Gc.com Down

I have just tried to get into gc.com to check out the caches you lovely people have set overnight to find a message from the frog stating that the site is down whilst the database servers are being upgraded.......

"Geocaching.com is down for maintenance

We're in the process of upgrading our database servers. This should improve the speed of the web site. Thanks for your patience

In the meantime, you can visit the Groundspeak forums or check out the Groundspeak store. Both of these web sites do not rely on the Geocaching database."

...............:ph34r:

Found this posted in the Getting Started Forum.

"On Tuesday April 26 at 11:00 PM PDT (GMT -7), we will be performing some hardware upgrades to our primary database server as well as installing a second read-only database server. This work is anticipated to take 2-3 hours, and during this time, Geocaching.com and all related services except for the forums will be offline.

I'll post a follow-up notice here when the work is complete.

Elias"

Let's hope it solves some of the Sunday evening problems.

Dave - The Gecko's

Found this posted in the Getting Started Forum.

"On Tuesday April 26 at 11:00 PM PDT (GMT -7), we will be performing some hardware upgrades to our primary database server as well as installing a second read-only database server. This work is anticipated to take 2-3 hours, and during this time, Geocaching.com and all related services except for the forums will be offline.

I'll post a follow-up notice here when the work is complete.

Elias"

Let's hope it solves some of the Sunday evening problems.

Dave - The Gecko's

4.5 hrs and counting :D

How hard could it have been to send out an email to users warning them about this planned outage?

Again - it's the middle of the night in the US, and I guess that's what matters. Mind you, I do pity the people doing the work in said middle of the night :ph34r:

How hard could it have been to send out an email to users warning them about this planned outage?

The outage was announced early yesterday at the top of the forum (under Geocaching Announcements). I think that's a better way of making the announcement than sending thousands of (spam?) e-mails. As it should have been 2-3 hours only it should not have been much of an issue - I guess they didn't expect it to take as long as it has...

The outage was announced early yesterday at the top of the forum (under Geocaching Announcements). I think that's a better way of making the announcement than sending thousands of (spam?) e-mails. As it should have been 2-3 hours only it should not have been much of an issue - I guess they didn't expect it to take as long as it has...

I don't have a clue what the forum usage statistics are, but if more than 50% of active geocachers frequently use the forums, I would be extremely surprised...

(edited for cr@p typing)

Edited by CuplaKiwis