Geocaching Featured on "Law & Order"

Didn't see this posted anywhere, but my TiVo picked up an upcoming episode of Law & Order: Criminal Intent that will revolve around geocaching.

Law & Order: Criminal Intent

NBC May 08 09:00pm EST

Series/Drama, 60 Mins.

"The Unblinking Eye"

A young actor is wounded and his fiancee killed, leading detectives to look into a high-tech treasure-hunting game called geocaching.

I think I have an event cache that day to got to, but it's only 5 minutes from home for a change :D I am going to tape it anyway.

I was wondering when some TV crime show would work geocaching into a plot. There are lots of way to work geocaching into a story.

Like some one knocking off a rival FTF hound by setting an ambush or a booby traped cache. :lol:

Thanks. I was told this was going to be on May 1st, so I'd have egg on my face if I sent that date in the New cache notification emailer tomorrow :lol:

We found out about this 2 weeks ago when we were contacted to get permission to use a screenshot of the web site. As far as I know, Geocaching is part of the story and in a positive light. Unfortunately that's all I know about it since they tend to keep the script confidential.

It's something I would expect Detective Goren to know about, but I'm surprised that CSI hadn't picked up on it before. CSI Miami used "Toothing" last week in a storyline (which, BTW, toothing was discovered to be a fake fad) and Furries in an episode last year. IMO there are far more geocachers than furries (though, sadly, furries are better TV).

Thanks. I was told this was going to be on May 1st, so I'd have egg on my face if I sent that date in the New cache notification emailer tomorrow :D

We found out about this 2 weeks ago when we were contacted to get permission to use a screenshot of the web site. As far as I know, Geocaching is part of the story and in a positive light. Unfortunately that's all I know about it since they tend to keep the script confidential.

It's something I would expect Detective Goren to know about, but I'm surprised that CSI hadn't picked up on it before. CSI Miami used "Toothing" last week in a storyline (which, BTW, toothing was discovered to be a fake fad) and Furries in an episode last year. IMO there are far more geocachers than furries (though, sadly, furries are better TV).

Mebbe, but it's a lot harder to find a Furry website that you can show on TV... And I don't even wanna know what toothing is...

For once I might actually watch CSI. So far I haven't had the time, but if the story is good, well... mebbe it'll be worth it.

Frankly, I still miss Quincy. :lol:

"toothing" was the alleged habit of trolling around with a bluetooth device in an attempt to find other, unsecured bluetooth devices to "steal from" or whatever.

If an understanding of the technology weren't enough to instantly dismiss "toothing" as a fake fad, the name, sure should have been. "toothing?" eh.

is this the first mention of geocaching in/on something as widespread as TV?

...It's something I would expect Detective Goren to know about, but I'm surprised that CSI hadn't picked up on it before. CSI Miami used "Toothing" last week in a storyline (which, BTW, toothing was discovered to be a fake fad) and Furries in an episode last year. IMO there are far more geocachers than furries (though, sadly, furries are better TV).

Ditty, I would of thought some geocachers would of found a Body on CSI by now. CSI Miami had a flashmob episode.

"toothing" was the alleged habit of trolling around with a bluetooth device in an attempt to find other, unsecured bluetooth devices to "steal from" or whatever.

Slightly. It was actually reported to be a way to contact a stranger for anonymous sex (which turned out to be a hoax).

To New England n00b (and others): It is actually Law & Order: Criminal Intent. Crime Scene Investigation was just another show I referenced that addresses Internet-based activities. There are so many L&O and CSI shows it is difficult to keep it straight! Sadly I watch almost all of them.

My speculation is, like many L&O shows, geocaching was picked up from a police investigation outside of Las Vegas. A geocacher stumbled on a body while geocaching. There have, of course, been other bodies discovered throughout the course of geocaching. It is inevitible since we know where all the good hiding places are.

Too cool. Law and Order: CI is my FAVORITE network TV drama. Vincent D'onofrio totally rocks. ;)

Mrs. CacheNCarry and I refer to "Law&Order:Criminal Intent" as "CSI:Edgar" because:

1) All the L&O / CSI shows look the same

2) It's hard for us to see Vincent D'Onofrio and not think of "Edgar" from "The Men In Black"

(in our house "L&O:Special Victims Unit" is known as "Law&Order SUV".)

Edgar:

meninbl4.jpg

Too cool. Law and Order: CI is my FAVORITE network TV drama. Vincent D'onofrio totally rocks. ;)

Mrs. CacheNCarry and I refer to "Law&Order:Criminal Intent" as "CSI:Edgar" because:

1) All the L&O / CSI shows look the same

2) It's hard for us to see Vincent D'Onofrio and not think of "Edgar" from "The Men In Black"

(in our house "L&O:Special Victims Unit" is known as "Law&Order SUV".)

Edgar:

meninbl4.jpg

That's Eg-ur, not Edgar.

sd

I dug up a longer plot. I haven't read the script so you know as much as I do (now).

STREET SHOOTINGS RAISE PUBLIC OUTCRY AS POLICE PROBE FEMALE STALKER -- AND HIGH-TECH TREASURE HUNT GAME -- After a young actor Mike, (guest star Jeffrey Hephner) is wounded and his fiancee is shot dead on the street, Detectives Goren (Vincent D'Onofrio) and Eames (Kathryn Erbe) are pointed towards the surviving victim's former girlfriend, who is known to have stalked him The key, however, might turn on their probe of "geocaching," a high-tech treasure-hunt game that could yield vital clues As the media and public mourn the man's tragic loss, the police want to take another look at some of his acting buddies, especially one who never lets go of his Palm Pilot Jamey Sheridan and Courtney B Vance also star.

Interesting.. Wish there was a way to have a national event, then every cacher could watch the show and get to log it as a find ;)

I usually wouldn't give a rip about law and order, or for that matter most tv shows, but I'll make an exception for this one.

Interesting.. Wish there was a way to have a national event, then every cacher could watch the show and get to log it as a find :D
Now, there's an idea! ;)

I usually wouldn't give a rip about law and order, or for that matter most tv shows, but I'll make an exception for this one.
I agree.

I always remember him as 'Thor' from Adventures in Babysitting - a true classic.

I always remember him from the role he played in "The Player". ;)

I honestly don't know how many will find out about geocaching in this way. We have found that news articles (even big ones) don't attract nearly as much interest as an online news article. The ease of clicking on a link to find the web site brings a lot more activity. That's just traffic, however. It is possible that the folks who stick around are the ones that find out about the activity via more traditional means.

We should get that survey done so we can accurately find out where people find out about geocaching. It would be neat to find out that most discover geocaching via word of mouth.

Davien, GC has been mentioned on a few national news things as a public interest type story, but this is the first to my knowledge that it's been in a show and not a FYI piece.

I miss Quincy, too!!!! Did you ever see the episode when they reconstructed the skull to determine who's it was? I never saw it, but if you say Quincy to my dad..... lol.. That was the best show (mind you, twenty years before my time, but a darn good show)... It's a shame Jack can barely talk now after having cancer. He's such a good actor. (FYI, he guest starred on Crossing Jordan as a ME.)

Jeremy.... What are you doing watching Adventures In Babysitting? That was such a weird movie.... When I was in junior high, every afternoon before a holiday break we'd get out of class to watch a movie before the end of the day (yes, odd, I know) and they showed us that once. lol. The worst thing was that they kept the movie choice secret until we got there. I think they knew telling us "Bambi eats Cleveland" was the movie would get more anticipation than Adventures In Babysitting did.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.

But I have caches to find and miles to go,

before I sleep!

Maybe that could be:

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,

but I have geocaches to seek,

and miles to go before I sleep,

and miles to go before I sleep.

Not a perfect rhyme, but it scans better!

Thanks. I was told this was going to be on May 1st, so I'd have egg on my face if I sent that date in the New cache notification emailer tomorrow  :laughing:

Now, if you only would be so kind to tell us europeans when this will be aired overhere? I guess in a year or two?

SCNR,

Tobias

Uh, oh! CI is a cool show, but if there is enough detail to show a screen shot it will have the bit a good portion of the motivation for either the victim or the suspect. Let's hope it's a case of "he just happened to be out geocaching..."

If there is enough resolution, maybe one of us will show up in the rotating pics at the top homepage! I wonder when this was shot......have I posted enough pics recently? HHHMMMMM?

I'll be watching.

We should get that survey done so we can accurately find out where people find out about geocaching. It would be neat to find out that most discover geocaching via word of mouth.

I think we may be pleasantly surprised by this number being higher than expected. I'd bet it is a pretty high number.

1/2 the cachers I know found out about the sport through word of mouth.

To be more precise, they found out from word coming from my mouth. :laughing:

known to have stalked him The key, however, might turn on their probe of "geocaching," a high-tech treasure-hunt game that could yield vital clues As the media and public mourn the man's tragic loss, the police want to take another look at some of his acting buddies, especially one who never lets go of his Palm Pilot Jamey Sheridan and Courtney B Vance also star.

Ahhh, and paperless caching no less. :-)

...It's something I would expect Detective Goren to know about, but I'm surprised that CSI hadn't picked up on it before. CSI Miami used "Toothing"  last week in a storyline (which, BTW, toothing was discovered to be a fake fad) and Furries in an episode last year. IMO there are far more geocachers than furries (though, sadly, furries are better TV).

Ditty, I would of thought some geocachers would of found a Body on CSI by now. CSI Miami had a flashmob episode.

That's exactly what I thought. I watch CSI a lot and there have been a few times I thought they were going to bring it up.