Best Outdoor Book

Hi,

I am looking for a book on the outdoors that covers best practices for things like: what to do if confronted with a snake, what to do if confronted by a bear, should you drink water from a stream if deer are drinking from it, etc.

The only knowledge I have is what my father, grandfather, and other relatives who spent a great deal of time in the forest told me.

I'd like to know what the current methods are for staying safe and being a good citizen when out in the wild.

What do you think is the best book on the subject? If you can't choose just one, feel free to recommend a couple of them.

Thanks, Shannah

I have the US Army Survival manual....apparently a reproduction of the manual printed by the Department of the Army.

Wish I could pull up a link with it for you...but it has a lot of information of wilderness survival and whatnot, including color photos of snakes, plants, and information regarding edibile stuff, medical treatment, shelter, and anything else you might need if you get lost for a year.

Good Luck.

Ditto Agent Splat

I have it and use it often.

You can get it in paperback or hardbound at most Army/Navy Surplus stores, bookstores, Amazon.com etc.

Good Luck,

Sluggo

9617_300.jpg

I've been convinced for a long time that the flying saucers are real and interplanetary. In other words we are being watched by beings from outer space. -Albert M. Chop, NASA

Don't Panic icon_smile.gif

I'll throw another vote out there for the Hitchikers guide icon_smile.gif

Anyway, one thing to be carefull of is that several books will be way more in depth then you need. The walking and backpacking ones are alright, but once you get into the SAS books you start having chapters on how to kill a bear so you can eat it, and the like. Stuff that it's pretty unlikely you'll use unless you end up on an uncharted island in the middle of nowhere, they do make for an interesting read. Just got to get me a bear, some sticks, and a pit.

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

Don't Panic icon_smile.gif

I'll throw another vote out there for the Hitchikers guide icon_smile.gif

Anyway, one thing to be carefull of is that several books will be way more in depth then you need. The walking and backpacking ones are alright, but once you get into the SAS books you start having chapters on how to kill a bear so you can eat it, and the like. Stuff that it's pretty unlikely you'll use unless you end up on an uncharted island in the middle of nowhere, they do make for an interesting read. Just got to get me a bear, some sticks, and a pit.

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

quote:
Originally posted by mikechim:

but once you get into the SAS books you start having chapters on how to kill a bear so you can eat it,

Totally true. Yeah, that's Chapter 17, and they reccomend playing dead and not going toe to toe with the bear because it can run faster than you and climb trees better. If you're lucky you'll have a fellow geocacher present that you can run faster than, then you can cheer the bear on from a distance. You can't beat that book though. It has sections on eatable/poisonous flora/fauna, 20 different ways to make fire, 17 different ways to make a snare, how to build everything from a lean-to to an igloo and my favorite, how to give yourself the Heimlich manouver on a tree-stump if you are ever alone and choking in the forest.

definitly the best I have ever read whould be the US Army survival manual i put it in a cache so others can enjoy the knloedge best of all it only cost me 6.00 from http:www.bn.com

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: But when I became a man, I put away childish things.