Go Ahead, Make My Day!

Z15

Worth the effort when you find something others could not...

RL0341 HISTORY - Date Condition Report By

RL0341 HISTORY - 1948 MONUMENTED CGS

RL0341 HISTORY - 1978 MARK NOT FOUND USGS

RL0341 HISTORY - 19970625 MARK NOT FOUND USPSQD

RL0341 HISTORY - 20020613 MARK NOT FOUND USPSQD

RL0341 HISTORY - 20050405 GOOD GEOCAC

Excellent work, Mike! You know, state and national professionals may start to take us seriously! I know we appreciate and benefit from the participation of NGS folks!

I recently assisted the NCGS office by providing them with maps and aerial photos where I predicted they would find some of the lost granite markers on the NC/VA border. They went to the positions and made a lot of recoveries of stones not seen in many decades!

Meanwhile, they gave me the challenge of looking for Monument #35, near Clarksville, VA. A few days later, when I called my contact via cell phone and told him I was at the Monument, there was a long pause, and then he said, "No kidding?" :D

I believe word will get out about geocaching.com/mark, and professionals will start drifting over here to see if we have something to supplement the NGS server. And we have PICTURES! Hopefully, we can maintain our excellent track record and continue to sharpen our skills. Reputations are hard-earned, and are easily lost.

-Paul-

P.S. Here's the report on my recent find for NCGS:

NC-VA STATE LINE MONUMENT #35

Edited by PFF

BuckBrooke,

I found about 800 stations that have been reported not found by all three organizations. In some instances, one or more of the reports state that the station has been destroyed.

There are also a couple of weird recovery reports by the NGS like the following. It looks like in some cases, Deb Brown was filing reports on behalf of the USPSQD, under her own initials, and therefore under the NGS organization code.

NF0883 HISTORY - Date Condition Report By

NF0883 HISTORY - 1948 MONUMENTED CGS

NF0883 HISTORY - 1965 MARK NOT FOUND USGS

NF0883 HISTORY - 19991009 MARK NOT FOUND USPSQD

NF0883 HISTORY - 20010808 MARK NOT FOUND NGS

NF0883

NF0883 STATION DESCRIPTION

NF0883

NF0883'DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1948

NF0883'1.3 MI W FROM ALASKA.

NF0883'ABOUT 1.3 MILES WEST ALONG 68TH STREET SE FROM THE BAPTIST CHURCH

NF0883'AT ALASKA, AT THE JUNCTION OF CHERRY VALLEY AVENUE SE LEADING

NF0883'SOUTH, ABOUT 0.25 MILE WEST OF EGAN AVENUE SE LEADING NORTH,

NF0883'91 FEET SOUTHEAST OF THE CENTER OF THE JUNCTION, 47 FEET SOUTH

NF0883'OF A FENCE CORNER, 32 FEET EAST OF THE CENTER LINE OF CHERRY

NF0883'VALLEY AVENUE SE, 22 FEET SOUTHEAST OF TELEPHONE POLE NO. 317,

NF0883'1 FOOT WEST OF A FENCE LINE, 1 FOOT SOUTH OF A WHITE WOODEN

NF0883'WITNESS POST, 2 FEET ABOVE THE JUNCTION AND SET IN THE TOP

NF0883'OF A CONCRETE POST PROJECTING 3 INCHES.

NF0883

NF0883 STATION RECOVERY (1965)

NF0883

NF0883'RECOVERY NOTE BY US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY 1965

NF0883'MARK NOT FOUND.

NF0883

NF0883 STATION RECOVERY (1999)

NF0883

NF0883'RECOVERY NOTE BY US POWER SQUADRON 1999

NF0883'MARK NOT FOUND.

NF0883

NF0883 STATION RECOVERY (2001)

NF0883

NF0883'RECOVERY NOTE BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 2001 (DB)

NF0883'THIS REPORT WAS SUBMITTED BY THE US POWER SQUADRONS.

Edited by holograph

Yes, I have noticed those Power Squadon recoveries too. It pays to read the entire datasheet before making a decision. However, while I consider the USPSQD Not Found recoveries to be a higher probability of finding, I have located enough from other agencies that I will never pass one by without taking a hard look.

holograph, you must have missed something. There's no triple NOT FOUND challenge marks in New Mexico. *sigh*

It looks like most of the marks are in cities, and probably victims of construction. Would it be just as easy to create a double NOT FOUND challenge list, pick two of the three (NGS, USGS, USPSD)?

Very cool!

Edited by BuckBrooke

Buckbrooke, how the heck did you manage to find the list within minutes of my posting it to the website, before I posted the announcement here? You guys are beginning to scare me... ;)

edit:

I think the list of doubly not found stations would be big. I may take a look at it, but believe it or not, I actually DO have a job, which I should be doing right now... :ph34r:

Edited by holograph

Which begs the question, how many marks have been NOT FOUND by other groups, then FOUND by USPSQD, some of which are the marks people have been taking pride in finding?

Or a more muddied question, how many were found by other groups, then NOT FOUND by USPSQD? This would have to take into account length of time between recovery/not recovery...maybe 20 years?

Edited by BuckBrooke

Buck,

We do have to keep in mind a few things, perspectively speaking.

The USPSQDN is a volunteer organization and they are performing a public service just like Geocachers. They are not paid, nor are they professionals when it comes to Survey Markers.

They do have a program where they help out the OS, National Ocean Service by reporting changes to Buoys and water hazards. Since NGS is a sort of division in the NOS, they get the survey markers reported too as a public service, and have for over 30 years.

It really does us no good to put a sharp stick in their eye.

Going beyond that, this is a national organization who is comprised of people who own boats, Big Boats. Think Yacht Club if you will. If you have ever lived near the water, then you know what kind of pull a Yacht Club can have in a Community due to the political power of it's affluent members and the way it works in the community.

The USPSQDN has a National Board and Officers and they actually have National Political power in that they Lobby for Boaters rights and privileges and have moneys to support the causes they like. In other words, they are highly organized. Some of their members are friends of people in high places, maybe even are people in high places and so you see where the hidden connections could be and what the hidden ramifications of not showing appreciation could do.

I am sure none of them really care much If we quietly go about the business of correcting mistakes when we find they have made one, but we would be best off if we leave it at that level. We are not the new Sheriff in town, Just another set of eyes! :-) We know they do not always get it right but that is just our challenge to try to resolve, It does not have to be a good deed done in public, by letting our pride well up a bit too far. After all, some things are better left unsaid. :-)

Rob

*stick in the eye* ;)

Seriously, much of what you've commented is true and intrinsic to this board. Some ideas are good, like most of holograph's. Some are not so good to bad, and get discussed. I'll let ya'll provide the commentary.

Edited by BuckBrooke