Cache Buddy

Check to see if there is an event cache in your area.

No easier way to meet other cachers than at a gathering (gaggle? herd? flock?) of 'em

You can also check out your regional forums to find cachers in your area.

Happy caching!!

Ed

edit to add a link to Georgia Geocachers Association

2nd edit for a link to the regional forum

Edited by The Badge & the Butterfly

The people i cache with are mostly my friends, but on an occasion or two i have managed to bump into a fellow cacher by accident (mind you i wasnt exposing the cache, i was so far from any path or trail that the only logical reason to be there was for the cache :ph34r: )

Cant say ive ever done an event myself, most have been rather far away from me. If someone knows of an upcoming even in or around Northern Viriginia i would love to know if it! Happy Trails! :anibad:

When I go with other 'cachers, it is only with two others who are also members of the HAM Radio club. Most times I either go by myself or with my wife. I like to find the caches, and the more folks you go with, the less chance you have of actually finding the cache as opposed to just being there when it is found.

I do enjoy the serendipitous meetings with other cachers that have happened at times on cache hunts. Over the past four years that has only happened a few times, but each time sticks in my memory as one I enjoyed.

Cachers run into other cachers all the time all over the place

I just got an e-mail from someone that found my cache in Japan last year. He said my name looked familiar when I logged his cache in Germany last month. I havn't actually met him, but I thought that was a strange twist.

I also came across a TB that I got to log twice once when I found and placed it in Japan. I came across the same TB in a Cache in the States.

After a run in with some punks on a trail where I live, I started e-mailing other finders of caches in my area with low number of finds and also some of the finders with a high number of finds. I usually heard back from those with a high number of finds. I feel it was because they had a great desire to further geocaching and help another person getting started. After finding out there were many cachers in the area I set up a yahoo group so we can all easily communicate with one another. That has helped pull all of us together and serve as a quick and efficient way for us to communicate with fellow cachers in the area.

In time I started talking with many of the local cachers about events in the area and found out they usually occured maybe every 3 - 6 months. I then made a push to get events going on every month. Once that happened our local caching community has really gained a lot of strength. There's more caches hidden, there's more logs being written, and many of us have started going out caching together.

Maybe shooting an e-mail to some of the local cachers will give you similar results?

email - I email new cachers in the area with congratulations on some of the tough caches when they find them, and hints, if they ask for them, or I'll ask if they want them. I email established cachers with milestone congrats, and to share stories about caches we've both done. I've hosted several events. I'm meeting a guy today to do some hiking caching whom I met initially through an email exchange (he told me the coords on one of my hides s***ed). Having the requisite thick skin to cache ownership I kept exchanging email til we had a meeting of the minds - now we've gotten together a couple of times. Great age we live in.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I've used the e-mail thing extensively as I mentioned in a previous post. I once did this when travelling out of town for business and met the nicest people you could imagine. They took me out for my first night cache trip thru the time I was in the Clearwater, FL area and we had the best time together. They took me to many caches they had already been to and I hope to return the favor to them someday.

There's no better way than to go where geocachers go - to events! I attend all I can get to, as far as 500 miles away - I go to CITOs, campouts, meetings, any place where geocachers meet.

I live in Birmingham, but often attend Georgia and Mississippi Geocachers monthly meetings, each ~ a 150 mile trip. Is it worth it to drive 150 miles for a 1 hour meeting? It is for me, as I have met and afterwards cached with a number of new geobuddies by doing this! And, I am known in the geocaching community all over the southeast as a point of contact for our Association and as a phone-a-friend for anyone caching in Alabama.

I have cached with literally hundreds of people and belong to 9 state associations, and am active in our state association's website, alacache.com

Between attending the events and caching with people afterwards, and meeting folks through our forums on the website, I have developed close personal relationships with 9 new friends, made dozens of geocaching friends, and met hundreds of acquaintences that I communicate or cache with from time to time.

Get out there!

Ed

In July 2001, when all of this was new...

... I posted the coordinates of two cases of beer on ice and when they would be there. I caught 10 geocachers that day.

:rolleyes:

I met a bunch of new friend geonuts when I was travelling last month - I posted to their regional forum, told them I'd be in the area and would they let me know if anything was planned, etc.....they came and rescued me from my hotel and took me out for an entire day of fun fun fun (hi kids - miss you!)....And! they even returned me to my hotel afterwards! sweet!.....

:D

couple weeks ago, I met even more of these geonuts (i swear, the planet's crawling with 'em....), at our local CITO event.....after the trash pickup in the a.m., we spent the afternoon caching caching and more caching.

I hadn't thought about okie's idea for setting out a trap.....but it does have a certain appeal......

Just to chime in: Events are great for this. Shortly after moving to Texas, my wife and I attended the Texas Challange, and had a blast. We met a bunch of great local cachers, and even contributed to North Texas winning the challange!

Events can be a total blast. The one listed above about the beer sounds like a great early example.

I've got a couple of ways I can get in touch with other cachers.

First, as has been mentioned, drop by an event cache. Here in the greater Toronto area, we get anywhere from 50-70 people willing to show up for an evening in the local pub. It's not unusual for a bunch of people to go caching as a group before after an event cache. ( and occasionally during and event too)

Second, use these forums, especially the regional forums. You might even find local groups that have their own web sites with additional forums, chat areas or other services to help geocachers get together. If you happen to be anywhere in Southern Ontario, then the Golden Horseshoe Geocachers site would be a good place to check out.

Third, try the IRC geocaching chat areas. Clayjar's chat area (accessible from the front page of the forums) usually has somebody around. There may be someone in your area who would be willing to team up with you, or at least point you in the direction of another cacher looking to team up. Any local geocaching groups near you may also have a regular IRC chat room as well.

Another way that I could use is a bit of a long shot. I happen to live close enough some other geocachers that they can hear me if I give them a call on the FRS radio. If you live in an area with a lot of caches, and active cachers, it might be worth a try.

good point idiosyncratic, when you go out in search of an FTF your chances are much higher of running into other cachers. I have met cachers a couple of times this way, and also passed some people on the trail to a new cache but didnt realize they were cachers until i emailed them from the cache page that night.

Last night when the site was down, I saw two brand new caches about 20 miles from my house. But . . . I wasn't going to try for FTF without the most recent info.

Today I see that there were co-FTFs on one, and a race for FTF for the other.

Read my log for my one and only FTF here. :rolleyes:

I expanded a bit and added more pictures in my blog entry. :D

I met my geo-buddy at a cache. She was caching alone. Since I want to go caching on a nice day when my husband is at work, I have gone out by myself too. After getting the creeps a couple of times, I contacted my new geo-buddy and asked her if she wanted a geo-buddy. We have been out once (5 finds) and plan another trip soon.

funny story:

The first cacher I met was at the Grove City Outlet Mall in PA. I was searching for the cache in the mall complex(don't worry, I won't add a spoiler), and a gentleman approached me and asked "are you caching?". Slightly surprised I said yes. We swapped some stories and eventually found this micro cache together. Made a new friend that day and checked out some of his caches later on.

My wife(Acid_chipmunk) recently introduced her friend to caching. It took 45 minutes to explain. After going home she looked at the website. The very next day she showed up at my house wanting to borrow my wife and my GPS :laughing:<_< . Now she's hooked. Way to go hunny, (I'm so proud of her, hehe) :laughing: