Original Vs Reset

Oo-v-oO

I went hunting for a benchmark today near where I work, on my bicycle.

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=OC0738

I didn't find it, but I was close. I left a note to that effect in the log. Looking for the next nearest one, I found the same benchmark listed as reset, in a separate listing with it's own log. Don't know how I missed it when I found the first listing, but anyway.

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=OC0739

My question is - should I move my comment from the original benchmark's entry to the reset benchmark's log? I would assume that the original is now superceded by the replacement, and that it occupies the exact same location as the original.

This would have been my third find. I like this kind of a hunt, and plan on finding more. It makes a nice complement to hunting for caches.

It wouldn't be wrong for you to put the same note on the page for both the original and reset marks.

Your assumption that the original mark has been superceeded by the replacement is a good one. Usually replacements are placed when the original has been damaged or destroyed. Using that logic, you've got to wonder: if the RESET was set in 1969, how did the US Power Squadron find the original in 1995?

- Kewaneh

While a RESET usually means the original is gone, there are some counter-examples logged, for instance: NJ0484 (F 80) and NJ0485 (F 80 RESET). This apparently happened because the original got covered, the RESET was placed and then the original was uncovered years later. This scenario is a little puzzling as to what they used for a reference elevation to do the reset. Or else the RESET was placed in anticipation of the building work that covered the original.

Edited by Bill93

Oo-v-oO

Good topic, O -

You are correct - usually, the original benchmark is destroyed or removed when a RESET is established. (Actually, a RESET is often established either because the original has disappeared or is about to become unusable due to construction, etc.) Sometimes, the original disk, itself, is reset and re-stamped.

When I see a listing for station X123 and X123 RESET, my experience tells me that I have a really really low probability of finding X123.

Every so often, both the original and the RESET will survive. In one case that I know of,

KK1344

and

KK0564

a RESET was established, but the original benchmark out-lived the RESET.

Although I will often not search for an original mark if it has a RESET (that is, laziness trumps integrity), I do treat each PID as a separate mark when I do search for both. A great many of my "Didn't find it"s are the originals of RESET marks that I just knew were not there before I started searching for them. Hope springs eternal.

The idea of referencing the original mark in your comments on the found RESET (and vice versa) is a very good documentation technique.

I don't think that your assumption about the RESET occupying the exact same location as the original is valid. In my experience, RESETs are usually (not always) in the same vicinity as the original, but not in the exact same location.

Kewaneh's question about the USPSQD is purely rhetorical - we all have seen many examples of how the relationship between what the good Squadron finds or fails to find, on the one hand, and the real physical universe as we know it on the other hand is, well, capricious.

Will

Edited by seventhings

In the original datasheets, the original is listed as being "SUPERSEDED SURVEY CONTROL" while the reset is not. I would interpret that to mean that the original is in fact superceded.

How DID they find the original in 1995, in that case?

I think that I'll wait to change the logs until I get a chance to go back and check out the situation and I'll look around for both marks, in case there were two.

I see that the reset was logged by Waldo's Revenge in 2004.

Thanks for the responses!

Superseded control is information about the mark as it was recorded before the NGS did some updating. There are more up-to-date numbers elsewhere on the data sheet and it does NOT mean the mark itself is superseded.

In this case the original mark's data sheet has been around long enough to go through some of those updates, and the RESET has not. In other cases both data sheets might include some superseded control information.

(edit spplllnnngg)

Edited by Bill93