Advice for a newbie please - which model?

AngryElf

I am another excited newbie. I heard about geocaching on NPR and now want to get in. I have wanted a GPS for a while and now have a good excuse to get one.

I will use it mostly for geocaching and hiking. Possible a little in the car. I want a step up from the basic models.

I am considering:

Garmin eTrex Venture $149.95

Garmin eTrex Lengend $199.95

Magellan Sportrak GPS $159.95

Magellan Sportrak MAP $182.95

I would appreciate any feedback(pros/cons)on these models.

Thanks

There have been many debates between Garmins and Magellans. Both are fine GPS units, it's just a matter of preference. I'm a Garmin man due to the waterproof feature. I also use a Garmin Venture and I'm very happy with it. The Magellan is reputed to have a better antenna. Your choice. I'm sure you'll enjoy either. Welcome to Geocaching!

Happy geocaching

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

Yes, there is lots of debate on the models, just check the posts. I've been doing a lot of research and searching the last couple of days (for a GPS, not a cache, lol!) basically boiled it down to the Garmin Etrex and the Magellan 315, they're fairly comparable for a basic model. The basic etrex was cheapest thru Amazon ($99, free shipping) I got the Magellan 315 because I (finally) got it on ebay for $75 after being outbidded for days on the etrex. Though, didn't do much research on the "step up" version, but I've seen more favorable stuff for garmin.

Use the 'search feature' at the top of the Forums page to find recent threads about individual units or comparisons. The Sportraks are new, so there probably isn't a whole lot of talk on the forums about them, but they are similar to the other Magellans and will suit your needs just fine. Welcome to the sport and Happy Caching. icon_smile.gif

19973_600.gif The adventures of Navdog, Justdog, and Otterpup

Use the 'search feature' at the top of the Forums page to find recent threads about individual units or comparisons. The Sportraks are new, so there probably isn't a whole lot of talk on the forums about them, but they are similar to the other Magellans and will suit your needs just fine. Welcome to the sport and Happy Caching. icon_smile.gif

19973_600.gif The adventures of Navdog, Justdog, and Otterpup

I am also pretty new to geocaching. I bought a garim etrex a few weeks ago and have gone out a few times. I really like it's simplicity, you can use it with one hand, easy to navigate through different pages and create routes. For the price and versitility I thought it was a great deal. If you are just starting out I would say to keep it simple so you can enjoy the find.

Bones

I have a GPS III+ that I bought about three years ago. I have used it geocaching, hiking, driving, and even flying. (I’m a USAF C-141B Flight Engineer) Some of the features I had to have when I was looking for a GPS are, waterproof, detachable antenna, and the trackback function. I wanted waterproof because it rains here in Washington (state) a lot. I personally believe that the best day to go geocaching is when the weather is the worst. It just adds to the adventure. I had to have a detachable antenna to connect it to the aircraft antenna. I have no reception in the cockpit of the plane, even with the antenna pointing out the window. (However, on a commercial airline I have gotten great reception pointing the antenna that came with the unit out the side windows in the cabin. I have a suction-cup RAM mount and fasten it right to the window, I get all the satellites on that side of the plane. I do get funny looks from the cabin crew though and have had to put it away due to a particularly ignorant stewardess.) I may upgrade to the GPS V soon to get WAAS. Just my two cents……..

Thanks for all of the feedback. I appreciate it. I hope to make my purchase by next weekend.

Criminal, funny you should mention about using your gps on commercial flights. I am flying to Japan in Sept. and thought it would be cool to fire it up on the way over. I wasn't sure if it was legal to turn it on. Plus, since Sept 11, I am sure people are a little jumpy seeing some electronic gizmo attached to the window.

I have had very little trouble with using it on a commercial flight. That’s one reason I like the detachable antenna, you can also aim it. I once had a stewardess ask me what it was and I explained it was the same as what the pilot was using in the cockpit. She seemed to be wavering so I told her to ask the captain if it was OK. She never came back so I guess it was. On my honeymoon to Hawaii back in February I had no trouble going but on the way back there was a particularly ignorant gal who made a huge deal about it even to the point of trying to frighten the people around us. I just put it away.

Criminal

We have an etrex Legend, my brother and his family have a Maggie (sorry - don't know the model) and they both work very well. Sometimes our GPS gets us closer and sometimes his does. Same goes for when we're out hunting with people who have other models of Garmin. Plus remember someone always has one just a bit better than yours.

I think they are all pretty good. Get the one you like...try it for a week or two and if you don't like it, take it back.

Good luck

Only thing I'd suggest is that you look at a mapping unit. Not actually necessary but, its very handy when you are trying to figure out how to get to the cache site. After I arrive I usually switch to the pointer screen to home in on the actual location.

No Matter Where You Go... There You Are...

As most have mentioned, most GPSRs are all good these days and they all have their pros and cons. My advice is to try the ones out that you are interested in if you can. I had the salesman at Academy outside with me for about half an hour while i tried a couple of different models out. I know it doesnt tell you a whole lot in that short period of time but you can get a feel for each and also get an idea of how they work!

Another opinion from a Newbie (said proudly since we are all at one point or another) - I went ahead and bought a Garmin V. Seems to be a rather high-end unit but my thinking was get one I might want to end up with rather than go through two or three "starter" units and end up actually spending less. I just hit ten found (I happen to LOVE locationless caches - get me out and about when time is limited and test my local knowledge & resolve). Anyway - I love my Garmin V and just used it on a commercial flight from Orlando to Seattle and back - kinda freaky seeing the speed 509 MPH....tons of fun and still learning A LOT!!! Thanks to all that post - you help greatly.