Nanos And Micros Out Of Place...

ww8ball

I love searching for micros and nanos, but why ruin a great location for a container cache with a needle in a haystack :D . Am I wrong, or do nanos and micros belong in the urban jungle not the middle of the woods? Just my opinion… ;)

Edited by ww8ball

My opinion is not meant to bash micros

I'm with you, I think micros are most appropriate in urban settings, where an Ammo Box wouldn't be feasable. The location of micros in urban settings is another debate altogether.

I prefer small to large sized caches out in the middle of the woods. I recently replaced all of my log only micros, that were located away from town, with Decon containers.

I have been frustrated more than once, while caching blind, when I discovered the cache was a 35mm container on a 1/2 acre rock pile. Had I checked my PDA before heading towards the cache, I would have most likely skipped that cache.

Edited by Kit Fox
I love searching for micros and nanos, but why ruin a great location for a container cache with a needle in a haystack :D . Am I wrong, or do nanos and micros belong in the urban jungle not the middle of the woods? Just my opinion… ;)

I agree. In general you should use the largest reasonable container the location will support. For the most part that means micro's are urban.

I'm with you on this too. I spent time yesterday looking for a micro in the woods. There was only one find and 2 DNFs on it and I already saw evidence of the search. Rocks had been dislodged, logs turned over, leaves pushed aside. Not that its what you would call "environmental damage", but it doesn't look good to outsiders.

Generally I agree, but this particular Micro was lots of fun.

AlsCache1.jpg

However, he is close to the road. If I had to walk a mile to look for a micro, I probably wouldn't even start out. Which would be too bad, because I would have missed the jolt I got when I found an alligator staring at me out of a yucca plant . . .

In the canyon where this guy is hidden, there is a Tupperware cache, a micro, another Tupperware cache, another Tupperware cache, an ammo can, and finally a nano micro.

It makes for an interesting series.

Generally I agree, but this particular Micro was lots of fun.

www.red_x.jpg

However, he is close to the road. If I had to walk a mile to look for a micro, I probably wouldn't even start out. Which would be too bad, because I would have missed the jolt I got when I found an alligator staring at me out of a yucca plant . . .

In the canyon where this guy is hidden, there is a Tupperware cache, a micro, another Tupperware cache, another Tupperware cache, an ammo can, and finally a nano micro.

It makes for an interesting series.

Hey, he looks just like the gator I lost at my Urban Legends III - NY Gators cache in Escondido.

How'd he get so far away?

Edited by Dan-oh

In my area, some of the micros are spiced up like the alligator . I have an iguana in a tree. I have found Hedgehog caches, a few bunny caches, a fake fox cache, and a frog. All the animals were garden statues.

Where did you guys buy the alligator? I wan't one.

Edited by Kit Fox
... Where did you guys buy the alligator? I wan't one.

I found mine at Toys-R-Us. I'm sure I paid way too much, maybe $8-10 but it turned out very cool. I used up the last of my rare earth magnets inside his belly and stuck him to the underside of a manhole cover. Alas, the final cacher thought he had some other type of reptile and dropped him.

He's now swimming with his brothers further down the line. :laughing:

Edited by Dan-oh

I agree with the sentiment expressed by a number of other people here. Micros have their place, but frankly I get tired of how they are all over the place. I haven't done much urban caching, preferring wooded settings, but I think that a creative micro in an urban setting is great. However, when you go out walking through any sort of wooded area there will almost always be room to use a larger container. What the other person said about using the largest cache size possible in a given area is entirely how I feel.

I've done some micros in non-urban settings that weren't too bad, but when I look at the list of caches near me I see dozens of micros within a two mile radius that could easily be something larger if the hider put a little more care, thought and creativity into what they were doing. The worst of the micros I have come across were the really unimaginative ones that just used the "typical" containers like bison tubes and film canisters. The idea of using a toy animal or constructing something that will match the environment in some way is far more interesting, I think. After all, with nothing creative inside the container there should be something creative about its outside.

I agree that most geocachers prefer seeking "the largest container an area can support." That's because, for most geocachers, the activity is one of merely "getting there." Most geocachers don't seem to be interested in undertaking a serious "search" after arriving at the GZ coordinates.

I've always found it somewhat ironic that geocachers will eagerly devote hours and hours to figuring out complicated problems/puzzles, but they won't devote even an hour to a careful and methodical search for a cache.

(a tear rolls gently down his cheek, well sort of untill it hits the beard) Boy you guys are the best I have been thinking this for so llooonnnnngggggg Place the biggerst container an area can stand, or if it is really creative. There are folks that think a micro in a pile of rocks is creative, NOT!!! My goal and I hope I can do it is place trad to large containers. Make it creative. I love the lizard and I have some ideas for what I hope will be entertaining caches. One friend has a cache that is a pumkin in a field or a light socket hanging from a tree in the wood they are called "What the &(@$' and you literal say "what the *#(%' when you see them.

Again you guys are the best.

cheers

I've always found it somewhat ironic that geocachers will eagerly devote hours and hours to figuring out complicated problems/puzzles, but they won't devote even an hour to a careful and methodical search for a cache.

The hours figuring out the puzzle is probably spent in an area where bleeding to death by mosquito is probably not a problem B).

The hours figuring out the puzzle is probably spent in an area where bleeding to death by mosquito is probably not a problem :D.

Well, at least the geocacher "bleeding to death by mosquito" will enjoy a brief feeling of euphoria before passing on to "the great unknown." I feel greater sorrow for geocachers that spend several hours deciphering a "clever" puzzle only to discover the cache was hidden behind the dumpster at the neighborhood "Piggly Wiggly." (Incidentally, do you think the number of geocachers that have "bled to death by mosquito" is greater or fewer than the number of geocachers that have died from a "sudden coronary event" while scoffing down a Big Mac while deciphering a "clever geocache puzzle.") ;)

Leisure time spent is leisure time spent, so I just find it somewhat peculiar that many geocachers devote so much more time to the sedentary "indoor aspect" of geocaching than they do to the physical, out-of-doors aspect. The latter is purportedly the object of the activity.