Why hide it in there? Think about it first!

TEAM 360

Today I went to get one of the new caches in my area. I got to the park and the coords led me right to a tall bush so dense you couldn't see in. Full of cobwebs and spiders. Nearby there were plenty of other hiding spots such as benches, rocks, walls, etc...NOW WHY PUT IT IN THE BUSH? This whizzes me off to no end. Do they think I enjoy reaching into someplace like that, out in the open, with no cover? They could have done a "clean" hide on a bench or any one of a dozen other hiding places! God, use some common sense when you place a cache! I didn't even look for it. What a complete waste of my time and energy-not to mention the gas I burned getting there.

Playing devil's advocate, are you 100% sure that the cache was in the bush? I mean, granted, the coordinates led you to the bush, but in our short experience in the game, we are finding there are definitely margins for error. Did you check all the above-mentioned hiding places to make sure, or did you just figure it must be in the bush? Not trying to stir you up anymore than you already are. We agree, placing a cache in a creepy, insect-ridden hole just ain't cool...

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.---Matthew 13:44

Matt & Julia

To view our online geocaching diary/blog, click here

I wish outer space guys would conquer the Earth and make people their pets, because I'd like to have one of those little beds with my name on it.

- Jack Handey (aka Jack Handy)

Gotcha...Not good...Yeah, if I can't visualize an opening of that sort, I am not sticking my hand in it...

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.---Matthew 13:44

Matt & Julia

To view our online geocaching diary/blog, click here

I wish outer space guys would conquer the Earth and make people their pets, because I'd like to have one of those little beds with my name on it.

- Jack Handey (aka Jack Handy)

I am just getting tired of having to dig around in some stinkin' bush...OOOOHHH, another cache-in-a-bush, how exciting that I have to waste 20 minutes looking for it, when there are plenty of "clean" hiding spots all around that would at least offer me some degree of stealth retrieval, instead of having me stand there with my arm in a bush, talking to myself...

I spent 30 minutes with my arms in up to my armpits rooting around under a root wad of an old tree, in the rain at 5:30 in the a.m. in Auke Bay Alaska, and had a blast doing it. (lookin' for Panoramic View) Not much luck finding the micro of this multi, but it was worth it when I walked out of the bushes and scared the jeepers out of a jogger coming down the road on her early morning run. I tried to explain what I was doing but she was eager to leave. It's a matter of perspective I guess. We have so few caches up here I'm fairly open to anything short of a procto exam to find one...Can't wait to get to Denver next week.... icon_biggrin.gif

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

Are you going to throw your GPSr away again?

I mean Caching is so predicable now. Maybe it's time to quit again?

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=39197

_POWDER!!!!!!_

http://www.global-dialog.org/mvd/mvl.cgi?NextName=wAnti-Mokita.html

That's almost funny. icon_razz.gif But with 46 finds in the last 12 days, I am just getting started. icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by TEAM 360 on August 12, 2003 at 08:23 AM.]

Maybe we can just start sending caches to people in the mail? Each cache site would have a mailing list. Receive the cache, open the container, take a McToy, leave a McToy, send it to the next person on the list.

No more reaching into nasty bushes and holes in the ground!

130036_200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mckee:

Maybe we can just start sending caches to people in the mail? Each cache site would have a mailing list. Receive the cache, open the container, take a McToy, leave a McToy, send it to the next person on the list.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/130036_200.gif

Cool idea! But who's gonna pay for all that shipping on a full-sized ammo can? icon_eek.gif

Seems my original point was missed. I apologize if I did not explain it the first time with clarity. This bush is on the peak of a hill overlooking a parking lot, exposed for all to see, and has already suffered damage, it has broken and bent branches, etc...are we really doing the bush or the park any good by putting a cache in there? Plenty of benches, walls and rocks were very close to the location, only about 50' away.

[This message was edited by TEAM 360 on August 12, 2003 at 09:04 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Clown Knife:

I've found many a cache under a bush and have gotten scratched and stuck by thorns and pine needles. What's the problem? If you can't stand the bushes, then get outta the cache! It helps to carry along a stick or something to probe bushes with. Have fun and stop complaining.

MANY a cache? You've only got 33 finds in over 2 years. Please. One more time. Read my posts carefully, please. I will explain to you that the bush in question had sustained a lot of damage already and-you know what? Just forget it. You're right, whatever. Waste of my time.

Oh man, he's bustin' on your numbers now!! Too bad you probably have a job and responsibilities, or you'd be geocaching 24/7 like him; ...me too, come to think of it!!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

Well at least you got it off your mind and into a form off expression that hurts no one,This time of the year at 5:00 a.m. I would not stick my arm in a (bush)depends, in Arizona,I lived there for years and have encountered more than one creature BZZZZZZZ enjoying the shade and coolness of the morning.

I get some of what you are saying but why waste your energy get out there to another part off the Woods,OOpsss Sand Pile,fauna and flora,and all her sisters tooo..Happy Geotrails

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS *GEOTRYAGAIN*

**1803-2003** "LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION"

http://lewisclark.geog.missouri.edu/

Initial Points Page

http://www.True-Meridiansubscribe@yahoogroups.com

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

Cool idea! But who's gonna pay for all that shipping on a full-sized ammo can? icon_eek.gif

Seems my original point was missed. I apologize if I did not explain it the first time with clarity. This bush is on the peak of a hill overlooking a parking lot, exposed for all to see, and has already suffered damage, it has broken and bent branches, etc...are we really doing the bush or the park any good by putting a cache in there? Plenty of benches, walls and rocks were very close to the location, only about 50' away.

The post office would love us for that, I'm sure of it. Sure, it's generating postage $$$, but the caches might trigger all sorts of mailbomb responses.

The updated description makes more sense, top of a hill, total exposure, etc.

130036_200.gif

quote:

Why hide it in there? Think about it first!

I got to the park and the coords led me right to a tall bush so dense you couldn't see in. Full of cobwebs and spiders. Nearby there were plenty of other hiding spots such as benches, rocks, walls, etc...NOW WHY PUT IT IN THE BUSH? This whizzes me off to no end.

Do they think I enjoy reaching into someplace like that, out in the open, with no cover?

In answer to the first question, because the placer wanted to! Why put it in a boring old "clean" area rather than a more challenging area if offered?

But then, one of my most recent finds was in a brush pile covered w/poison ivy. I had to slide the container from under PI leaves and after logging and returning it I discovered it had crushed poison ivy leaves under it! Did I complain? No. I logged my find and a caution for the next finders (I was first), and privately emailed the owner politely. He opted both to move it and replace the container!

One of the BEST parts of this hobby is the variety and uniqueness each hunt offers. That cache was obviously placed for those willing to get dirty/scratched/etc. Why take it personally?

All my caches are different and offer unique challenges. I have warnings for the most extreme to email me for more info, as I try to not give away/ruin the surprise. But I'd tend to say your tolerance is different from that of others, and certainly the placer!

(I've done a fair number of micros hidden in woodland settings where regular caches could have been. Did I complain? No. I found 'em.)

I'd suggest turning your energy to constructive means, finding caches you prefer or placing them as you like! Voila!

Enjoy,

Randy

(Just offering an alternate perspective...)

quote:

I am just getting tired of having to dig around in some stinkin' bush...OOOOHHH, another cache-in-a-bush ....

Gee, TEAM 360, for some reason I always figured you would have been a Bush supporter... icon_razz.gif

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

I'm afraid I don't understand... maybe caching in Michigan is different, but I've found plenty of caches hidden in bushes. I've dug for caches, gone underwater for caches, crawled through the sort of bushes you described for caches. You can say things about the number of caches someone has found, but for god's sake, at least they aren't a wuss about putting their hand in some *icky* bushes. Why hide it in there? Probably to **** people like you off. Why hide it in there? The same reason you'd hide it on a bench or a wall... personal preference. The only valid thing you've said is that it should be somewhere else if the bush it is hidden in is being destroyed. That I can understand. The thing is... in your original post you didn't even say anything about that. I've gotten into stinging nettles, poison ivy, wasp nests, and been stalked by wild dogs... I don't EVER complain about the cache though. It's there for us to find and someone went through the trouble of putting it there FOR US. Be thankful.

-Zach

-Team Zen-

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by mckee:

icon_eek.gif

now THAT'S funny.

~robert

Notice: Driver carries less than $20 cache.

I think Team360's right.

In bushes, under logs, in knotholes of treees, in rockpiles should all be banned.

From now on all caches muust be placed in cleanly mowed areas, that are certified insect free, and must have clear signs posted as to their location. There should be some type of arrangement whereby they also light up at night, so that people that can't make it in daylight hours can still benefit.

Someone else want to add, I'm sure I missed something :-)

Oh, I only have 60 caches in 10 months, so I'm not qualified to comment. Sorry!

Sometimes a majority only means that all the fools are on the same side

quote:

I am just getting tired of having to dig around in some stinkin' bush...OOOOHHH, another cache-in-a-bush, how exciting that I have to waste 20 minutes looking for it, when there are plenty of "clean" hiding spots all around that would at least offer me some degree of stealth retrieval, instead of having me stand there with my arm in a bush, talking to myself...

You could always look at this option as a way to rid yourself of any creepy crawly/thorny stuff. icon_smile.gif

Or, you could just try this cache and tell me what you think. icon_biggrin.gif

Brian

Team A.I.

Better in a bush rather than outside a military installation as one I recently(ignorantly) stopped at while in Idaho last week. Think were you put caches people - as well as were you stop to look for them.

We just stopped cause it popped up on GPSr as closest when we started off that AM. Didn't have much luck after a few minutes and assumed it missing.

As we readied to leave, an MP pulled in behind our van - luckily he was familiar with geocaching as he apparently also also 'stopped' a least one other geocacher. While he patiently had to explain to his supervisor the geocaching concept in detail, and ran my plates and drivers license he told us were to find the cache. Apparently he had checked it out when previous geocachers were about.

When we still couldn't find it he walked over to were he 'knew' it was. He confirmed it gone. Thanks goodness it has been disabled - no reason for its placement at that location.

Apparently someone had removed and disabled the cache after we had left for our trip. My data was a couple weeks old at this point.

I'll take a nasty old bush - well away from security sensitive places - anyday in the future.

I'll not make the mistake of stopping at similiarly placed caches again.