Geocaching Featured on "Law & Order"

Man, all I gotta say is some of this stuff really makes us look BAD.  You know how ignorant people can be!  "You are all psycho-geo-killers!"  Ooo.  Geo-Killers.  I should copyright that. :unsure:

Joe

G3 Geoblazers

Copyright © 2005 Geo-Killers. (heee hee.  I couldn't resist!)

Well that might keep the muggles away! :blink:

Hmm, that's good point. Never thought of it that way. It's over now. Could have been worse I 'spose...

Joe

G3 Geoblazers

Well, I think it was awesome! That kind of publicity, just a mention of the website and a screenshot, is just perfect! That is enough to get people looking into it and checking out the sport for what it REALLY is!

All said and done. I think it was good, free publicity.

:unsure:

Well, that was mildly entertaining. I want a GPS like the one taped under the car. It must have really good reception!!!!

I was more annoyed by the unrealism with the actor. If someone can't stay up all night and still do an easy line, why would anyone need to sabatoge their career anyway??? That would require such a bad actor that they would never get the job anyway.

The GPS/Geocaching, and also various legal inacurracies I just chalk up to general TV. :unsure:

Edited by carleenp
Jeremy needs to add something on PAGE ONE of the GC web site, disclaiming the L&O episode and the fact that it depicts BURIED CACHES, which of course proper cachers don't do.  We're about to be bombed with new traffic off this show.

"Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong..."

-Dave R.

It looks like the main page was updated a few minutes ago, including a statement about us never burying caches. :unsure:

Geocaching Featured on Law & Order: CI

Geocaching was featured on Law & Order: Criminal Intent on May 8. Contrary to the creative license taken by the show's writers, we strictly do not list caches that are buried. We also welcome those who saw the show this evening!

edit: okay, I'm slow. Several others beat me to the post...

Edited by DavidMac
Jeremy needs to add something on PAGE ONE of the GC web site, disclaiming the L&O episode and the fact that it depicts BURIED CACHES, which of course proper cachers don't do. 

Done.

I have to give Jeremy props for putting the disclamer up so fast.

Jeremy needs to add something on PAGE ONE of the GC web site, disclaiming the L&O episode and the fact that it depicts BURIED CACHES, which of course proper cachers don't do. 

Done.

Thanks.

I fail to see the point of geocaching in that show. They jammed it in an already written episode for some reason. The geocaching plot line added absolutely nothing to the story. I'm betting another show is going to do a story on caching and they tried to beat them to the punch. Lame!

Hmm, where do you start picking this one apart. Buried caches. Etrex's that get reception while duct taped under cars. Etrex's that transmit their location to nearby palm pilots. (I want one). The line "She parked there so we know which cache she was at." Huh!? With how many caches nearby? And that was vastly understated. I could go on. Sigh.

You know, every time I see a TV show that depicts some real-life hobby or profession that I know something about, they screw it up royally. Just goes to prove how much you can believe from what you see on TV. I should've skipped this and gone out and snagged a few more caches tonight.

I'm sure they were as intently watching [also read as "wasting their life away"] as we were...

Actually, here in Seattle, it is not on for a few more hours. We're just paying attention to this thread. :unsure:

High-fives for listening to us East-Coasties...

:blink:

Wait till you see it. After the first 20 minutes or so there isn't much there about caching. [ EDIT: Well, actually nothing really about caching itself...]

At least they used a screenshot of the NEW geocaching.com front page. They pull up some page after that reading something on the screen that is unfamiliar to me... It was in a web browser but they removed the address so I have no idea what the heck that was...

Joe

G3 Geoblazers

Edited by g3geoblazers

Well on the plus side the Geocacher was not connected to the crime and Geoachers were not portrayed as a bunch of geeks. On the other hand BURIED CACHES, give me a break. The writers must have done enough research to understand what Geocaching is to use it in the script, I seriously doubt the dramtic effect would have been ruined if the cache had been hidden in the normal manner.

Can I have my wasted hour back.

I fail to see the point of geocaching in that show. They jammed it in an already written episode for some reason. The geocaching plot line added absolutely nothing to the story. I'm betting another show is going to do a story on caching and they tried to beat them to the punch. Lame!

This sounds more plausible than the murder plot on the show.

Well on the plus side the Geocacher was not connected to the crime and Geoachers were not portrayed as a bunch of geeks. On the other hand BURIED CACHES, give me a break. The writers must have done enough research to understand what Geocaching is to use it in the script, I seriously doubt the dramtic effect would have been ruined if the cache had been hidden in the normal manner.

Can I have my wasted hour back.

hah. I would say that the only upside was that we weren't portrayed as the Geo-Killers © that I thought they were making us out to be through the middle of the show...

Joe

G3 Geoblazers

Hmm, where do you start picking this one apart. Buried caches. Etrex's that get reception while duct taped under cars. Etrex's that transmit their location to nearby palm pilots. (I want one). The line "She parked there so we know which cache she was at." Huh!? With how many caches nearby? And that was vastly understated. I could go on. Sigh.

Harriman has what 200 caches?

It's obvious they consulted no one. Well, maybe a letterboxer. :unsure:

You know, every time I see a TV show that depicts some real-life hobby or profession that I know something about, they screw it up royally. Just goes to prove how much you can believe from what you see on TV. I should've skipped this and gone out and snagged a few more caches tonight.

Yeah, I hate to watch lawyer shows. I see too many wrong things and it drives me nuts.

Yes- I know that buried cache thing ticked us off royally...Even if it wasn't against the rules-any cacher worth her salt would know that a buried container stands a greater chance of a major moisture problem down the road.

I taped it for my love of caching-but I'll end up using it for my high school acting class. I just introduced the Method.

The episode was a letdown in that geocaching only tangentially figured in the plot and only during the first 20 minutes. I guess I'm glad that the geocacher (Kelly) was not the killer but I didn't really appreciate the dismissive tone ("when was the ;ast time you went on a treasure hunt?" "Like never!")

I read similar comments in Backpacker magazine; an editor did some geocaching and thought it was fun but ge thought geocachers were often obsessive and cultish. Not like those COOL backpackers, of course. :unsure: