11 year old both love to go caching. To them it's treasure hunting icon_biggrin.gif They are not as interested in the micro's as the traditional's (the loot isn't as good), but they do enjoy the hunt.

Congrats on your first find and scoring your first Travel Bug. Be sure to read the TB's page to determine the TB's goal. And then don't hold on to it too long -- it makes the TB owner get a bit antsy.

Again welcome and Happy Caching from GeoTeam Maggi. icon_razz.gif

Minus the window-dressing, geocaching is just an excuse to go hiking. It is really goal-oriented hiking, very much in keeping with the our modern lifestyle - people who wouldn't hike a trail loop 'just because' will do so if there's a tupperware container hidden at the half-way point. I count myself in that number.

That said, it's good exercise and easy on the pocketbook. Try not to bushwack (my weak spot). And waypoint the car. and take a flashlight. and plenty of water. and an energy bar or two. etc, etc, etc.

Same situation here.

I have been out of work for a while and have lost some weight in the gym. I was trying to think of something new and low cost to do to get outside and exercise more.

Saw an article in the local paper in August, went out and bought a GPSr and I am now spending my Saturday mornings geocaching (Sundays are for football). I've gotten to see a lot of nice small parks that I didn't even know existed.

I heard about Geocaching on one of my Homeschool mailing lists today and I have to say I'm sold. My daughter is 6 and loves treasure hunts and solving mysterys, we can't wait to get started! I'm going shopping for a GPS unit tomorrow.

What a wonderful way for a family to have fun together while learning so many things. My thanks to all of you for thinking up this wonderful game/sport.

Welcome to all of you! I am loving it.. but then again I knew I would...

Everyone has been really helpful and the cachers in my area really seem to have a lot of fun. They are planning a breakfast later this month and I can't wait to see and meet them all!

Yesterday, my sister and her boyfriend joined my nephew and I on their first hunt. Her boyfriend says he is going to go and get him a GPS soon and join us.

Spread the word! This is great fun and great exercise.