hiding on private property

WisconsinTravelers

Hello! I am new to geocaching and want to ask a question. What is the official (or unofficial) policy on hiding caches on private property? We own 23 acres of hilly land and I would like to hide a cache box there but do you think people won't go? The land is bordered by a hwy, private gravel road (The road is ours) and a 15 acre parcel of land owned by our neighbors (Who we don't know yet).

We also own a 1/2 acre of woods next to our home that I thought would be fun to put a cache box in but now I am thinking the neighbors may call the cops on them..it is a small neighborhood with 1-3 acre lots for each home.

Ally

quote:
Originally posted by WisconsinTravelers:

Hello! I am new to geocaching and want to ask a question. What is the official (or unofficial) policy on hiding caches on private property? We own 23 acres of hilly land and I would like to hide a cache box there but do you think people won't go? The land is bordered by a hwy, private gravel road (The road is ours) and a 15 acre parcel of land owned by our neighbors (Who we don't know yet).

We also own a 1/2 acre of woods next to our home that I thought would be fun to put a cache box in but now I am thinking the neighbors may call the cops on them..it is a small neighborhood with 1-3 acre lots for each home.

Ally

One thing to keep in mind is that not all geocachers who come to search for your cache will be familiar with the area. If you state that the cache is on private property and they have permission to find it, cache hunters may assume they have permission to tresspass on any and all nearby private property. Also, some cache hunters are not very experienced in this game yet and may accidently end up on your neighbors' property. I suggest before you go ahead with this, bake a cherry pie, take it to your nieghbors and introduce yourself. The following week, invite them over for dinner and serve them a nice Wisconsin beer such as New Glarus or Burghoffs (or a good red wine, if you prefer). Then as they mellow out, guide the conversation into geocaching, and then eventually point out that you are considering placing a cache on your property. By this point they will be captive to your charm and will not be able to resist the idea. Cheers!

I would go out and buy myself a ten foot pole. Then, I'd take this ten foot pole and throw it away, because there is not a chance in HADES that I'd invite the lawyer brigade onto my property. You are talking about WAAAAY to much liability, to wide of a margin of error, and the unknown variable is huge (to the tune of 7700 registered members).

Go out and smash your toe with a hammer. It will be less grief and it would be over with much more quickly.? icon_wink.gif ?

boo2.jpg

I would go out and buy myself a ten foot pole. Then, I'd take this ten foot pole and throw it away, because there is not a chance in HADES that I'd invite the lawyer brigade onto my property. You are talking about WAAAAY to much liability, to wide of a margin of error, and the unknown variable is huge (to the tune of 7700 registered members).

Go out and smash your toe with a hammer. It will be less grief and it would be over with much more quickly.? icon_wink.gif ?

boo2.jpg

Put down the hammer. If you own acres, you won't get the roving hoards of geocachers. The ones on private property are fine. What you would do is say something along the lines of. "This cache is on private propery, park at these coordinates xxxxxxx, then have fun" If you want to put a disclaimer such as "You the geocacher assume all risk and liablity for trodding upon my property, further I do not claim that they property is fit for any purpose including geocaching, yada yada yada..."

Here the ones that are on private property state the rules. "Stay away from the animals, you don't need to go near any buildings" etc.

quote:

Ally

There are at least two caches on private property that I've been to. The owners made it very easy to know what to do when you got there. I like the idea of posting parking coords, too.

I don't know about liability. There may be some around here that would. Some disclaimer sounds like a good idea.

Bluespreacher

quote:

Hello! I am new to geocaching and want to ask a question. What is the official (or unofficial) policy on hiding caches on private property?... Ally

I'd love to see a sign that said...

NO TRESPASSING EXCEPT IN SEARCH OF XYZ CACHE!

GPS UNIT REQUIRED TO ENTER!

HAPPY GEOCACHING!

Check with your insurance company for liability and post disclaimer on with cache info.