Creative Paint Jobs

TCE

I have not placed any caches yet, but hopefully in the near future I will. I've found some wonderful camo jobs done on caches. But, there are very few that are painted in bright colors.

I know the object is to keep it hidden, but I'm thinking of doing some wild paint jobs...i.e. zebra stripes, leopard spots in purple, things like that...and letting the natural camo cover them up. By using the unnatural piles of rocks or sticks, or large pieces of bark they should be well hidden. And, I'm thinking they'll be more fun to find...especially the logging part when one tries to be discreet. Maybe if they're placed near a university they'll be less obvious...some people may not think anything of some guy sitting down next to a flourescent orange and purple container writing in a little notebook.

I realize I might lose some caches with paint jobs like this :laughing: ...but what do you think?...or is this kind of thing WAY more common that I think :laughing: ...and I just haven't come across it yet?

Common? Fairly (at least in my area). Still worth spending the time to make it look good? You bet! I'm not the trading-type, so the goodies don't wow me. But finding a cache where it's obvious the owner spent a lot of time and effort making the container totally makes my day. :laughing:

I've seen caches, particularly ammo cans, painted bright yellow, pink, even patterned to look like a cow. If you pick the right spot and future finders are diligent, you can make even the most outlandish cache container last. One of my ammo cans is hidden in the middle of the desert--it's painted bright blue with sparkly gold speckles. Once you spot it, you can't miss it. But because it's hidden in an area where few will tread, I can be pretty sure it will stick around for awhile.

2 caches that I have found come to mind. The first was a hiker that was rated a 1 for difficulty. It was an ammo can painted flourescent orange. You could spot it from 100 yards away.

The other was also on a mountain side and had mirrors glued on each side. This was in an area with a lot of brush. you wouldn't believe how effective those mirrors were in camoflauging the cache.

:laughing:

I lost a cache for 15 minutes when I placed it and then walked 5 feet away to check coords. I really think it's harder to find a brightly marked container when it's sunny outside than it is to find a plain old green ammo box whose unvarying color is unnatural looking.

-T of TandS

Since I'm sick to death of plastic boxes, I say anything that makes your cache special is good for the game. By the way, ammo cans--the other incredibly common container--at least have the virue of being way more durable. That said, a bit of creativity is very helpful. Nothing disappoints me more than to solve a four- or five-part multi to find a generic beat-up Tupperware under a completely unnatural pile of sticks. I think the key word here is "imagination." The old gag description of GCing as "using billion-dollar military satellite technology to find lost Tupperware in the woods" should be ONLY a gag. Put something out there worthy of the effort it took to find it.

This has been a developing notion of mine. I've hidden a few generic boxes too, but I've replaced all but one with better hides as people's lack of imagination has spurred me on. My rule of thumb: the harder you have to work to find it, the better the container should be. You can decide what appropriate effort should be. For my tastes it may only consist of more effort put into realistic camouflage. I love it when somebody emails me saying "Wow! I found your cache, but I thought it was a ______________."

My next two caches--still in the planning stages--will be killers! One looks like a fallen log or branch, but it's made entirely of plastic & urethane. I still can't get over how good the prototype looks. I'm going to hide it today and ask my buddy to try to find it. It'll make him nuts.

The other one is so devious that when I publish it, I plan to inform everyone that the FTF prize is a brand new US $100 bill.

That's the LONG answer (to the original question). The SHORT answer is, "No, it's not nearly common enough."

It's in Connecticut!!! ONLY 3000 miles away!!!! Hmm....I guess I'll have to make my own!:D Oh well, it will give me opportunities to be creative :D Thanks for the ideas!

And, I like the plastic log idea too!!! I've seen a couple of those in the "Cool Cache Containers" thread. ...even fake cow pie ones...but I don't think I'm quite that cruel.

Once again, thanks for the ideas :D

we also got tired of seeing plasticware we started creating our own containers I am always tring to make new and different containers most of them end up being micros. I now am staring at an ammo box, my husband thinks I am regressing by using it but we are doctering it up so it should become a fun find. He is now OK with my ideas he really lets me do what I want we started selling some of them on ebay to support my hobby lobby bill. So many cache possibilities. I personally would love to see more original cache ideas not just cammo tape or paint.

Nahtee :D