How Do You Become A Approver??

george12

:lol: How do you become a approver??? well ask an approver.

It seems like lots of people ask me. So many, that I've developed a form letter to respond to these questions. Almost without fail, they come from newer geocachers who aren't quite ready to take on the job just yet. But each inquiry deserves a polite response, since any one of them could wind up getting asked to help out the volunteer group a few hundred finds later on. So, I send this reply, or a modified version of it:

Hello,

Geocaching.com asks geocachers to become volunteer cache reviewers based on an identified need in the local area.  Qualifications include experience level (most volunteers have hidden dozens of caches and found hundreds or thousands), reputation within the local geocaching community, involvement with any local geocaching organizations, demonstrated ability to work with land managers, communications skills, and knowledge of the geocache listing guidelines.  I would encourage you to hide excellent caches that comply with the listing guidelines, as a good first step.

You may want to correspond further with the Groundspeak volunteer for your area, since I see that you do not live in the area where I review cache submissions.

Thanks for your interest,

Keystone Approver

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer 

My form letter is short ;)

If you ask to be a cache reviewer, you don't have the qualifications to become one. If you're reluctant to be one you're on your way to reviewerhood.

In that case...

Please please please please pick me as an approver! I want to be one sooooooooo badly it hurts!!!

Make me a forum moderator too! I really really really really really want to be a moderator! I promise I'll be good!

Whew. I'm safe now. :D

My form letter is short :D

If you ask to be a cache reviewer, you don't have the qualifications to become one. If you're reluctant to be one you're on your way to reviewerhood.

;)

Uh-oh. Up until a few moments ago I was very reluctant, thinking something along the lines of "man, those reviewers are awesome, but how do they do it? I would never want to be a reviewer."

However, as I ponder my love of geocaching, I cannot think of anything I would like to do more than be asked to be a reviewer.

Ignore all of the above for a start.

The answer is practice.....

And the way to do that is to approve the approvers. Once or twice a day write a comment in one or other of the 'knocking the approvers' threads that will almost certainly be open. Just be sure that you APPROVE of the approvers.

That's all there is to it really - practice, practice, practice. Let them see that you know how to 'approve' with the best of them.

:D;):D:D:P;)

The main problem in our area of the Southeast US is that SC_Reviewer has just made it impossible to ever do a better job for anyone else. And I'm not even suckin up on this. He regularly drives from Virginia to attend our local meetings in Columbia, SC. So unless you're that insane (requiring a doctor's letter as proof) you probably don't qualify.

- T of TandS