Die Fees And Your Experiences.

Damenace

Much like others here in the forums I am looking to do a personal coin as well. I would like to know what the die fees are at some of these other companies as well as the experience you had working with them. The only company I have dealt with is KVCoins so input on other companies would be helpful.

Thank you

Damenace

Pressed Metals has been really good, everything delivered exactly when they said it would be (actually a bit earlier).

I get the impression though that their die fees might be a little more than some. For the Calgary Coin, the die was $200 Canadian/side.

Much like others here in the forums I am looking to do a personal coin as well. I would like to know what the die fees are at some of these other companies as well as the experience you had working with them. The only company I have dealt with is KVCoins so input on other companies would be helpful.

Thank you

Damenace

I am in the process of producing a personal geocoin as well. I've received some samples on loan from KV, Pressed Metal Products, D & R Coins, and Quality Lapel Pins.

There are a lot of varieties of the "coins" I've had a chance to evaluate, but one thing I discovered was info about the process.

So far I've learned that actual die-struck coins have a much mre expensive "die-fee" - perhaps as much as $300 or more per side - but the cost per coin is way less - about $1.75 per coin. For an order of 250, the costs per die-struck coin come down to the same as 100 of the cast type - about $5 each.

Die-struck coins are solid metal of whatever the alloy is - in my case, I'm opting toward a Nickel/Silver alloy to give it a silver shininess like half-dollars or old-style silver dollars. The other way, although the companies seem reluctant to describe the process fully, is to make medallions in bronze, pewter, or other materials, sometimes electroplating them with a nickel/silver plating. It sounds to me like these coins are not actually "struck" but are cast.

Some of the samples I have look "cheap" to my descerning eye - too chrome-like, etc., but overall the artwork on all types of coins look terrific. The coins which were loaned to me from Pressed Metal Products really looked and handled like coins. They sent me a copper, silver, gold, and an antigue silver, all struck, not cast. I also am opting for the reeded edge (like half-dollars).

Anyway, I'm looking into coins and prices from two other mints, both of whom strike their coins in house (here in the USA) and that keeps the quality control much higher.

I expect to have my coins finished by the end of May, the design is over, I just have to select the company I'm going with.

--Marc

I've dealt with KV, Pressed Metal and D & R Coins personally. I had good experiences with KV and Pressed Metal. With D&R I felt like I was begging them to take my business, they were slow to respond, and didn't respond well when I asked for changes to be made to designs they had done. I'm not impressed with the workmanship from some of the coins I've seen from other companies either. There is a reason some places are cheaper than others.

I've been working on the Indiana coin. In the process I have looked at a few sites and gotten a couple of quotes.

As I recall, Pressed Metal quoted $360 for dies plus coin costs.

Aaron Charles was 200-300 for dies. 198 for two-sided 2-D dies, and upwards of 300 for two-sided 3-D coins. Right now, that site is down because the company is moving.

Coins for Anything charges $200 for 2-sided 2-D or 3-D coins.