Geocaching Featured on "Law & Order"

i went out geocaching 30 minutes before L/O came on and i went about 10 miles from my house and when i came back it had been on about 5 to 8 mninutes. When i went out caching i found one. So i found a cache before it came on and i logged it after it went off.

Hmm, where do you start picking this one apart. Buried caches. Etrex's that get reception while duct taped under cars. Etrex's that transmit their location to nearby palm pilots. (I want one). The line "She parked there so we know which cache she was at." Huh!? With how many caches nearby? And that was vastly understated. I could go on. Sigh.

You know, every time I see a TV show that depicts some real-life hobby or profession that I know something about, they screw it up royally. Just goes to prove how much you can believe from what you see on TV. I should've skipped this and gone out and snagged a few more caches tonight.

I don't remember them saying anything about it being a Garmin E-Trex being taped to the underbelly of the Jeep I do remember them saying it was a GPS transmitter! Can someone tell me if they actually did say a reciever or transmitter? I know it was a transmitter.

I thought it was a decent episode as far as law and order goes. It didnt get as into geocaching as i thought it would, which might be a good thing.

If that was a decent, or even typical L & O episode, it's pretty safe to say I've watched my first and last episode of it...it was excruciatingly boring, not to mention the inaccuracies everyone caught!

Hmm, where do you start picking this one apart. Buried caches. Etrex's that get reception while duct taped under cars.  Etrex's that transmit their location to nearby palm pilots. (I want one).  The line "She parked there so we know which cache she was at."  Huh!? With how many caches nearby?  And that was vastly understated.  I could go on. Sigh.

You know, every time I see a TV show that depicts some real-life hobby or profession that I know something about, they screw it up royally.  Just goes to prove how much you can believe from what you see on TV. I should've skipped this and gone out and snagged a few more caches tonight.

I don't remember them saying anything about it being a Garmin E-Trex being taped to the underbelly of the Jeep I do remember them saying it was a GPS transmitter! Can someone tell me if they actually did say a reciever or transmitter? I know it was a transmitter.

no they said a trancever could have been taped there and useing the right computer equipment you could use that to track someone

Hmm, where do you start picking this one apart. Buried caches. Etrex's that get reception while duct taped under cars.  Etrex's that transmit their location to nearby palm pilots. (I want one).  The line "She parked there so we know which cache she was at."  Huh!? With how many caches nearby?  And that was vastly understated.  I could go on. Sigh.

You know, every time I see a TV show that depicts some real-life hobby or profession that I know something about, they screw it up royally.  Just goes to prove how much you can believe from what you see on TV. I should've skipped this and gone out and snagged a few more caches tonight.

Acutally they said GPS "tranciever" which by definition would be a unit that receives and transmits.

She said it was the perfect size for a GPS. (or something like that but she definitely said GPS)

no they said a trancever could have been taped there and useing the right computer equipment you could use that to track someone

ok. is there any truth in that?

Bad acting aside (and I'm not just referring to the tape of the little sidekick guy in the hotel room) I thought it was a great RELIEF the killer was not portrayed as some geocacher in a dark hood with GPSr and a smoking gun.

The thought of muggles getting all resilient and defensive because of an evil portrayal of geocaching they saw on Law and Order might make it a little tougher on innocent geocachers just trying to log a cache.

It could have been (excepting a couple actors) a lot worse. I still think it was pretty good for a two-second spot of free advertising.

People pay big bucks for product placement in television and movies and it can last only a few seconds....just like this one.

Sort of.. you can track things, but it's definately more expensive than just a GPS. Then you'd need either one heck of an amplified antenna, or an external antenna, which would be more conspicuous.

Ever hear of Lo-jack?

Sort of.. you can track things, but it's definately more expensive than just a GPS. Then you'd need either one heck of an amplified antenna, or an external antenna, which would be more conspicuous.

I would like to have one of those things attached to all the local gcachers around here vehicles. I could track where they go. That way I could be ftf on every cache, even before they posted

I was waiting for someone to ask that. I was wondering the same thing. I don't think the yellow e-trex in her cache bag had anything to do with what was tapped to the underside of the jeep.

I would like to have one of those things attached to all the local gcachers around here vehicles. I could track where they go. That way I could be ftf on every cache, even before they posted

Ha! I could take the train, bus and trolley just to throw off your diabolical FTF ploy!

BWAAA-HaHaHaHaHA!

So, which of you NY/NJ cachers is going to go out an hide the new "Footbridge" cache in Harriman State Park?  Make sure you bury a gun next to it!

This is actually much worse then people think for the locals to Harriman State Park. The park has had some er... issues with cache density (as jmbella's map shows), and the current head ranger is not very pro-geocaching. Showing caches buried in "her park" will certainly not help promote geocaching there.

Edited by Mopar
So, which of you NY/NJ cachers is going to go out an hide the new "Footbridge" cache in Harriman State Park?  Make sure you bury a gun next to it!

This is actually much worse then people think for the locals to Harriman State Park. The park has had some er... issues with cache density (as jmbella's map shows), and the current head ranger is not very pro-geocaching. Showing caches buried in "her park" will certainly not help promote geocaching there.

I think even he knows that caches aren't buried.

Rather than wiring up a car to see what caches they went to, wouldn't it be a lot easier and provide less evidence if you just went online to see what caches the cacher went to?

They were just struggling to find more ways to weave geocaching/GPSrs into the plot.

I'll bet at least a few caches in that park are muggled over the next few days...People wondering if those little tupperware containers are out there in the park like they saw on the screenshot.

:unsure:

Rather than wiring up a car to see what caches they went to, wouldn't it be a lot easier and provide less evidence if you just went online to see what caches the cacher went to?

Then they wouldn't have been able to show up where ever she was and frame her for the whole "stalking" bit.

Edited by HalnJen

Is it a he now???

Last year it was a she. Guess she didn't last long! :unsure:

I'll bet at least a few caches in that park are muggled over the next few days...People wondering if those little tupperware containers are out there in the park like they saw on the screenshot.

Good point. We'll see.

Anyway for us to see how many new members sign up tonight and tomorrow?

Edited by JMBella

Is it a he now???

Last year it was a she. Guess she didn't last long! :unsure:

Oops, my bad.

If I were the owners of the caches in this park, I would edit them to members only ASAP, at least temporarily. :blink:

If I were the owners of the caches in this park, I would edit them to members only ASAP, at least temporarily. :blink:

Good idea!!!

All 150 of them?!?

Mehright, so here's my experience with this kind of contraption:

I've been able to transmit (with relatively low bandwidth) data 7+ miles between two laptops using off-the-shelf FRS radios and a little soldering (serial-headset jack connection). It would be quite easy to set up a GPSr and some kind of pretty simple radio system with a large battery pack or a DC adapter tapped into the car's elec. system somewhere (trailer light conn.) On the other end, just have a laptop receiving the signal from the complementary radio and send the data to your mapping software of choice. The range of the entire thing could easily be extended if necessary.