using pocket queries with no PDA

Cacheola Crew

I'm trying to figure out how to best use Pocket queries, as I do not have a PDA.

I ran one for an area we will be visiting next weekend and it printed out on paper, but they are all in alphabetical order, not in distance order. I also can't tell which are virtual and which are traditional on the sheet. Basically, I get the name and the coordinates and that is it.

I want to also do some caches along the way. I read Markwell's FAQ on this, but I do not have mapsource streets and trips.

Is there a simple way for non-techno people to plan to cache along the way. I spent a while just trying to click on the map, but navigating that was pretty slow going.

-J-

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geocaching-HamptonRoadsVA/join

"You have brains in your head; You have feet in your shoes.

You can steer yourself any direction you choose.

You're on your own. And you know what you know.

And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...."

Dr. Seuss

Thanks, I downloaded the Watcher and I got a print out list and put it in order of distance from my central point. This is great.

I'm not sure how to use the Quakemap. Now that I have the GPX file, what d you mean by "drop it in"?

I'm not real computer literate.

Janine

Cacheola Crew Mom

Dr. Seuss

I'm not sure if I'm expecting too much, or if I'm just not getting it, but I've been trying for hours to figure out how to download caches along the route.

Here's what I ended up doing.

Clicked on the state map, panned along my route, hit "identify" on all close caches and then I wrote them down.

After I wrote them down, I then went into hide and seek a cache and found them and checked their boxes to download the waypoint of those I wanted. However, since there was more than one page to check boxes on, I had to save each page of checks under a different name.

Now that I have the many many Easy GPS files with the waypoints, I guess I have to download them into the GPS that way.

----------

Prior to doing that, I was hoping I could load them into the GPS from the Pocket Query program, but it doesn't seem that I can delete ones I don't want when I use the watcher program. Also, can you download to the GPS from the watcher program, or is that strictly for lists. I didn't see anything on the menu.

I've got to get some sleep. I'm going to be seeing waypoints in my dreams. What a frustrating process it has been.

-J-

Dr. Seuss

Spinner is the way to go. If you have pc mapping software that can receive waypoints from your GPS, even better.

http://members.cox.net/dmbleess/geocache/benchmarks.htm

The PDA just saves you from killing trees. icon_smile.gif You'll see what I mean if you start printing a lot of cache pages. You usually can at least set up your printer output for "4 pages to a page" layout if you get tired of lugging the paper.

SA / PP-ASEL-I / Yahoo "SphinxXXVII" / ICQ 1916574