Don't Try This At Home

My eTrex Legend has survived quite a few falls from holding height. It's not holding up bad at all. The new eXplorist, on the other hand is transported only in a suspended antigravity pod with several pillows underneath it and trained FBI agents willing to dive in and save it in the event of a fall. At least until the cases are available :rolleyes:

Can you adapt the cover somehow? The official Garmin cover opens at the top, so it is very easy to attach the power cord. It closes with a velcroed tab.

I noticed a cover being offered with a GPSr being sold on eBay. It didn't have a viewing window. :rolleyes:

What were they thinking. :D

I sure as hell hope it can withstand a fall from 4 feet!

I wasn't too worried about the electronics (although having seen the effects of a technician dropping a hard disk from the same height onto a lot softer surface a few years back...), but I was impressed by the lack of any apparent cosmetic damage to the unit. I didn't see exactly which corner it landed on.

When I went shopping for my first mobile phone, the salesman recommended the Nokia 3310. His logic was: it's not the cheapest, the lightest, or the one with the most features. But you *will* drop it, and it's the most resistant. One element of this is: the battery (this was in the NiMH days of mobile phone batteries) is heavy. So the phone tends to land on its back.

Now we only buy Nokia phones for our corporate users. They keep asking for the latest gizmo-laden phone from Sony or Motorola, but we know they will be back in three months with some mechanical failure, either because the gizmo wore out, or because they dropped it.

Luckily I have never dropped one of my GPS units, but my cell phone has taking quite a beating by dropping it and my daughter occasionally tossing it like a toy across concrete. Anyway, I wish the thing would just break so I can get a new cell phone ;)

darn you Motorola :D

Edited by moonpup