Do You Need To Sign The Logbook To Have A Find?

GeoBlank

This is one of those silly questions where I don't care what the answer is but then again wondering what your thoughts are.

If I am in a muggle heavy area and I physically see the containter but would rather not risk exposure to sign the log book, should that count as a find?

If you can't complete that mission 100% then maybe it is not officially a find.

Just wondering :lol:

What if you show up to a container and the pen does not work? Pokey stick = blood?

Edited by GeoBlank

I'll agree with the no sig, no find. In Red Rock Canyon, just outside of Las Vegas, there is a cache hidden (barely) under a pile of rocks less than ten feet from an overlook that is always swarming with tourists. The cache is far from hard to find, but next to impossible to retreive without being seen. We were able to do it, but I've seen a few logs by cachers that said "hey, I saw it, but didn't retreive it". The whole challange is to retreive it! If it was my cache, I'd delete those logs.

Yes, I agree. Signing the log book is more important than logging the find on the website. It gives proof positive that you were ther and found the container. I've seen log entries where the person wrote something like "We know where the container is hidden, but could not get to it." They logged it online as a find.

I know a cacher who kayaked several miles out to an island on the lake. When he got to the micro, he realized he had no pen. Being determined to sign the logbook he found a nearby campsite with some charred wood from a recent fire. He used the burnt stick to sign his initials and date it.

I'll agree with the no sig, no find. In Red Rock Canyon, just outside of Las Vegas, there is a cache hidden (barely) under a pile of rocks less than ten feet from an overlook that is always swarming with tourists. The cache is far from hard to find, but next to impossible to retreive without being seen. We were able to do it, but I've seen a few logs by cachers that said "hey, I saw it, but didn't retreive it". The whole challange is to retreive it! If it was my cache, I'd delete those logs.

I've done that cache :lol:

Yep, add another vote to no signature, no find for physical caches.

My very first find, I couldn't sign the log book because the cache was frozen solid. I counted it anyway, on account of I was new and ignorant (and it was my first! And I worked doggone hard for that smiley on a 1/1!), but I went back and signed the book right and proper when the thaw came.

I just had the pleasure of replacing that container, which didn't survive its freezing very well. Sadly, the old log book was gone, so I couldn't see my original entry :lol:

One other time, I had dnf'ed an easy micro (I still believe that sucker wasn't there the first time), and I swung back by on my way home the following week and found it. I sat down to sign and realized I had nothing whatever to write with (not like me!). Nothing in the car, either. I thought about leaving a dirty thumbprint. I had an ink cartridge, which I thought about doing something abominable with. Finally, I put a Special Olympics postage stamp in the cache (because that's exactly the kind of special I felt) and took a picture of it with the open cache and log book on my knee and posted it.

But...ummm....other'n that: no sign, no find.

I've found a couple of caches that had been left open and the logs was mush (and other cache contents gone or gross)...I sign and then leave a new log, repair/restock the cache, and head on my way...That's happened 3 times, and each time, I logged it as found.

nfa-jamie

When I said see it but don't retreive it I meant if you can physically place a finger on it but do not want to pull it out.  If you see something from a distance then for sure I say that would not count.

If you can place a finger on what may be the cache, how do you know it is the cache. I was looking for a cache in a tupperware container once in a local park. While doing the search I found an empty tupperware conatainer, being I was going for a FTF I kept looking and found the cache about 10 feet away for the empty container. If there are muggle you may have to came back another time, I have had to return to a cache in the past in order to log my find, one cache I had to make about 5 trips to in order to log mu find.

I have on cache hidden that incude 2 dummy caches Shouda beenwithin a few feet that contain notes saying "this is not the cache, keep looking"

Edited by JohnnyVegas
...I know a cacher who kayaked several miles out to an island on the lake. When he got to the micro, he realized he had no pen. Being determined to sign the logbook he found a nearby campsite with some charred wood from a recent fire. He used the burnt stick to sign his initials and date it.

I'd have just pulled out my Buck, pricked my finger, and signed it in blood. ;):D

...I know a cacher who kayaked several miles out to an island on the lake. When he got to the micro, he realized he had no pen. Being determined to sign the logbook he found a nearby campsite with some charred wood from a recent fire. He used the burnt stick to sign his initials and date it.

I'd have just pulled out my Buck, pricked my finger, and signed it in blood. :D;)

I almost did that once, but I went back to my truck and drove a few miles to find a store were I could by a pen. The I went back to the cache. It was one of the cache that took three trips, first time I got the time wrong and got there at low tide, but it required a high tide to get the cache, the next time I drove 20 mile to the cache area but I forget to load the coordinated into my GPS and also forgot to load the PQ into my pocket PC, of cource the third time I forgot the pen ;)

I've had two where I didn't sign the book, but the owner said to claim it anyways. In one the book was a mass of mush. I logged it , told the owner and he said it was ok and replaced the contents. The second was a magneic in a free paper box. I found a piece of a magnetic sheet in then box. I saw the owner later that day. He said that it was part of the cache, to log it as a find, and he archived it right after that.