Stand Up For Geo-caching

Mad Cat

:laughing::P Government and law enforement anti-fun people want to know who ARE THESE mysterious hoodlums wandering around at night in the woods, coming out with Mctoys and bags of trash. Who are these persons calling us muggles, and having a secret web site of secret locations where they hide secret stuff. Oh My ! its "US".

ARE YOU A MEMBER OF THE GEOCACHING COMMUNITY ????

"STAND UP BE RECOGNIZED BECAUSE WE ARE GOLD"

JUST DROP YOUR NICKNAME AND AVATAR HERE.

As someone who works with law enforcement I would like to say that most officers aren't out to kill you fun. The ones who stop you in the middle of the night are checking out what you are doing. That is there job. If your geocaching in the middle of the night I would expect to be stopped from time to time. Esp if someone calls in a suspicious person. Just explain what you are doing and you should be fine as long as you don't reply with an attitude.

As someone who works with law enforcement I would like to say that most officers aren't out to kill you fun. The ones who stop you in the middle of the night are checking out what you are doing. That is there job. If your geocaching in the middle of the night I would expect to be stopped from time to time. Esp if someone calls in a suspicious person. Just explain what you are doing and you should be fine as long as you don't reply with an attitude.

Think Mad dude is talking about the Bill right now in SC

Well as an LEO I'm going to add a few comments. First off I love this sport, er hobby, ok addiction might be a better term. I've never had any problems, but then again I'm a part of that sacred brotherhood. I occasionally patrol by known cache sites just to see if anyone is visiting, or muggling them. Caches have the habit of being put in remote locations so as not to be found. These same remote locations are known to be used by drug users, dealers, college party addicts, and occasionally you may find people "parking".

Should you worry about this, should you stop geocaching? Absolutely not. All cachers are going to have to deal with muggles, just use common sense. Now on to these nasty LEO's, like me, hehe. If you encounter any law enforcement officials explain what you're doing. Chances are they will ask you a few questions and then let you go on your way, as long as you are doing anything criminal, and your vehicle is up to the legal requirement par. Be polite and you should recieve the same treatment. If you are approached at a remote location don't be surprised if they ask if you have any illegal substance (drugs), or possibly ask to search your vehicle looking for them. I can't tell you how many times I've approached vehicles on back roads in spots that I have a suspicion of drug activity. These officers know that not everyone is a user/dealer, but questions need to be asked to find out the difference. Don't take it personal, you and the cache owner might not know that in the last month the officer talking to you made a couple drug arrests on the same back road that you are caching on.

In the same perspective, If you find some signs of illegal activity(other than common liter), report it. In Pennsylvania DCNR permission is needed to place caches on State Forest land. Almost all of the DCNR LEO's know about this sport, and they support it because of the CITO efforts of the cachers. To wrap this up, as long as you are not doing anything illegal while you are caching, you should be fine.

I added the following using a complaint generator I found through the forums (Scott Pakin's automatic complaint-letter generator)...it's just the thing for ranting when you just don't have the time or are strapped for angst :(:blink:

As much as I enjoy writing letter after letter about People making geocaching less fun, the fact remains that there is no compelling moral or economic reason why People making geocaching less fun should destroy the lives of good, honest people. Before examining the present situation, however, it is important that I improve the physical and spiritual quality of life for the population at present and for those yet to come. Daily, the truth is being impressed upon us that People making geocaching less fun likes to mortgage away our future. Such activity can flourish only in the dark, however. If you drag it into the open, People making geocaching less fun and its secret agents will run for cover, like cockroaches in a dirty kitchen when the light is turned on suddenly during the night. That's why we must argue about People making geocaching less fun's fairy tales. The problem, as I see it, is not a question of who the election-year also-rans of this society are, but rather that People making geocaching less fun wants me to stop trying to straighten out its thinking. Instead, it'd rather I become increasingly frustrated, humiliated and angry. Sorry, but I don't accept defeat that easily.

The important point here is not that People making geocaching less fun's teachings are indistinguishable from the ones it condemns. The vital matter is that People making geocaching less fun constantly insists that we're supposed to shut up and smile when it says superstitious things. But it contradicts itself when it says that people are pawns to be used and manipulated. People making geocaching less fun likes memoranda that redefine unbridled self-indulgence as a virtue, as the ultimate test of personal freedom. Could there be a conflict of interest there? If you were to ask me, I'd say that there is something patently anal-retentive in the notion that anyone who disagrees with it is ultimately revolting. Now that's a rather crude and simplistic statement, and, in many cases, it may not even be literally true. But there is a sense in which it is generally true, a sense in which it sincerely expresses how it may clear-cut ancient forest lands right after it reads this letter. Let it. One day, I will provide some balance to People making geocaching less fun's one-sided activities.

People making geocaching less fun's collaborators will carry the product of its work into the future, even after People making geocaching less fun itself is long gone. Period, finis, and Q.E.D. If I may be so bold, People making geocaching less fun periodically puts up a facade of reform. However, underneath the pretty surface, it's always business as usual. The problem is, if you look back over some of my older letters, you'll see that I predicted that People making geocaching less fun would commit confrontational, in-your-face acts of violence, intimidation, and incivility. And, as I predicted, it did. But you know, that was not a difficult prediction to make. Anyone who has bothered to learn even a little about People making geocaching less fun could have made the same prediction.

The struggle against inarticulate, foul-mouthed flakes must be a struggle against antidisestablishmentarianism, imperialism, and irrationalism, or it is doomed to failure. Just because I understand People making geocaching less fun's perorations doesn't mean I agree with them. When I was younger, I wanted to bear witness to the plain, unvarnished truth. I still want to do that, but now I realize that there's an important difference between me and People making geocaching less fun. Namely, I myself am willing to die for my cause. People making geocaching less fun, in contrast, is willing to kill for its -- or, if not to kill, at least to usher in the beginning of a jaded new era of elitism.

People making geocaching less fun wants us to feel sorry for the disaffected, illaudable loan sharks who erode constitutional principles that have shaped our society and remain at the core of our freedom and liberty. I feel we should instead feel sorry for their victims, all of whom know full well that I have a dream, a mission, a set path that I would like to travel down. Specifically, my goal is to dole out acerbic criticism of People making geocaching less fun and its phalanx of invidious compeers. Of course, there is a proper place in life for hatred. Hatred of that which is wrong is a powerful and valuable tool. But when People making geocaching less fun perverts hatred in order to glorify the things that everyone else execrates, it becomes clear that what I just wrote is not based on merely a single experience or anecdote. Rather, it is based upon the wisdom of accumulated years, spanning two continents, and proven by the fact that if I were elected Ruler of the World, my first act of business would be to drive off and disperse the besotted, devious clunks who bring ugliness and nastiness into our lives. I would further use my position to inform certain segments of the Earth's population that if People making geocaching less fun were paying attention -- which it would seem it is not, as I've already gone over this -- it'd see that its practices are a load of bunk. I use this delightfully pejorative term, "bunk" -- an alternative from the same page of my criminal-slang lexicon would serve just as well -- because even when it isn't lying, it's using facts, emphasizing facts, bearing down on facts, sliding off facts, quietly ignoring facts, and, above all, interpreting facts in a way that will enable it to popularize a genre of music whose graphic lyrics explicitly urge inimical rubes to hoodoo us. If you agree, read on. People making geocaching less fun asserts that no one is smart enough to see through its transparent lies. Most reasonable people, however, recognize such assertions as nothing more than baseless, if wishful, claims unsupported by concrete evidence.

I want nothing more -- or less -- than to avoid the extremes of a pessimistic naturalism and an optimistic humanism by combining the truths of both. To that task I have consecrated my life, and I invite you to do likewise. Unforgiving braggarts serve as the priests in People making geocaching less fun's cult of ribald pessimism. These "priests" spend their days basking in People making geocaching less fun's reflected glory, pausing only when People making geocaching less fun instructs them to impose a one-size-fits-all model on how society should function. What could be more oppressive? The only clear answer to emerge from the conflicting, contradictory stances that it and its adherents take is that violence is a crutch for the depravity that confused knuckle-draggers are capable of.

This state of affairs demands the direct assault on those unscrupulous publicity stunts that seek to traduce and discredit everyone but vicious Huns. There are few certainties in life. I have counted only three: death, taxes, and People making geocaching less fun announcing some contentious thing every few weeks.

The following is a preliminary attempt to establish some criteria for discussion of these complex issues. To begin with, you might have heard the story that People making geocaching less fun once agreed to help us help you reflect and reexamine your views on People making geocaching less fun. No one has located the document in which People making geocaching less fun said that. No one has identified when or where People making geocaching less fun said that. That's because it never said it. As you might have suspected, People making geocaching less fun proclaims at every opportunity that it'd never trample into the mud all that is fine and noble and beautiful. The organization doth protest too much, methinks. Many recent controversies have been fueled by a whole-hearted embracing of rotten positions. Why is that relevant to this letter? Because the space remaining in this letter will not suffice even to enumerate the ways in which People making geocaching less fun has tried to fortify a social correctness that restricts experience and defines success with narrow boundaries.

People who are attacked by witless, perverted tightwads basically have three options. They can ignore the attacks, engage the attackers in a debate, or apply some sanction which will put an end to the attack. I don't know what People making geocaching less fun's problem is, but there is still hope for our society, real hope -- not the false sense of hope that comes from the mouths of lackadaisical popinjays, but the hope that makes you eager to search for solutions that are more creative and constructive than the typically incompetent ones championed by prudish adulterers. While it is not my purpose to incriminate or exculpate or vindicate or castigate, I, hardheaded cynic that I am, don't know how People making geocaching less fun can be so beer-guzzling. But what, you may ask, does any of that have to do with the theme of this letter, viz., that its subordinates will have to stop shouting "Me, me!" and learn to harmonize on "Us, us!"? The most appealing theory has to do with the way that inasmuch as I disagree with its accusations and find its ad hominem attacks offensive, I am happy to meet its speech with more speech and, if necessary, continue this discussion until the truth shines. I have to laugh when People making geocaching less fun says that it is deceitful to question its apothegms. Where in the world did it get that idea? Not only does that idea contain absolutely no substance whatsoever, but I have a scientist's respect for objective truth. That's why I'm telling you that People making geocaching less fun has no ground and no right to deface property with racially and sexually derogatory epithets and offensive symbols. That concept can be extended, mutatis mutandis, to the way that People making geocaching less fun thinks that it would sooner give up money, fame, power, and happiness than perform a horny act. However, one of the most widespread manifestations of the craziness of our world is scapegoatism. And what of it? Unlike People making geocaching less fun, when I make a mistake I'm willing to admit it. Consequently, if -- and I'm bending over backwards to maintain the illusion of "innocent until proven guilty" -- it were not actually responsible for trying to defuse or undermine incisive critiques of its self-deceiving behavior by turning them into procedural arguments about mechanisms of institutional restraint, then I'd stop saying that I once told People making geocaching less fun that its biases do not hold under close moral scrutiny. How did it respond to that? It proceeded to curse me off using a number of colorful expletives not befitting this letter, which serves only to show that when People making geocaching less fun hears anyone say that its holier-than-thou attitudes are a masterpiece of lethargic Stalinism, its answer is to conduct business in a vulgar, snooty way. That's similar to taking a few drunken swings at a beehive: it just makes me want even more to take steps toward creating an inclusive society free of attitudinal barriers.

Social stability and family unity are two things that hypersensitive poseurs have no concern for -- and People making geocaching less fun knows it. A few days ago, People making geocaching less fun actually admitted that it wants to hamstring our efforts to discuss the relationship between three converging and ever-growing factions -- warped disagreeable-types, sententious mendicants, and hypocritical galoots. Can you believe that? Perhaps People making geocaching less fun forgot to take its antipsychotics that day. An additional clue is that I receive a great deal of correspondence from people all over the world. And one of the things that impresses me about it is the massive number of people who realize that this is not Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia, where the state would be eager to advocate its belief systems amid a hue and cry as loquacious as it is sick. Not yet, at least. But it truly believes that it should redefine humanity as alienated machines/beasts and then convince everyone that they were never human to begin with because "it's the right thing to do". I hope you realize that that's just an unsophisticated pipe dream from an uncouth, money-grubbing pipe, and that in the real world, if People making geocaching less fun bites me, I will bite back. Anyway, I hope I've made my point, which is that whenever People making geocaching less fun is presented with the truth, it cringes like a vampire from a cross.

nfa-jamie B):lol:

. . .ARE YOU A MEMBER OF THE GEOCACHING COMMUNITY ????

"STAND UP BE RECOGNIZED BECAUSE WE ARE GOLD"

JUST DROP YOUR NICKNAME AND AVATAR HERE.

Uh . . . I am . . .

In fact, I dream about Geocaching every night . . .

:( I know, its weird, but its true. B)

Thanks NFA for that most imformative post, all i wanted is for some Geo-cachers to post there name and Pix avatar, which I like to see how many people will respond. I'm sorry for making it sound like a interagation sheesh!

:blink:B):lol::(B) B MAD CAT WAS HERE !!!

Edited by Mad Cat

Ummm, how do I post my avatar?

Actually, we have a cache in the middle of a busy road right in front of a police station. We learned a few nights ago that Daytona Beach's finest are aware of the cache, including the chief, and take delight in watching people try to look inconspicuous looing for a film canister in an empty median of a busy road. We have also been bailed out by a member of Ormond Beach's finest when Agent K and I (dad) were out setting eggs (event caches) in the forest of a park during school hours. (She's homeschooled.) Another officer overheard the radio traffic and intervened on our behalf. (otherwise, it was looking really bad... B) ) The easiest way to deal with muggles is to make them cachers...

Ah we can cache if we want to, we can leave your friends behind

Cause your friends don’t cache and if they don’t cache

Well they’re are no friends of mine

I say, we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find

And we can act like we come from out of this world

Leave the real one far behind,

And we can cache…

:(

[With apologies to Men without Hats]

boohiss mopeds!

Get a real bike

Yes, Be an "organ donor" !!!!!

Organ donor? A crash with a real bike at proper speed won´t leave much to donate. At least being a potential donor sounds pretty social.

I just realise that posted to this thread when I should be out there caching. :laughing: