Pa Cachers, Wear Your Orange This Month

Got GPS

Are there any turkey hunters on this board who can comment on any issues relating to sharing the woods with geocachers?

I think that the risk of being shot by a turkey hunter is just about nil but I am concerned that I might disturb them in this activity. I don't worry so much about deer season because the hunters tell me that I might actually help them by kicking out the deer. I just have to concern myself with not looking like a deer so that I don't accidentally get shot by a high powered rifle. I don't know but I'm pretty sure that turkey hunting is different. I don't think that I would be helping them out much by crashing around through the woods when they're trying to do their calls and stuff.

Is it inconsiderate to go geocaching in an area where people are turkey hunting? Should I just stay out of the woods until after 12:00? Do they hunt turkey on Sundays? When does the season end?

Quest Master, the Pennsylvania season will end May 27th. I'm obsessed with spring gobbler, and I suggest you still cache during the season. My only suggestion is that if you hear a turkey gobble, stay away. He may be answering a hen or a hunter, just stay away, no cache is worth it and make sure to wear orange.

Are there any turkey hunters on this board who can comment on any issues relating to sharing the woods with geocachers?

I think that the risk of being shot by a turkey hunter is just about nil but I am concerned that I might disturb them in this activity.  I don't worry so much about deer season because the hunters tell me that I might actually help them by kicking out the deer.  I just have to concern myself with not looking like a deer so that I don't accidentally get shot by a high powered rifle.  I don't know but I'm pretty sure that turkey hunting is different.  I don't think that I would be helping them out much by crashing around through the woods when they're trying to do their calls and stuff.

Is it inconsiderate to go geocaching in an area where people are turkey hunting?  Should I just stay out of the woods until after 12:00?  Do they hunt turkey on Sundays?  When does the season end?

Me personaly, I would not mind. It's everybodys wilderness and your free to use it as well. It would be nice if you did not go crashing about, but I am not going to get mad at you about it. Others however ......

Turkey hunters are, for the most part, going to be camoed up and in place well before you are in the woods. You want to be in place as the birds come down from their overnight roosts and begin moving, either to feed or to mate. Unless you are out quite early, you should not be bothering people during this time.

Turkey hunting is different from deer hunting in that you cannot stalk turkeys. In fact, if you happend to kick one up and chase it towards my spot, it would be illegal for me to shoot it. and if I did and was caught, both you are I would be explaining to the game warden that we are not in cahoots together. Turkeys must be called in by the hunter.

I would be more worried about have the daylights scared out of me as you are standing somwhere and a voice from a camoed hunter you did not see comes from 5 feet away.

-dave

Edited by Phonedave

Here's a fun practical joke. Dress up in feathers and get a turkey call and walk around in the woods makiung a turkey sound. The hunters will get all excited thinking dinner is coming their way, then they see a person covered with feathers. Imagine the look on their faces!!!! Hehehe, I'm ROTFL just thinking about it.

Here's a fun practical joke. Dress up in feathers and get a turkey call and walk around in the woods makiung a turkey sound. The hunters will get all excited thinking dinner is coming their way, then they see a person covered with feathers. Imagine the look on their faces!!!! Hehehe, I'm ROTFL just thinking about it.

briansnat,NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!!! The Hevi-shot and tight patterns of todays Turkey guns , could REALLY , REALLY , REALLY HURT!!!!!

briansnat,NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!!!

Hmmmmmm. Anybody want to buy turkey call? It's unopened.

Isn't the feathers part of your new cache? First to find, pulls the cord to grab the cache and a bucket full of molasses then feathers falls on them!

Kaptain Kondict to the rescue! :laughing: