"mystery" Caches?

Hoppingcrow

I've found two, didn't notice anything particularly mysterious about either of them, other than wondering what the question mark signifies.

I agree. I've run into some in my area where the only thing mysterious was why it wasn't called a regular cache.

Edited to add:

In one case I asked the owner why it way a mystery cache and got no reply.

Edited by Thot

From the guidelines: "The only commonality of this cache type is that the coordinates listed are not of the actual cache location but a general reference point, such as a nearby parking location. "

Yes, it is usually a puzzle cache, which causes confusion on mystery caches that are not puzzles. One of my caches is a mystery cache, and on several on-line logs I got a "sheesh, this feels like a multi." They didn't get a "puzzle," so hence it must be a multi. :D

There may be a couple of reasons why you didn't see much difference on the mystery caches you visited. On my mystery, I have a back-up for cachers to solve the cache in case the actual clue gets muggled or disturbed, and it is in a muggle high-traffic area, so this happens quite a bit. That way I don't have to disable the cache on and off, I just modify directions on the page. When the cache is in "back-up" mode, it certainly feels more like a multi, but really still isn't a "true" multi since the posted coordinates won't get the cacher anywhere near the cache or the first "point" for the multi, they are truly just a "reference" point. Hence, the designation as a multi...

Edited by Jeep_Dog
Looking at the two mystery cache that you have done by NWClimber he has MISLABLED them they are NOT mystery caches persay. A mystery cache has some aspect of it you have to figure out as part of doing the cache.

cheers

Def mislabeled. Those should have both been regulars.

Looking at the two mystery cache that you have done by NWClimber he has MISLABLED them they are NOT mystery caches persay.  A mystery cache has some aspect of it you have to figure out as part of doing the cache.

cheers

Looking at the cache descriptions I agree that this is highly probable. However, we don't really know for certain if we haven't visited the cache. It is possible the posted coordinates are not the location of the cache and not a true multi, either. I did notice on one of the caches a new cacher stated the "cache is not at the posted coordinates." That could indicate there is more to the cache than meets the eye in reading the description. Doubtful, but possible anyhow, that's why I stuck to answering the OP's question using the cache guidelines as to what constitutes a mystery cache as opposed to commenting on the caches in question.

Edited by Jeep_Dog
It is possible the posted coordinates are not the location of the cache . . .

A cache I consider one of the more interesting I've done was not at the posted coordinates and the cache sheet did not explain that. It was before I knew what I was doing to I had no preconceived ideas about what to expect, so I was open to anything and able to solve it. Today I might not have solved it because I would expect it to say if the posted coordinates were meaningless.