The Ultimate Cache Find In Methuen, Ma

WH

Cool!

I had an uncle who was a small time mobster. He was always pretty paranoid and would bury money all over the place. On vacation at the Jersey shore he buried 10,000 dollars in the backyard of his rental bungalow and forgot about it.

A few weeks later he went back to try to dig it up and the new tenants called the cops who arrested him for trespassing. As far as I know, the money is still there.

Busted!

Heard on WBZ this morning driving in, these guys were roofers and they plucked the cache out of somebody's attic while on the job. According to the radio, they would've gotten away with it if they hadn't wanted their 15 minutes, but they came to somebody's attention. Boston.com just says "wanted for questioning" because their story kept changing, but the radio said they were in custody.

So, no hiding caches in somebody else's attic!

You know, I thought something was fishy about that deal. I mean, if the cash was in cans stuck in a box underground... well I think we all know what happens to caches after a while, the contents get soaked, cans rust, cans in water disentigrate from the rust. A wooden box wouldn't be waterproof, unless it was covered in tar or something (judging from the dates of the bills). Paper bills and whatnot would be mush, or unrecognizeable, definately would have little to no value, especially collectible value.

How can they be charged with anything if the rightful owner hasn't made a claim? 

From the CNN article:

Under Massachusetts law, "when you're working on my house and you find it on my property, you've got to tell me," the police chief.

My take on that part is that since the money was hidden on the property and unknown to the owner of the property it's still the owner's money. Property is kind of an "Ownership Zone". Everything contained within my zone is mine even if I don't know it's there. Even if the previous owner didn't know it was there. The zone is mine, hidden treasures are mine.

They're busted. I hope they serve time. Since $125,000 has been offered for the bills, it's a major theft.