Geocaching Featured on "Law & Order"

So when will the Groundspeak start selling official Geocaching Trowels? :unsure:

Maybe CoyoteRed and Sissy can make some kind of gag gift trowel trade item because of this. If Cr & Sissy are reading this, put me down for a few. ;)

ROFLMAO!

I found a really rusty one in front of my house about a year ago. Its been sitting in my garage ever since.

I'm thinkin' TRAVEL BUG! (psst.... stay tuned...) :blink:

Edited by Snoogans
So when will the Groundspeak start selling official Geocaching Trowels? :unsure:

Maybe CoyoteRed and Sissy can make some kind of gag gift trowel trade item because of this. If Cr & Sissy are reading this, put me down for a few. ;)

ROFLMAO!

I found a really rusty one in front of my house about a year ago. Its been sitting in my garage ever since.

It looks like there are going to be many trowel tb's released soon from reading the posts. Too funny

ROFLMAO!

It looks like there are going to be many trowel tb's released soon from reading the posts. Too funny

I think we should all create Trowel TBs with a goal to get to NBC with a note saying, "You got it wrong"

I think we should all create Trowel TBs with a goal to get to NBC with a note saying, "You got it wrong"

Give me an NBC address and I'll activate one in the morning

MAIN NBC NETWORK ADDRESS:

NBC Viewer Relations

30 Rockefeller Plaza

New York, NY 10112

(818) 840-4444

I'll be looking for it in the next few days!

Hey, Jeremy: As long as we're updating the front page, how bout we take off the 'April 16th Is Cahe In Trash Out Day' item. It's nearly a month over date, and to new visitors will make it look like gc.com doesn't update the site very often.

Just a humble suggestion...

Hey, Jeremy: As long as we're updating the front page, how bout we take off the 'April 16th Is Cahe In Trash Out Day' item. It's nearly a month over date, and to new visitors will make it look like gc.com doesn't update the site very often.

Just a humble suggestion...

As you know, CITO is a key tenet that legitimizes us to the masses, so a prominent mention on the home page is a good thing. Maybe Jeremy just needs to tweak the verbiage since the day has just recently passed...something along the lines of "Each year around April 16th..."

"Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong..."

-Dave R.

Wonderful. They pick Harriman State Park for the geocaches used in the plotline. New York Geocachers have been engaged in a challenging dialogue with the land managers there, where a new permit policy is being implemented.

Just lovely.

The should have used Central Park. They could have saved on the bridge tolls to cross the Hudson River. Plus no one gives a crap what's buried in Central Park. Or who. :unsure: On the other hand maybe some NYC park guy will start looking into caching something they haven't done to date.

Those maps they used look like NYNJTC trail maps with little dots for the caches paste on.

Did you guys even watch the show, people keep saying they put it on the bottom of the car to see which cache she went to! That wasn't used for that at all, it was so they could keep showing up in town were she was at so it would look like she was a stalker.

Well for the first time on national Tv for geocaching.com. Wish it showed how the real sport is being done.

Bad things from the show:

- State Park (Hope they had permisson)

- It was BURIED!

- The gave the sport I think a bad rep (that geocachers are killers)

- Never used the hand held gps to help crime, she might have used a waypoint to find where the (gun) might be, they could of use it or looked at the unit

Good things from the show:

- Show the actually website

- Got the sport of geocaching to a very big part of population, and people going to look!

Last thoughts:

I hope some of the brass from geocaching clear some of the things up that we noticed, pretty sure we will hear something in the near future.

Did you guys even watch the show, people keep saying they put it on the bottom of the car to see which cache she went to! That wasn't used for that at all, it was so they could keep showing up in town were she was at so it would look like she was a stalker.

the whole plot was weak - and the tie in to caching was even weaker.

What I found humorous was the number of cops it took to find a Tupperware container hidden under a pile of leaves. On slow motion I counted at least 12 different people there (including the ranger). You'd think it was a difficulty 5 Leprechaun cache or something. :unsure:

Why did Gorman keep looking at the Etrex upside down? :unsure:

etrex_wrong.jpg

eTrexBig.jpg

Was it some more of that (un)creative licensing to make them look like they REALLY didn't know what they were talking about!! :D

I normally like L&O:CI, but this one was a real let down.

With or without the Geocaching tie-in. :blink:

Then after all of the blatant mistakes of the writers not doing their homework, it really sucked.

I mean. "Come On, NBC!!"

Are plot lines such secrets that they can not even contact someone related to Groundspeak to make sure all their info is correct!!??!! ;)

D-man :D

Maybe we have it all wrong, the writing on this show was pretty bad. They used geocaching.com to make sure all geocachers watched to bump the ratings. I know I would have turned the TV off after the first commercial break if it weren't for the caching being part of the show.

It was pretty frustrating to see the sport TOTALLY misrepresented in the first 30 seconds..... sigh. :unsure::blink:

$#%^^ cache is BURIED?!?!?

Yeah.. I was sitting here watching it and the first thing out of my mouth - well, I can't repeat here.. And my mother's like what??? And I'm like they burried the $*#@* $ thing... You don't bury a cache...

And the seventh pic down on G's pics... where on the site is that image????

Seriously, tonight's show sucked... Not only was it one of the worst episodes of the show, the site was only positive if you mean positive in the sense of a teenager reading a pregnancy test.

Rather than wiring up a car to see what caches they went to, wouldn't it be a lot easier and provide less evidence if you just went online to see what caches the cacher went to?

Or look at the track log... I thought they'd power it on and check that, but nope.

$#%^^ cache is BURIED?!?!?

And the seventh pic down on G's pics... where on the site is that image????

They probably made up that map for the show. Just before they showed the map they showed the shot of NYPD intranet site (as shown on eighth picture).

I wonder why police intranet would have geocaches locations in them :unsure:

Wow,

did they get that wrong!

--buried in the ground

--all the caches were "riddles"

--coordinates kept in xx.xx format...

phew, did they blow it!

They always do though: I work in radio and TV and just about every time they get that totally wrong too. My favorite is the guy moving a TV switcher bank handle in a radio station to change audio! Hahaha.

This show was written a "script writer" who did shoddy research. That's pretty common....

Edited by Trumper

when you look closely on the last pics you can actually see them doing search on "Harriman State Park and geocaches" if read it correctly

looks like they know everything about everything in those government databases :unsure:

Shoddy Research is an understatement.. They managed to contact Jeremy to tell him that they were doing the episode, so I'm quite sure they could have managed to contact a real cacher and get four minutes of basic info and do a good show.

I was just so dissapointed in tonight's episode.

I didn't read anyone that caught the GPS "transceiver" part where the Yellow was used to transmit the car's location to the stalkers car.

Maybe I should send mine in, that feature is broken on mine.

EDIT: Oops, forgot about the time zones, didn't read back far enough.

Edited by MarcusArelius
nemo keychain

I just know somebody is going to have to buy a case of these.

Heh. This is a bit off-topic, but I would NOT order from that particular website -- they charged me for an out of stock item, charged me again for my order WITHOUT that item, and then claimed they'd "reversed" the charge. I finally had to dispute it with my bank to get rid of it!

Mighty expensive signature item, anyway!

Another inaccuracy that no one has mentioned yet. When the detectives found the cache, they stated, "She signed it on Saturday," referring to the suspect. How did they know it was the suspect who signed it, since she used her geocaching nickname?

Also, how many cachers do you know who carry a little notebook with clues and coordinates written in it? I always carry a printout of the cache pages on a clipboard.

I wasn't as disappointed in it as others seem to be. The trowel was a bit much and it seems unnecessary to find this one it was buried under leaves and a little dirt. I've seen actual caches buried like that.

The tie in with the gun and the cache was pretty weak.

The description sounded more like a letterbox than a cache. Surprised they got that so wrong. I thought that was worse than the burying thing but I know that can be a touchy subject.

My wife actually has her own logbook that she keeps track of caches. Doesn't include the coordinates though.

Loved all the different hiking equipment including shoe spikes and the topo and other maps in her car. Now that's a geocacher I'd love to hang out with!

Speaking of letterboxes, looked at the caches in the park and noticed there is a letterbox hybrid near the supposed location: On to Anthony Wayne. Or at least there used to be. The cache description says it's no longer a letterbox hybrid but he can't change the type. Is there an approver here that could help him?

Mehright, so here's my experience with this kind of contraption:

I've been able to transmit (with relatively low bandwidth) data 7+ miles between two laptops using off-the-shelf FRS radios and a little soldering (serial-headset jack connection). It would be quite easy to set up a GPSr and some kind of pretty simple radio system with a large battery pack or a DC adapter tapped into the car's elec. system somewhere (trailer light conn.) On the other end, just have a laptop receiving the signal from the complementary radio and send the data to your mapping software of choice. The range of the entire thing could easily be extended if necessary.

of course, there is always the Garmin Rino.

However the radio in the Rino has horrible range, and putting it under the car surely doesn't improve that!

My wife and I enjoy Law and Order but I can't say we watch Criminal Intent very often. The male detective is way too smart to be believable; he makes Sherlock Holmes look pathetic. We watched it but I didn't really expect them to get it "right". Having been Search and Rescue volunteers for 8 years, and having seen many TV shows try to depict a search for a missing person, I knew the writers would botch this attempt to depict geocaching, too. Let's just hope this doesn't trigger a new bunch of idiots, like our local cache thief, and that it only generates interest among those who are genuinely interested in our sport.

See you down the trail!

Edited by Team SAR-Dogs
So who is going to email the link to this thread to NBC?

good luck they hide the feed back in page apon page of junk. YOued have a easier time finding a micro in the woods under logs with a a dead gps.

But if someone dose mange to weed throough the muck and send this I would like to say I watch (used t watch) alot of the law and order shows. After this one though i realy doubt I'll be watching any more of them mostly because (yes I know its only tv) now i realize how pourly the writers actualy research these things like another poster said couldnt the writeres take 4 min to actualy to find out some real info about this. Another poster said it just looked like a way to get the whole gc community to tune in to bost rateings yess again i agree. As a fan of this show i was very let down by what they actualy did with it. and on ending with the comic book guy (from the simpsons) "worst show ever"

What was the deal with the body still laying uncovered, on street the day after the murder? And with people passing by as if nothing was going on. I know its supposed to be NYC, but if there is a body laying on the sidewalk there is going to be a crowd.

Outside the geocaching aspect, what a dumb show. Lousy, wooden acting and silly plot.

Why did Gorman keep looking at the Etrex upside down? :)

etrex_wrong.jpg

D-man :)

I'm sure the actor (and anyone editing, directing, prop handling, etc.) didn't bother researching (or even turning on) the device to know how to handle it. I guess it looks more like a PDA or cell phone without a keypad when its upside down. It probably looked like the correct way to hold it to them.

:)

Also, I'm sure you noticed several of the fish are askew in this photo.

:unsure:

Edited by tabulator32

Yes, we both picked up on the trowel thing right off the bat--I'm sure every geocacher did. After the opening scenes Sissy went in to post, but saw several posts pointing this out already.

TV shows use creative license. They don't care if the unit was upside down as no one can read the text on it. They oriented it how it looked best.

It was the same with the burying of the geocaches. They had to bury the hoodie and the gun. It wouldn't make much sense to bury the hoodie and gun with the intent of making it look like a geocacher did it without burying the caches as well.

I was pleasantly surprised geocachers weren't portrayed as recluse freaks, techno-nerds, or some other fringe group. ...like furries. Overall, I suspect there was little damage done.

As for the episode overall, I was disappointed. I suspected something was wrong right off the bat when the boyfriend survived being shot by someone standing over him. The suspicions got stronger during the "grieving scene" and the tie in with the script.