Geocaching Featured on "Law & Order"

After reading all 7 pages, I still have to leave my comment.

I have never watched L&O before. I will never watch it again.

PJ and I both said "look its buried". We start checking the other channels.

Transmitter duct taped under a car, placed by starving actors? Tracked with a Portable PC? Get real.

While we are supposed to have a "willing suspension of disbelief" when watching entertainment, this one just didn't draw me in.

I don't think this will have a long term impact on Geocaching, one way or another.

As only a mere two other people in this thread have pointed out, yes, it was "buried", but it was buried in a pile of leaves. I've found dozens of caches hidden this way, and don't consider them to violate the "don't bury it" rule. The shirt was more buried than the cache was, and it was only under leaves under a rock.

"Under leaves under a rock" sounds more like something I'd see as "Haqre yrnirf haqre n ebpx," no?

(But Trav, she had a trowel!)

Yeah, good digging tool, that. We never really saw her use it. Maybe it was a TB that was too big for the container?

I was pleased with the show's treatment of geocaching. It showed it as a positive go-and-enjoy-nature kind of obsession, and nothing really bad about it.

(And I never thought that they'd talked about the girl's GPSr being duct taped under her car. She went geocaching with her Etrex. They followed her using the GPS transmitter under her car. There were two GPS devices, plus the PDA. No error.)

As far as the episodes go, it was average.  As far as exploring the matter of geocaching goes, it was disappointing and seem just barely cover the basics.

So that was your average episode? :mad: I wonder how poorly written the rest of the series is. Like others have said, I didn't think it was very well written or had even a remotely believable plot, and the tie-in to caching was very weak. I think it may be a while before I watch TV again... now I remember why I leave the TV off and spend my time outside. ;)

Edited by DavidMac

I wonder why we want geocaching to be exposed in the mainstream. It seems to me that I don't want too many more people involved in the sport. Too many geocachers, especially thoughtless ones, will only cause problems that will lead to restrictions on the sport. Just look at what yahoos on quads have done to their sport. They are ruining it for everyone. The bad ones go where they shouldn't, rip up the forest floor, leave garbage behind and are rude to other people they come across. More and more areas are restricted to them, by necessity.

The Geeks

I wonder why we want geocaching to be exposed in the mainstream. It seems to me that I don't want too many more people involved in the sport. Too many geocachers, especially thoughtless ones, will only cause problems that will lead to restrictions on the sport.

You act like we have any choice. It isn't as though our PR machine (me) campaigned for this story line.

If it does enter the mainstream the best way to adapt is to make sure the new folks who play are well informed about the activity.

You found out about geocaching somehow. That doesn't make you a bad person. I'm sure there are plenty of other good people who would make a positive impact on the sport. There are always detractors in every activity and we've had our share of them already.

As only a mere two other people in this thread have pointed out, yes, it was "buried", but it was buried in a pile of leaves. I've found dozens of caches hidden this way, and don't consider them to violate the "don't bury it" rule. The shirt was more buried than the cache was, and it was only under leaves under a rock.

"Under leaves under a rock" sounds more like something I'd see as "Haqre yrnirf haqre n ebpx," no?

(But Trav, she had a trowel!)

Yeah, good digging tool, that. We never really saw her use it. Maybe it was a TB that was too big for the container?

You missed the opening scene then? Showed her digging the cache out of the dirt with the trowel.

untitled24ch.jpg

You act like we have any choice. It isn't as though our PR machine (me) campaigned for this story line.

If it does enter the mainstream the best way to adapt is to make sure the new folks who play are well informed about the activity.

You found out about geocaching somehow. That doesn't make you a bad person. I'm sure there are plenty of other good people who would make a positive impact on the sport. There are always detractors in every activity and we've had our share of them already.

I didn't say we had a choice. I just expressed an opinion and wondered why we welcome the attention. Early adopters to something like this tend to be the best informed participants. All I am saying is we are bound to see more restrictions as more people get involved.

Golf and tennis were games where people conducted themselves with a certain etiiquette. In the past thirty years or so they have become more mainstream. Have you been to a public course lately? Things have changed in thirty years. On public courses polite considerate behaviour is a thing of the past. I know, I have been playing for forty years.

It will be more and more important to stress the right way to conduct yourself while caching. If done right we can have a positive impact on the areas we visit.

I didn't say we had a choice. I just expressed an opinion and wondered why we welcome the attention. Early adopters to something like this tend to be the best informed participants. All I am saying is we are bound to see more restrictions as more people get involved.

But who is we exactly? You are part of "we" and you don't want the attention. Although I think it is cool to see geocaching mentioned in a mainstream show I don't exactly welcome the attention either. Really I would appreciate a slower growth, truth be told.

Granted that the early participants help to nudge the activity a certain way but it takes fresh insight and new blood to breathe life into an activity. We both need the attention and don't need it.

The regulation and/or attention is inevitable, so I can't just crawl into a closet and throw a blanket over my head. It isn't going away. But I also don't need to stand at the door with rifle in hand to scare the varmints away either.

As far as the episodes go, it was average.  As far as exploring the matter of geocaching goes, it was disappointing and seem just barely cover the basics.

So that was your average episode? :mad: I wonder how poorly written the rest of the series is. Like others have said, I didn't think it was very well written or had even a remotely believable plot, and the tie-in to caching was very weak. I think it may be a while before I watch TV again... now I remember why I leave the TV off and spend my time outside. ;)

L & O used to(and maybe still does) bill itself as 'torn from the headlines'. As a person that has watched the several different incarnations of the show it has always been quite surprising to notice how many show actually are almost direct accounts of very current news stories. Sure, the names are changed and I'm sure the story tweaked a bit but many of the stories have been easily recognizable.

I wonder if the geocaching plot line was actually part of a similiar crime somewhere or a writers enhancement. Sorry if this info has been posted earlier as I have not read the whole lengthy thread.

I just watched it, expecting to be appalled after reading this thread. I didn't think the caching stuff was so bad, except the digging which I agree was atrocious. So the screens were wrong. If they used the real screens, viewers would be baffled by little ghosts all over the place. Not to mention having to dummy up a fake map with the authentic look of the website. As for holding the eTre upside down, it looked to me like he took it out, then turned it so it faced his partner as he set it down. He was holding it correctly at the computer. And I give them credit for catching the sig item concept.

The plot, however, was awful. I watch the original L&O series occasionally, and it is usually very thought-provoking. I don't know how realistic the actions of the characters are, but the plots are usually quite believable, sometimes uncomfortably so. This is the first time I've watched "Criminal Intent", though, and it looks like I haven't been missing much. That plot was just ridiculous.

Don't judge television as a whole based on this episode any more than you'd want someone to judge geocaching based on it.

Did I miss something? I don't remember anyone on the show saying that the yellow etrex was taped to the bottom of her car. Like some of the posts here clame.

When they showed the bottom of the car all I saw was duct tape. No yellow etrex.

Well, after reading 75% of the thread, I could hold my disdain no longer. I'd been telling many people to watch this episode, & I couldn't be more disappointed. IMO, it was buried, at least that is how it looked when the detectives unearthed it.

Aside from this misrepresentation - I think "geocaching" got probably 3 minutes total air-time throughout the show... what a poor represenation of the sport - or should I [again] say misrepresentation.

Not that I nesessarily promote the "advertising" of our activity - but I did look forward to many family & friends getting a "glimpse" of what we do. Overall it was [for me] a disapointment.I'm glad I didn't mass-mail my regulars to watch this. They get a better view of the sport from my weekly narrated photo e-mails of my hunts. :lol:

Hey, they say even bad press is good press, right?

that really is a question

I to watched the show.First time watching L&O.Was dissapointed that the main suspect was a cacher but was glad she didnt do it in the end.I watched a show called the worlds 10 most sought after treasures and geo-cacheing was #7.That was a whole lot better of a show..

Well, after reading 75% of the thread, I could hold my disdain no longer. I'd been telling many people to watch this episode, & I couldn't be more disappointed. IMO, it was buried, at least that is how it looked when the detectives unearthed it.

Aside from this misrepresentation - I think "geocaching" got probably 3 minutes total air-time throughout the show... what a poor represenation of the sport - or should I [again] say misrepresentation.

Not that I nesessarily promote the "advertising" of our activity - but I did look forward to many family & friends getting a "glimpse" of what we do. Overall it was [for me] a disapointment.I'm glad I didn't mass-mail my regulars to watch this. They get a better view of the sport from my weekly narrated photo e-mails of my hunts. :lol:

Hey, they say even bad press is good press, right?

that really is a question

Perhaps a better source of geocaching info

I didn't say we had a choice.  I just expressed an opinion and wondered why we welcome the attention.  Early adopters to something like this tend to be the best informed participants.  All I am saying is we are bound to see more restrictions as more people get involved.

But who is we exactly? You are part of "we" and you don't want the attention. Although I think it is cool to see geocaching mentioned in a mainstream show I don't exactly welcome the attention either. Really I would appreciate a slower growth, truth be told.

Granted that the early participants help to nudge the activity a certain way but it takes fresh insight and new blood to breathe life into an activity. We both need the attention and don't need it.

The regulation and/or attention is inevitable, so I can't just crawl into a closet and throw a blanket over my head. It isn't going away. But I also don't need to stand at the door with rifle in hand to scare the varmints away either.

Any publicity is good publicity. All hobbies, sports, pursuits et al will have their adherents, purists, geeks and, unfortunately, jerks. I happened on a thread where a cacher was lamenting the fact that a person or persons unknown had singled out their caches and muggled every one. I gues it's up to all of us who want to keep this activity "fun" to self-regulate behavior. The jerks will come along now and then, but sc**w 'em. They can't get 'em all. :lol:

Well it was a disappointment. However good or bad the light was on Geocaching it will draw new cachers. The way we and another friend got started was we saw a news article here in San Antonio that told of an older man going Geocaching and falling off a cliff. We said if its that dangerous we must try this out. However, it came to be that he had a heart attack and that is how he fell. Not just walking along looking at the GPSr and falling.

As for the buring of the cache. I would call that covered not buried. Yes, they showed her with a trowel but dadgum a pair of hands brushing the leaves off the top would have worked just as good. There are tons of caches in the area that are covered like that, some with leaves others with sticks. Thats not any worse then stuffing it in a hollow log arms length in and putting bark over the opening.

Now lets go back to the rock. I have found caches placed under rocks before. In fact we always look under rocks when we look for caches. So do alot of the cachers I know. So, how come a cacher did not find the hoodie and gun first. The next time we have a Texas Geochallenge I want the detective that spotted the hidden evidence in 30 second on my team. I bet it would have only taken him about 2 minutes to find the 500 point token that we looked for and did not find after 1hr 45min.

All that being said -I am definetly curious about the number of new accounts that pop up after that episode. Hint, Hint Jeremy.

I wonder if the geocaching plot line was actually part of a similiar crime somewhere or a writers enhancement.

I don't know about the geocaching part being torn from the headlines, but the main plot of the episode apparently was somewhat based on a true story (according to tvtome).

Yes, it was buried, other than that I thought geocaching came off ok, although barely any exposure. But I know why I don't normnally watch L&O:CI, it seemed like every time I turned around they'd reached another conclusion and it seemed like the conclusion had nothing to do with what had happened up to that point.

Amusing that within one week both L&O and CSI had gps tracking used to stalk someone.

I watch enough CSI to where I'm sure I can handle this episode when I finally watch it. But then I also liked Kung Fu Hustle and Night Stalker probably won't let me pick the movie again for a few years.

My biggest entertainment problem is that iTunes doesn't have any of the albums I'd like to buy with my free credits.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Geeks, haven't you noticed that civility has decreased everywhere, not just in golf and tennis? Since Newt's book on how to attack and demean your opponents, it seems that's all you see everywhere. On the talk shows nobody listens to each other, everyone just shouts at everyone else. Even here, it's easy to see a lack of common courtesy and civility on many threads. It's even in churches, where in a Baptist church in North Carolina, the pastor got all 9 of the Democrats thrown out. Anyone who voted for Kerry was forced to leave the church, and about 10% (!!) of the members followed them, while the other 90% cheered and applauded. I fear for democracy and freedom in this country.

The only thing I have to add is that I did enjoy the scene of them puzzling over her swag...I've often wondered what someone would think if they went through my geo-pack!

:lol:

HA! Yeah, that WAS funny! Geo Ho is usually the "keeper of the travel bugs and trinkets", and when we travel, TSA almost ALWAYS singles out her backpack for hand searching. Always funny to see the look on the agent's face when he starts pulling out all the stuff with the tongs. ;)

Edited by Mopar
Geeks, haven't you noticed that civility has decreased everywhere, not just in golf and tennis?  Since Newt's book on how to attack and demean your opponents, it seems that's all you see everywhere.  On the talk shows nobody listens to each other, everyone just shouts at everyone else.  Even here, it's easy to see a lack of common courtesy and civility on many threads.  It's even in churches, where in a Baptist church in North Carolina, the pastor got all 9 of the Democrats thrown out.  Anyone who voted for Kerry was forced to leave the church, and about 10% (!!) of the members followed them, while the other 90% cheered and applauded.  I fear for democracy and freedom in this country.

Oh please. :lol:

And let me expand further: There is an "off-topic" forum.

Edited by New England n00b
Geeks, haven't you noticed that civility has decreased everywhere, not just in golf and tennis? Since Newt's book on how to attack and demean your opponents, it seems that's all you see everywhere. On the talk shows nobody listens to each other, everyone just shouts at everyone else. Even here, it's easy to see a lack of common courtesy and civility on many threads. It's even in churches, where in a Baptist church in North Carolina, the pastor got all 9 of the Democrats thrown out. Anyone who voted for Kerry was forced to leave the church, and about 10% (!!) of the members followed them, while the other 90% cheered and applauded. I fear for democracy and freedom in this country.

Civility has DECREASED? Although I don't agree with tossing out fellow bretheren of any political affiliation from a bona fide reilgious sanctum, the churches HISTORICALLY treated people much WORSE! Perhaps you forgot about the Salem witch trials...or the Spanish Inquisition?

Events such as these lead to the ever-so-familiar law concerning separation of church and state. They figured the blend of politics and religion made any one entity too powerful and dominating with which to mess!

:lol:

back to law and order... if a non-cacher sees someone with a trowel and dirt being put on top of a container and is not familiar with the rules, it's probably safe to say they will likely assume that this cache was buried. good job posting the note on the front page just in case someone thought that.

i am just happy that the dude that framed her had turned the rock completely over so they could find the hoody and gun buried otherwise it would have been a DNF! :lol:

Since Newt's book on how to attack and demean your opponents, it seems that's all you see everywhere.

Puuuhleeze. You're gonna tell me that a book that about 500 people actually read has anything to do with a lack of civility today?

Actually you don't have much of a historical perspective. In sports, John McEnroe was cursing at umpires 20 years ago. Ty Cobb was jumping into to the stands to stomp fans 90 years ago.

Ronald Reagan and Jimmy Carter were unrelentingly attacked by their political opponents and those attacks pale in comparison to what went on in the early years of this nation's history. Adams, Washingtion and Jefferson were the targets of the most depraved and vicious attacks imaginable, as was Lincoln and even FDR to some extent.

And lets not go into the lack of civility displayed historically to blacks, immigrant groups, homosexuals, Catholics and others. We've come a long way in that regard and though some still exists, its no longer widely considered to be acceptable.

Wait, I thought this was about a TV show. :lol:

Edited by briansnat

With respect to Geocaching being "advertised" in the mainstream media, I also think this is potentially a Bad Thing®. Remember in 1996 the floodgates opening as AOL linked their large member base into the (Al Gore's) internet at large. Have we forgotten the torrent of "me too" posts in Usenet and the general lack of netiquette that ensued? Remember how the AOLers bristled at the suggestion that they were newbs (and why wouldn't they) when in fact everyone predating them could plainly discern their shortcomings? One wonders how would a "turf war" such as that might play out in these forums?

However, I honestly wonder how many people are actually going to catch the Geocaching bug from about 30 seconds of inaccurate exposure on a prime time television series. I've never watched the show before, but I PVR'd the episode to see how GC would be represented and there is no doubt in the opening shot that the cache is being buried with a trowel. Wish I could say I was surprised.

I think I bigger concern might be those who are in a position to give permission for a cache being "planted" on property they administer thinking that Geocaching equals digging holes and burying things (like guns, or even worse... hoodies). :lol:

Since Newt's book on how to attack and demean your opponents, it seems that's all you see everywhere.

Puuuhleeze. You're gonna tell me that a book that about 500 people actually read has anything to do with a lack of civility today?

Actually you don't have much of a historical perspective. In sports, John McEnroe was cursing at umpires 20 years ago. Ty Cobb was jumping into to the stands to stomp fans 90 years ago.

Ronald Reagan and Jimmy Carter were unrelentingly attacked by their political opponents and those attacks pale in comparison to what went on in the early years of this nation's history. Adams, Washingtion and Jefferson were the targets of the most depraved and vicious attacks imaginable, as was Lincoln and even FDR to some extent.

And lets not go into the lack of civility displayed historically to blacks, immigrant groups, homosexuals, Catholics and others. We've come a long way in that regard and though some still exists, its no longer widely considered to be acceptable.

Wait, I thought this was about a TV show. :lol:

<<<Personal attack and profanity deleted>>>

;)

Well, that was mildly entertaining. I want a GPS like the one taped under the car. It must have really good reception!!!!

It was a TRANSMITTER Carleen.

You forgot "receiver" in the term GPSR.

And with the proper antenna you can get good reception - even under a car.

(stuff deleted...)

I too saw the trowel in the first few minutes of the show, and I was horribly offended. :D But, the trowel doesn't look like a trowel you'd use for digging, it almost looks like a masonry trowel, something that a brick layer would use to smooth out mortar? It definately doesn't look like something you'd want to do much digging with.

(more stuff deleted...)

Worst-cast scenario, they could have really made us look bad. They could have had a nerdy engineer, killing people, and leaving mutilated body parts in tupperware, but they didn't. They had an almost reasonable interpretation of geocaching...

I just spent two hours reading this thread and decided to jump on board.

First things, first. I missed the first few scenes, could someone relate what happened? My VCR clock is auto-set by through my local PBS signal and it seems NBC's clock is a bit faster. The first scene it recorded shows the actor at the bar looking at the ring, just before his girlfriend walks up.

Next, a confession... I didn't know you're not supposed to bury a cache. I first learned of geocaching about four years ago from a coworker. I watched the website for a while to see if any new caches would be placed near me. Without a GPSr, I eventually stopped visiting, but the site was still bookmarked. Recently (two jobs later), I overheard another coworker talking about geocaching and I checked back in. That's when I saw the note about geocaching being featured in an upcoming CI. My girlfriend watches all of the CSI and Law & Order shows. We both love Vincent's character. This was exciting to me, since I had JUST returned to the fold. I still don't have a receiver, so I haven't sought or "buried" (he he he) a cache, but I definitely wasn't aware of this rule. A lot has changed, though, since I first visited the site. It seems some new terms have arisen (hence the glossary) and I don't even recall the 528 rule back then. Maybe I didn't check things out that closely back then, and I definitely haven't had time to peruse the entire site, yet.

Team K-9, you're correct. That is a masonry trowel. I agree that a gardening trowel would be a better choice, and just as compact, albeit against regulation. By the way, what's wrong with being a "nerdy engineer"? ;+) Nice helmet--I bet you always have coffee while watching radar, don't you?

I can't wait to get out there and do some 'caching. I'll be reading the site to catch up on the rules and guidelines and the forums to get tips and GPSr suggestions.

pseudo-newbie,

KBoyKool

Next, a confession... I didn't know you're not supposed to bury a cache. I first learned of geocaching about four years ago from a coworker.

Well, to be honest the first stash was a bucket buried up to where just the lid was exposed. I added the "no buried caches" guideline at the early beginnings of geocaching.com to discourage destructive behavior.

Next, a confession... I didn't know you're not supposed to bury a cache. 

I actually get this a lot from people that ask me about geocaching. Many of the folks that I talk to just assume that all of the caches are buried. I guess it's the age-old conception of "treasure hunting".

I'm not really concerned about a deluge of buried caches from newbies. The community does a fantastic job of policing the rules in a constructive and polite manner and the folks burying caches will quickly learn of their error . . . or they will just have a boatload of DNFs and be none the wiser . :D

Well, that was mildly entertaining. I want a GPS like the one taped under the car. It must have really good reception!!!!

It was a TRANSMITTER Carleen.

You forgot "receiver" in the term GPSR.

And with the proper antenna you can get good reception - even under a car.

It was a TRANSMITTER Jeremy.

What constitutes a 'proper' antenna? Could a proper antenna provide good reception in the engine room of a U.S. Navy aircraft carrier?

Edited by Team cotati697
It was a TRANSMITTER Jeremy.

"And with the proper antenna you can get good reception - even under a car." Has this been scientifically proven?

It is assumed that a GPS unit is also a receiver. So it would be a receiver and a transmitter if it submits tracking info.

And yes. It can be scientifically proven. Keep in mind to track a vehicle you don't need uber accuracy.

...What constitutes a 'proper' antenna? Could a proper antenna provide good reception in the engine room of a U.S. Navy aircraft carrier?

If it had an external antenna. Perhaps a re-radiating antenna.

That's like stating, abolutely, that a GPSr won't work inside a building. Mine gets sat lock all the time in the house. Its not a great lock, but it knows approximately where it is.

Edited by sbell111
Next, a confession... I didn't know you're not supposed to bury a cache.  I first learned of geocaching about four years ago from a coworker.

Well, to be honest the first stash was a bucket buried up to where just the lid was exposed. I added the "no buried caches" guideline at the early beginnings of geocaching.com to discourage destructive behavior.

I am not quite clear on this. Does the guideline only refer to those caches that might be completely buried but that would otherwise be ok so long as a portion of the container is visible above ground level? Thank you.

You should really try and read about the workings of a GPS receiver. You keep repeating that it is a TRANSMITTER but it is, in fact, also a RECEIVER. Perhaps CAPS LOCK will help you read this simple fact.

Jeremy, i have never tried to say that a gpsR is a transmitter. the device in the now infamous tv show however was a transmitting device. it was not a gpsR. you know, the one under the car.

Edited by Team cotati697
I am not quite clear on this. Does the guideline only refer to those caches that might be completely buried but that would otherwise be ok so long as a portion of the container is visible above ground level? Thank you.

Sure. Sorry you're having difficulty navigating Geocaching.com. Here's a link to the guidelines to help answer any questions you may have.

thank you jeremy, i'll check it out.